C

Carly97

Oct 21, 2020
Is dehydration death painful of given sedatives and pain relief?

Reactions: ShornSoloists
peacechoice

peacechoice

Experienced
Oct 11, 2020
I would imagine. Yes. I'm not sure I'd have to do some research.

Reactions: ShornSoloists, AprilsBlessings, Rn110bg101 and 1 other person
C

Carly97

Oct 21, 2020
I would imagine. Yes. I'm not sure I'd have to do some research.
Can you please do some research for me. I have filled an advanced health directive stating no nutrtion no hydration as I'm losing capacity my hearing is gone, I'm getting locked in my eyes and body.

Reactions: ShornSoloists
HelloHell

HelloHell

Arcanist
Dec 26, 2019
Dehydration death without pain killers would be painful.
I once didn't drink for 1 or 2 days and my kidney started to hurt so bad. Idk if it's just my body or it's normal to feel that way, but that's my experience.
Didn't take any pain killer though, so idk if that would help.

Reactions: ShornSoloists, Pen>Sword, Isadeth and 2 others
C

Carly97

Oct 21, 2020
Dehydration death without pain killers would be painful.
I once didn't drink for 1 or 2 days and my kidney started to hurt so bad. Idk if it's just my body or it's normal to feel that way, but that's my experience.
Didn't take any pain killer though, so idk if that would help.
Hi I've filled out an advanced health directive stating no nutrtion no hydration. I hope they will give me pain killers and sedatives. I'm losing capacity my hearing is gone and almost bedridden locked in throughy eyes.

• Aww..
Reactions: Bauhaus
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
Is dehydration death painful of given sedatives and pain relief?
Studies have shown that for terminally ill patients who choose to die, deaths by terminal dehydration are generally peaceful, and not associated with suffering, when supplemented with adequate pain medication. All ages may feel sudden head rushes, dizziness, and loss of appetite, as well.

I also read this:
Be advised that death due to dehydration can occur in 3 days (or less in hot weather) and no one normally lives more than about 5-6 days without water

and this:
Effects: Your body is having trouble maintaining blood pressure. To survive, it slows blood flow to nonvital organs, such as your kidneys and gut, causing damage. Without your kidneys filtering your blood, cellular waste quickly builds up. You're literally dying for a glass of water.

If it's hot out, your uncontrollable body temperature means your vital organs risk overheating; liver failure will probably kill you. But if conditions are mild, toxic sludge builds up in your blood, and your coroner's report will more likely read: kidney failure.

The stages are:
1. thirst
2.fainting
3.organ damage
4.death

I would be thinking of kidney stones which are very painful. The kidneys need water to work and minerals in urine can build up and form stones without water.

I hope this helps. My heart goes out to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShornSoloists, Pen>Sword, sourpink and 2 others
Isadeth

Isadeth

Visionary
Jun 12, 2020
I've seen dehydration. It is not a way I would to go. Not saying otherwise can't choose it and it be okay for them... but my experience dictates it's not a way for me. The cramps, dry mouth, possible bad hallucinations, kidney/flank pain, and more is not appealing to me.

It's so random how your body will react for for me it's not a gamble I'm willing to take. Days to pass seems cruel when there are other instant ways.

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
This is worth a read:

Even with tons of pain management and assistance, it seems very difficult to endure.

Personally, just thinking about how miserable it is to just be really thirsty and not able to get a drink for a little while tells me I don't want anything to do with dehydration.

G

Goodbye710

Student
Jul 12, 2020
I was caregiver to my mom who passed this way. I also nearly passed away a couple months ago from similar from bad heart and I refused water. I barely made it out alive.

My thoughts are, if it's the end of your life where your body has given out, then it isn't bad. Psychologicaly distressing and uncomfortable more than physically painful. You'll need adequate opiods which will help with air hunger as well as pain and to help psychologically. You'll also want someone there 24/7 for emotional support.

In the toothpaste aisle of stores, they also have sprays and gums and liquid and gels that you can put in your mouth that does help with dehydration of your mouth and lips. It does help a lot and I would recommend as your mouth and lips will dry out. Chapstick on your lips at the very least.

If your body is strong enough when you start dehydration and starvation, I don't recommend as it's hard. Too hard for anyone with a strong body. You'll want to start when your body is very weak, in my opinion. When your body is not strong, then it's not as bad but can be psychologically distressing. Again, you'll want opioids to help here. You'll also want someone by your side.

Last edited:
mini_weeny

mini_weeny

Every cradle is a grave
Jan 5, 2021
I was caregiver to my mom who passed this way. I also nearly passed away a couple months ago from similar from bad heart and I refused water. I barely made it out alive.

My thoughts are, if it's the end of your life where your body has given out, then it isn't bad. Psychologicaly distressing and uncomfortable more than physically painful. You'll need adequate opiods which will help with air hunger as well as pain and to help psychologically. You'll also want someone there 24/7 for emotional support.

In the toothpaste aisle of stores, they also have sprays and gums and liquid and gels that you can put in your mouth that does help with dehydration of your mouth and lips. It does help a lot and I would recommend as your mouth and lips will dry out. Chapstick on your lips at the very least.

If your body is strong enough when you start dehydration and starvation, I don't recommend as it's hard. Too hard for anyone with a strong body. You'll want to start when your body is very weak, in my opinion. When your body is not strong, then it's not as bad but can be psychologically distressing. Again, you'll want opioids to help here. You'll also want someone by your side.
Sounds better than hanging and other violent methods though. Kidney failure is a risk if botched so, still.... intriguing as seems not violent or gory

Cherrypea

Cherrypea

I remember when all this will be again
May 3, 2020
As a nurse I've looked after end of life patients where all treatment is stopped including fluids. They are given anti sickness drugs and morphine infusions. We would say they are for TLC only and they weren't distressed x