Do you think there is a possibility to be free from inner suffering in this life?

• Yes

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Whatever dude, get lost. would you?

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

“Ye shall be as gods..🍎 🐍”
Jun 22, 2021
Buddhism claims among other things that the path of enlightenment is the way out of suffering. It leaves me feeling I am either not getting it right or not doing enough to free myself from suffering in this life. How do you feel about this proposition by Buddhism?

• Hugs
  • Yay!
  • Informative
Reactions: lobster salad, Blondi, narval and 1 other person
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I have a Quran, a Bible and a Buddhism book. I've read a bit I'd the Buddhism bit, seems like every bad action we make in this life will define us on the next life , hope there us non please. ps, I read 7 pages only. The Quran is very hard to understand, I tried my best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snake of Eden
narval

narval

Enlightened
Jan 22, 2020
I don't get those things, i don't want illumination, just live in peace and quiet. Why i should go for increasing my suffering in this life? It's the opposite of what i want.

If one wants to live being a poor and misserable because spiritual things and so, it's his problem. Don't try sell it to me :notsure:

• Hugs
Reactions: Blondi, Snake of Eden and markimobzzdeasui
Blondi

Blondi

Iš Lietuvos
Feb 2, 2021
Whatever dude, get lost. would you?

• Yay!
  • Hmph!
Reactions: nolongerhuman, lobster salad, WrongPlaceWrongTime and 1 other person
markimobzzdeasui

markimobzzdeasui

Life is a cruel joke
Oct 24, 2021
I believe such religious concepts are many times too much complicated for practical life. Also Buddhism,along with many eastern religions like Hinduism and Jainism are best understood if we try to trace them back to their original ideas,concepts about creation and other school of thoughts. Otherwise what I have seen is that it gives one false sense of belief,guilt trips them to their sufferings and then leave them with perpetual frustration. Like for example the concept of Karma,death and rebirth. Many people don't actually know that there are basically 3 types of karmas defined in such religions which people cannot easily associate if one would want to match them with the practical life and science. I haven't found much success with their practice. Sorry if this isn't the kind of answer you were looking for.
Just want to add something. I have read somewhere that Buddha considered attachment as the root cause of all sufferings. Many people oversimplify or misunderstand this to mean to just leave all worldly desires and materialism but in reality it is the whole concept of Atman

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: blueclover_., again_noidea, Lostandlooking and 1 other person
Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

Jun 22, 2021
. Sorry if this isn't the kind of answer you were looking for.
No apologies are needed. This is exactly the type of answers I am seeking. Just plain opinions about personal experiences with the subject matter. Thank you kindly

Last edited:
Reactions: markimobzzdeasui
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
The way I see it, life will inflict pain no matter what. Even if you're a monk, you're living like you're in a sensory deprivation tank, which I'd argue isn't really living. Whether internal or external, pain and suffering will get you in the end.

• Love
Reactions: blueclover_., TerminalConscience, gottago222 and 3 others
Oblivion Access

Oblivion Access

I don't know anything
Jul 5, 2019
I like buddhism overall but I reject the notions of Karma and Rebirth as absurd. You wanna tell me a child that starves to death or gets cancer earned that in a past life? Preposterous.

OP, if you are unable to reach 'enlightenment' (which I don't really think humans can attain, just greater insight and inner peace) you are not to blame. You and most other humans, myself included, are just not in a position / weren't given the tools to do so. Last thing we need is more guilt and shame.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime and Snake of Eden
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
I've never found more profound teachings on suffering. I've studied Theravada on and off. The problem is that rewiring your human mind like that is hard. When practiced right, Buddhism is the like the elite forces of spiritual practices. You need a hardcore level of endurance and you need a high amount of intelligence to read a lot, contemplate and comprehend advanced teachings. I have the utmost respect for people who follow through with that path.

My personality doesn't fit it for a number of reasons, but I respect the dharma and I will probably always go back to it now and again.

Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

Jun 22, 2021
I've never found more profound teachings on suffering. I've studied Theravada on and off. The problem is that rewiring your human mind like that is hard. When practiced right, Buddhism is the like the elite forces of spiritual practices. You need a hardcore level of endurance and you need a high amount of intelligence to read a lot, contemplate and comprehend advanced teachings. I have the utmost respect for people who follow through with that path.

My personality doesn't fit it for a number of reasons, but I respect the dharma and I will probably always go back to it now and again.
That makes it niche, unrealistic and impractical then. Do you agree?

Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
They seem very chill. They might have come to the same conclusion as me that the only way to deal with the internal suffering is to have external peace

Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
That makes it niche, unrealistic and impractical then. Do you agree?
Somewhat, but not entirely. If you can't commit to monastic life you won't become an arahant, but you can reach sotapanna. If you want to become a high level anything you need to have the same level of commitment and mind power. You can't become a renowned pianist or composer without the same traits. You might be able to have some fun and play some nice songs though. It's not a total loss, it provides an enhancement to quality of life, outlook, and if you believe in the cycle of reincarnation it sets you on the right track.

