N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am ambivalent. You can be the smartest person in the world while being poor, alone, disabled, totally unhappy and poor. There are probably millions of highly intelligent people who live in a daily misery with no future prospects. If you are born in North Korea, Eritrea or Somalia even an extremely high IQ often cannot save you from going through insane shit. I think high intelligence can have a pretty good utility. I think I read that intelligent people are on average more happy which does not say anything about a single individual.

Let's take Autism or Asperger people. Such people can be insanely intelligent and highly skilled in certain fields. But usually there comes a lot of pain and discrimination along with it. I met people who were bullied, treated as outcasts, became loners etc. and their intelligent could not really solve the problem. Maybe for some it was a resource to adjust their behavior. I experienced such cases. But I am quite sure most of them would have traded their skills with having no condition like that.

It is not seldom that people with insane intelligence have some issues in other aspects of their life. Sometimes very high intelligence can make it difficult to feel part of a group. You might feel like there might be something wrong with you. Or you have to remind yourself all the time not to correct the people around you when they are making thinking fallacies.

In Western democracies growing up in an average household. No drug abuse, no severe domestic violence, free education to a certain extent, average genes (except the IQ) I think high intelligence can be a very good asset. Capitalism is a game which can be won in several ways. Most (not all) require intelligence though. There are also different forms of intelligence one could argue. Even body control could be considered part of one certain intelligence but I am no expert on that.

The smart criminals don't plan to rob a bank despite the fact I am also a little bit hyped for GTA 6. The smart criminals become politicians, CEOs or bankers. I think George Santos is not one of them. His lies were way too stupid. The German chancellor is probably involved in a big bank scandal. (cum-ex. English speakers will laugh about the name) It is a tax evasion scheme of banks. It is very likely he once gave a bank a free pass in his career. And recently a laptop with a lot of evidences suddenly disappeared. Lmao and the media barely talks about it because the details are very complex. Well I would still vote again for him. The other candidates are probably similar corrupt and he did good reforms for poor people and this is what counts for me. Do I trust him? Bitch my ass. Liar. Not comparable with Trump but still a little bit embarrassing.

I want to say if you are intelligent you can have a good life, get away with a lot of stuff, achieve something - if the circumstances are right. Assuming all other factors are the same intelligence (as the different factor) can help you a lot in life but it certainly is no guarantee for a good or happy life. Not at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: sserafim and Forever Sleep
edu0z

edu0z

carried away by a moonlight shadow
Aug 25, 2021
I am ambivalent. You can be the smartest person in the world while being poor, alone, disabled, totally unhappy and poor. There are probably millions of highly intelligent people who live in a daily misery with no future prospects. If you are born in North Korea, Eritrea or Somalia even an extremely high IQ often cannot save you from going through insane shit. I think high intelligence can have a pretty good utility. I think I read that intelligent people are on average more happy which does not say anything about a single individual.

Let's take Autism or Asperger people. Such people can be insanely intelligent and highly skilled in certain fields. But usually there comes a lot of pain and discrimination along with it. I met people who were bullied, treated as outcasts, became loners etc. and their intelligent could not really solve the problem. Maybe for some it was a resource to adjust their behavior. I experienced such cases. But I am quite sure most of them would have traded their skills with having no condition like that.

It is not seldom that people with insane intelligence have some issues in other aspects of their life. Sometimes very high intelligence can make it difficult to feel part of a group. You might feel like there might be something wrong with you. Or you have to remind yourself all the time not to correct the people around you when they are making thinking fallacies.

In Western democracies growing up in an average household. No drug abuse, no severe domestic violence, free education to a certain extent, average genes (except the IQ) I think high intelligence can be a very good asset. Capitalism is a game which can be won in several ways. Most (not all) require intelligence though. There are also different forms of intelligence one could argue. Even body control could be considered part of one certain intelligence but I am no expert on that.

The smart criminals don't plan to rob a bank despite the fact I am also a little bit hyped for GTA 6. The smart criminals become politicians, CEOs or bankers. I think George Santos is not one of them. His lies were way too stupid. The German chancellor is probably involved in a big bank scandal. (cum-ex. English speakers will laugh about the name) It is a tax evasion scheme of banks. It is very likely he once gave a bank a free pass in his career. And recently a laptop with a lot of evidences suddenly disappeared. Lmao and the media barely talks about it because the details are very complex. Well I would still vote again for him. The other candidates are probably similar corrupt and he did good reforms for poor people and this is what counts for me. Do I trust him? Bitch my ass. Liar. Not comparable with Trump but still a little bit embarrassing.

I want to say if you are intelligent you can have a good life, get away with a lot of stuff, achieve something - if the circumstances are right. Assuming all other factors are the same intelligence (as the different factor) can help you a lot in life but it certainly is no guarantee for a good or happy life. Not at all.

An important thing to take into account is the conditions, as you say, a person who is born in a country at war or in a dictatorship has it more difficult. But still, leaving that aside, imagining a group of people. I think we have to differentiate the type of intelligence. A person can know the first 1000 digits of the number pi, or be an eminence in quantum physics, or be a very talented painter or artist... but when we refer to power (be it political power or money), I believe That social intelligence is much more important. There are good studies where they analyze a group of people from the time they are little in school, and children with average or even mediocre grades end up being the bosses or succeeding much more in life than those children with perfect grades but very poor skills in the social field and emotional management.

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim and noname223
Krisis

Krisis

Nov 16, 2023
Yes, but it is a component of what holds precedence in this context, namely socioeconomic status.

Reactions: sserafim and アホペンギン
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think it's certainly an atrribute that can help in life but probably not by itself. I don't entirely know what the other attributes are but it stands to reason- not all intelligent people are successful. It's hard to know what held them back. Self doubt maybe, social anxiety and arkwardness. Why does the public in general take to some people and not others? I don't know really. I think for power though- you probably do need public support or the opposite- notoriety maybe.

Reactions: sserafim
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
It does contribute to having power but it isn't the sole component.

Reactions: sserafim