• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
What is it? In English it is quite a difficult word.
Asceticism is a lifestyle characterized by abstinence from sensual pleasures, often for the purpose of pursuing spiritual goal. Ascetics may withdraw from the world for their practices or continue to be part of their society, but typically adopt a frugal lifestyle, characterised by the renunciation of material possessions and physical pleasures, and also spend time fasting while concentrating on the practice of religion or reflection upon spiritual matters. Various individuals have also attempted an ascetic lifestyle to free themselves from addictions, some of them particular to modern life, such as money, alcohol, tobacco, drugs, entertainment, sex, food, etc.

To be honest I can relate way more to the German wikipedia article. I use google translator to translate the text I am lazy this evening and don't have much time. Recenty I go to bed way too late.

Here a part of the German wikipedia article translated by google translater.

Asceticism (Ancient Greek ἄσκησις áskēsis), occasionally also asceticism, is an expression derived from the Greek verb ἀσκεῖν askeín 'practice'. Since antiquity it has referred to a practice within the framework of self-training for religious or philosophical reasons. The aim is to acquire virtues or skills, self-control and strengthening of character. The practitioner is called an ascetic (Greek ἀσκητής askētḗs).

Ascetic training involves disciplining both thought and volition and conduct. On the one hand, this includes "positively" persistently practicing the desired virtues or skills, and on the other hand "negatively" avoiding everything that the ascetic believes stands in the way of achieving his or her goal. The starting point is the assumption that a disciplined way of life requires the control of thoughts and drives. The most striking effect on everyday life consists in the voluntary renunciation of certain comforts and pleasures that the ascetic considers to be a hindrance and incompatible with his ideal of life. In most cases, the renunciation primarily affects the areas of stimulants and sexuality. In addition, there are measures for physical and mental training, in some cases also exercises in enduring pain.

Okay now my part. I am no expert and I don't know much. But when I was a teenager I sympathized with asceticism. Not concerning sexuality though. I think I was influenced by domestic abuse as a child. I think the way I practiced it was detrimental. I found the idea appealing to dedicate my life to a higher purpose. In truth I was just kind of obsessed to gain power because of my nightmarish childhood. But I was ambivalent. I had this desire to gain power but I wanted to reach it in my own moral way. Honestly my approach was not healthy. It was way too extreme. I currently try to find a milder version of it. I am extremely self-disciplined. Probably due to my abuse. It was a way to punish me. Though this disclipline is sometimes also benefical. When I was a teenager it was way too extreme. It caused severe suicidal thoughts. but my mania contributed to this extreme form.

I like this notion of higher virtues. It seems to give life a meaning. Currently one of my virtues is to educate me. And in some form this can comfort me. It seems to give life some sort of purpose. But it eats you alive. When it becomes too extreme you become unhappy and your are always scared that you are not enough (e.g. educated).

I was always interested in philosophy. I wanted to achieve something in my life. I had these metaphysical goals which potentially could have contributed to a materially very well life. Though due to the fact I became mentally ill on my way I fear I will suffer poverty. I think for a well life often the metaphysical and material components should be fulfilled.

I was prepared to suffer on my way. Though the suffering was too extreme. Mostly because of my mental illness. The usual average suffering is no problem for me. But this extreme insane pain no thanks I think I rather quit. This is the moment when I moved this thread from recovery in off-topic. I cannot really sell this as a good way to live when it backfired so much in my case.

Though in general I think asceticism has the potential to be helpful I am very ascetic concerning drugs. I don't drink alcohol, never took other illegal drugs. Though my guilty pleasure is coffee. I admit that. But my abstinence of drugs helped to stabilize me. My condition would have been probably way worse if drugs would have been a way to cope with my pain. I am also very abstinent concerning food. I don't eat sweets since almost a decade. Many people in family say they could never have the discipline for this life style. I don't know in some way of form this discipline gives you self-esteem. You are proud of you how disciplined you are. when you reach your goals etc. Though maybe I am just too obsessed what others think of me.