Reactions: Snake of Eden
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Suffering is inherent to all existence. Whoever it was that said "I think, therefore I am" should have had it followed with "I am, therefore I suffer".

I don't have the attention span for meditation, it just puts me to sleep or keeps me bored. All my attempts to try have gone unsuccessfully. One time as I felt I was close to reaching a breakthrough and feeling the inner peace or whatever I suddenly had a thought that that would be the perfect opportunity for somebody to jumpscare me and now the thought of meditation fills me with MORE anxiety.

And yeah as was said before, karma and reincarnation seems kind of cruel because it implies everyone who's a victim now is so because they deserve it from a past life PLUS they inevitably and unintentionally doomed someone else to suffer in the next life by being their victim. The only way reincarnation could make sense to me is with the "egg" theory or whatever it's called. You know, the one that says we're actually all the same consciousness just spread across time and space being put through all this until we're ready for…something… At least that theory seems to imply reincarnation has a purpose, even though it still seems a little tedious…

• Love
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, TerminalConscience, Istanbulite and 2 others
Wails

Wails

Ghostly wailing
Jan 16, 2022
Buddhism claims among other things that the path of enlightenment is the way out of suffering. It leaves me feeling I am either not getting it right or not doing enough to free myself from suffering in this life. How do you feel about this proposition by Buddhism?
I was born to a Hindu family and raised as one (though I don't follow a religion rn). Hindu and Buddhist philosophy is pretty similar in terms of karma and reincarnation. The fact that they say your sins will follow you to the next life is kinda messed up. So if you are suffering rn it is probably because you committed a similar sin in your previous life. it can and does contribute to a lot of victim-blaming.

Reactions: motel rooms and Snake of Eden
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
The people who have attained liberation say that the state cannot be described, hence each must experience it for themselves. I've known many people who have had satori experiences (that is, short-lived enlightenment experiences). In fact, probably most people within Advaita and similar communities have had least had glimpses. Such glimpses have also occurred to people in moments of extreme trauma, in NDEs or even some very profound psychedelic experiences. I am somewhat bitterly not among those who has had the experience, but I've researched the topic over decades, such that I can easily guide other people.

What is very rare is achieving that state permanently. A small number do so very easily, which is usually attributed to work done in past lifetimes. We are not all evolved to the same degree (this should be fairly obvious just from looking at the world). Questions of karma, future lifetimes, mortality of the body or decision-making are all permanently extinct for one who is enlightened, and it is ultimately everyone's destiny. Most of the well-documented examples of enlightened jnanis are from India.

Talking about meditation, etc., as a means of improving mental health or making life better is a very different beast to pursuing the permanent destruction of the individual sense of 'I'. Yes, permanent death of the personal self is the goal of sincere seekers, not self-improvement. Best not to conflate the two.

If you or anyone else is genuinely serious about this topic, send me a PM as I can definitely help.

• Informative
Reactions: lostundead
Live Free or Die

Live Free or Die

A wise man can always be found alone.
Jan 12, 2022
I read quite a bit on buddhism. I don't understand some of it. I suppose that's why monks have to dedicate their whole life to understanding it.

One such concept I don't get is this: Buddhist believe that every living cell contains consciousness, but we do NOT have a soul. So where does this consciousness come from? How are we reborn containing our past lives karma if we have no soul?

Snapchat 568710418

• Informative
Reactions: lostundead
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
The way I see it, life will inflict pain no matter what. Even if you're a monk, you're living like you're in a sensory deprivation tank, which I'd argue isn't really living. Whether internal or external, pain and suffering will get you in the end.

Of course.

Nirvana? If you wanna get rid of pain, pull a Cobain.

• Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: Angst Filled Fuck Up and Snake of Eden
DeathSaves

DeathSaves

Apr 19, 2019
Depends on the version of the buddhism theories you embrace; suffering is an illusion from the impersonal observer's perspective, but from the illusionary self's perspective, it's also true, and while the impermanent self sees that suffering as graspable, the non-self realizes it's not. Both contradict each other, while both complement each other: both are true.

I'll let a secret slip by, though: buddhism is a rather hot source for witchcraft rituals that have a lot to do with the impermanence of things, and how reality is a complex construction that might be disassembled into simpler parts. But that, as they say, is that...

Reactions: Foresight and Live Free or Die
T

TerminalConscience

Feb 1, 2022
I think it's right about the suffering. Idk about everything else

Reactions: Foresight
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
In order to become enlightened - i.e. completely free - you have to practise according to the eigthfold path for a long time. If you practise every day, all the time you become the Buddha.

I don't think you can be free from suffering if you practise a little here and there. It's just like learning maths or a very difficult language. You can only become proficient if you put in the work.

• Hugs
Reactions: JustAFriendlyGuy, 9BBN and Foresight