Abandoned Character

Abandoned Character

(he./him)
Mar 24, 2023
Happiness is a trap. We are designed to be constantly in a state of discontent, yearning for the next moment of transient satisfaction,

Part of recovery, for me, is understanding that happiness, like all emotional states, is temporary.

• Love
Reactions: AllCatsAreGrey, sserafim, Forever Sleep and 2 others
Rational man

Rational man

Enlightened
Oct 19, 2021
How to define it would help!. We seem to have this idea that happyness will solve problems but isnt life one of suffering anyhow. Many people front a sense of contentment but its ' expected ' of them.

Reactions: sserafim, Abandoned Character and WAITING TO DIE
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
What is this happiness thing ?
I've heard people talk about it but never really experienced it myself.
But I suppose people seek happiness in material possessions and relationships.
Yet for most people these things never last, and they end up experiencing loss and discontent in one form or another.
So yes, I think happiness is a curse, because it never really lasts.
Suffering and loss are inevitable.

I

idk3

Student
Sep 10, 2023
Happiness isn't a curse, but false hope is.

Reactions: haibane and sserafim
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I don't believe in such a thing anyway, I believe the whole idea of happiness is a delusion invented by humans in denial. Existence is just a terrible burden that only causes harm where all that's inevitable is suffering, decay and loss, I certainly see existence as a curse that is better off erased.

Reactions: haibane, sserafim and borderlinee
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I'd say sentience in general is probably the curse.

I don't think the ability to feel happiness on its own is a curse. Life would be even more shit without it. I guess I see happiness as a guide as to what to try and go for in life. (Doesn't mean we'll achieve it of course.)

Still- I wouldn't say not being able to feel happiness would do us any favours. It doesn't seem to stop people feeling its opposite- misery. Plus- they seem to have nothing to strive towards to even hope to get better because they don't remember being any other way. You could of course argue that there is no 'getting better.' Recovery is maybe an illusion to them. But- if we're stuck here for now- I don't know, I think I'd prefer to have just a sprinkling of happy times to make it easier.

I think where we come unstuck is- maybe our expectations are too high. Take Christmas- my parents will grumble that they were happy when Santa left them a tangerine. Imagine a child being happy with a tangerine now! Of course- a child that was starving would be. I think our modern 'problem' is that in some ways, we are over indulged. Not all that much is special anymore because everything is available- even if it's on credit!

Plus- we are told what should make us happy so much. There is so much expectation placed on people to achieve things, to buy things, to show the world how successful- and happy they are on social media. When- I think so many people are wearing masks. It's such a strain to put on that act all the time.

Having said that- I do see where you are coming from. Some of my greatest lows have followed happier periods- or, at least- the hope for something I thought (or knew) would make me happy.

Reactions: sserafim
borderlinee

borderlinee

Oct 6, 2023
I'd say consciousness and will is a curse. People constantly chase happiness when it's really just an illusion, you suffer, you might get what you want and be happy for a little bit, after that you're just bored and put back into suffering. It's really just a never-ending cycle.

A

alterationitfinds

Sep 21, 2023
yes it is a curse.
what goes up must come down.
you feel better and you see hope and then something will always stand on it so your better off always walking away from it.

M

MrThe

Music is the way
Oct 8, 2023
Just like happyness, sadness is temporary. They come in equal portions, and you have only seen the sad part.

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Life itself is a curse
I don't believe in such a thing anyway, I believe the whole idea of happiness is a delusion invented by humans in denial. Existence is just a terrible burden that only causes harm where all that's inevitable is suffering, decay and loss, I certainly see existence as a curse that is better off erased.
Yeah happiness is just their coping mechanism, it's their hopium and copium…
I'd say consciousness and will is a curse. People constantly chase happiness when it's really just an illusion, you suffer, you might get what you want and be happy for a little bit, after that you're just bored and put back into suffering. It's really just a never-ending cycle.
Consciousness is the biggest curse. Wdym by will, like free will or willpower?

Last edited:
Reactions: haibane
haibane

haibane

Reki
Sep 27, 2023
Definitely, happiness is pointless in every way. And anyway some of us will never feel happiness in their entire life, looking for happiness in life is definitely a mistake imo

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Definitely, happiness is pointless in every way. And anyway some of us will never feel happiness in their entire life, looking for happiness in life is definitely a mistake imo
Yeah and like happiness doesn't justify or negate the sadness or pain or suffering endured in life. The fleeting moments of happiness don't make life worth living imo. The bad parts outweigh the good parts. The worst thing to have though is false hope that things will get better. This is the main pro-life tactic and belief, they're blinded by false optimism and hope and think that everyone's life will improve. They think that you should hold on because your life *could* get better, and that you're a "coward" for escaping the troubles of life, and for wanting out. However, there's no guarantee that life will get better. It could even get worse…

Reactions: haibane
haibane

haibane

Reki
Sep 27, 2023
Yeah and like happiness doesn't justify or negate the sadness or pain or suffering endured in life. The fleeting moments of happiness don't make life worth living imo. The bad parts outweigh the good parts. The worst thing to have though is false hope that things will get better. This is the main pro-life tactic and belief, they're blinded by false optimism and hope and think that everyone's life will improve. They think that you should hold on because your life *could* get better, and that you're a "coward" for escaping the troubles of life, and for wanting out. However, there's no guarantee that life will get better. It could even get worse…
Word. And most of the time it doesn't get better too, it's literally hoping for happiness while falling lower and lower into depression.

CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

Metal Fan- Wants to hang Under The Oak
May 8, 2023
Happiness isn't a curse, but false hope is.
"Hope, in reality, is the worst of all evils for it prolongs the torment of man"- Nietzsche

Reactions: idk3 and sserafim