N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am going to college in Germany. Germany is in general more lefty than the US. But the culture war not that explosive. But still many criticize that freedom of speech would be in danger.

My college knows from my disability and I got affirmative action. The professor looked at me strange when he granted it to me as if I exploited the system. I don't think I am doing that. The affirmative action is generous but does not help this much. My disability is way worse that the compensation.
I read there should be new measures for gender inclusivity. I am in favor of that. Though I absolutely don't know how it feels to be for example trans at a college. I don't know whether they experience discrimination and how much. I think in some courses some people considered me the prototypical white privileged guy with the insane stamina. Nothing could be further from the truth. In other courses my illness was that obvious that only a moron could not notice it.

I am not sure about the political landscape at college. In general I am pretty bad connected and rather an outcast. The usual social interactions overwhelm me I cannot stomach even more. There were elections in my country 2 years ago. The youg generation prefered especially two parties. The green party and the neoliberal freedom party. It is hard two translate them. Many were surprised that so many young people want an economical right-wing approach. Many people at college want that weed becomes legal.

I have not enough connection to give a representative view on political parties that get voted by peers. Really I don't know. In some courses it was obvious that I suffer from mental illness. Noone ever mocked me for that. I like that as adults most people ignore that in school I would have been bullied for it.

Though the first time I was at (my first) college people mocked me when I was psychotic. I am not sure about all interaction because I was paranoid. Some people probably did not know I had a condition. Furthermore I kind of acted like a manic dick and kind of deserved some comments. Though when I was in a psychotic manic episode I slightly flirted with women and some people bullied me then. I was delusional but there really some big assholes. I almost killed myself afterwards because of the shame. Though the truth is these people would not care at all. Personally I think suicide as a sort of revenge should be no option for me.

There is the notion of college as a safespace. Sometimes i feel save there. Though rather due to the fact I don't have a boss who can insult for being such a weirdo. They cannot fire me. I have the feeling the people there are more educated and sometimes that correlates with being aware of others vulnerabilities. I surround myself with empathetic people and this requires some level of emotional intelligence. In the past I started a traineeship and my closest friend said some pejorative things that my illness costs the state so much money. I also got kind of rude comments of my currenty extremely savvy friend at college. But the pool of people was bigger. The thing is the first person I spoke to became my best friend at college. He is such a genuinely good guy but soon he will go to a foreign country.

I had the feeling there is much tolerance at my college. Though I am not sure whether my standards are simply low. School was a hell for me. Maybe it is just the difference of age which makes the difference.

I think many people at my college are leftwingers. Some are aware of their privileges some are not. I am barely engaged in clubs so I cannot really say how good the debate culture is at my college. I could tell an interesting anecdote though this could doxx me so I won't tell it. I can at least say there were some students protests when a professor said something politically incorrect.

What is your feeling at your college? I don't really have a strong opinion. Many only fight for themselves at college. Though there are others who are really altruistic.

• Love
Reactions: lachrymost and Ultracheese
Ultracheese

Ultracheese

Arcanist
Dec 1, 2022
I like to think I got into college based on my own merits, but I have a lot of doubt. The college I'll be going to is in the South, but in a bigger city that has friendlier attitudes towards liberal issues. From what I have read, the students are a mixed bag. Greek life (fraternities and sororities) are a big deal here and I can't join them because they don't allow trans people. Our (American) football team is also a big deal and people seem to always attend games. My college is also considered one of the top party schools in the country, and there's been a lot of reports of sexual assaults, especially linked to fraternities. At least for my college, I think people claim to be more liberal than they are but don't practice what they preach. They like to preach about the importance of diversity, but it doesn't show in their actions or admissions demographics.

I am lucky enough that I was able to get accommodations. I am thankful I took a gap year because it has taken months to get accommodations. I had to call the disability office several times a day for weeks to get things worked out. But it was worth it, I'm getting everything I need, including a single dorm. College is not very friendly towards disabled people. You have to be able to know what you want when asking for accommodations and state your case for why you need them and why you wouldn't be able to function without them. It's not like in the K-12 system where you work together with a counselor to find out what you need.

I cannot speak from anyone else's experiences but my own, but based on my skepticism towards academia in general, I will say that I believe most colleges are not as enlightened as they portray themselves to be.

• Informative
Reactions: noname223 and SuicidalOrganism