I like self-control but maybe I am just too neurotic and I suffer from OCD. There are some pathologies which accompanied my asceticism. I also wanted io strengthen my character with that. I think in some way of form I reached that. Though I wanted to have extreme self-control of my life and neglected necessities like sleep this led to my collapse. But as I said mania was also responsible for that.

I would have liked to elaborated more on the details. But I really should go to sleep ealier. Probably almost noone will care about it anyway.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Élégie, MountainMonkey, freedompass and 1 other person
Venus13

Venus13

-
Oct 2, 2022
I care, this is a great topic. I need to get more coffee for this. I do believe asceticism is key to spiritual wisdom. I don't think it's the only key, but a spiritual journey with no experience with asceticism is not going to be the most fruitful. I wouldn't trust any spiritual practitioner that never engages with restraint.

I think asceticism done well earns you freedom. It tames the mind and you aren't pulled in every direction. It's not half as simple as just dropping things though, especially if you're someone with addiction or mental illness. I pair spirituality with psychology to try to get something done. I've done the steep drop into stark asceticism several times this year and the results were quite bad. The experience was like plunging into the deep end not knowing how to swim. I have too much trauma brewing underneath. The sensual joys kept that terror at bay. Interesting thing to do though. You learn a lot about yourself when you take away the sensual distractions.

I don't recommend doing this as a form of control but rather release. If you're searching for control it might cause neuroticism and a judgment of good or bad, failure or success. If you're seeking release it comes, although slowly. Your mindframe and what you're aiming for will change your experience with it. I think everyone should practice this discipline to some degree.

I admire people with built up discipline. I'm naturally a very indulgent, hedonistic person. Anything to sooth the pain. I've definitely tamed a lot of my indulgences but the ones that remain will go out kicking and screaming internally.

Reactions: Élégie, MountainMonkey and whatevs
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
What is it? In English it is quite a difficult word.
Asceticism is a lifestyle characterized by abstinence from sensual pleasures, often for the purpose of pursuing spiritual goal. Ascetics may withdraw from the world for their practices or continue to be part of their society, but typically adopt a frugal lifestyle, characterised by the renunciation of material possessions and physical pleasures, and also spend time fasting while concentrating on the practice of religion or reflection upon spiritual matters. Various individuals have also attempted an ascetic lifestyle to free themselves from addictions, some of them particular to modern life, such as money, alcohol, tobacco, drugs, entertainment, sex, food, etc.

To be honest I can relate way more to the German wikipedia article. I use google translator to translate the text I am lazy this evening and don't have much time. Recenty I go to bed way too late.

Here a part of the German wikipedia article translated by google translater.

Asceticism (Ancient Greek ἄσκησις áskēsis), occasionally also asceticism, is an expression derived from the Greek verb ἀσκεῖν askeín 'practice'. Since antiquity it has referred to a practice within the framework of self-training for religious or philosophical reasons. The aim is to acquire virtues or skills, self-control and strengthening of character. The practitioner is called an ascetic (Greek ἀσκητής askētḗs).

Ascetic training involves disciplining both thought and volition and conduct. On the one hand, this includes "positively" persistently practicing the desired virtues or skills, and on the other hand "negatively" avoiding everything that the ascetic believes stands in the way of achieving his or her goal. The starting point is the assumption that a disciplined way of life requires the control of thoughts and drives. The most striking effect on everyday life consists in the voluntary renunciation of certain comforts and pleasures that the ascetic considers to be a hindrance and incompatible with his ideal of life. In most cases, the renunciation primarily affects the areas of stimulants and sexuality. In addition, there are measures for physical and mental training, in some cases also exercises in enduring pain.

Okay now my part. I am no expert and I don't know much. But when I was a teenager I sympathized with asceticism. Not concerning sexuality though. I think I was influenced by domestic abuse as a child. I think the way I practiced it was detrimental. I found the idea appealing to dedicate my life to a higher purpose. In truth I was just kind of obsessed to gain power because of my nightmarish childhood. But I was ambivalent. I had this desire to gain power but I wanted to reach it in my own moral way. Honestly my approach was not healthy. It was way too extreme. I currently try to find a milder version of it. I am extremely self-disciplined. Probably due to my abuse. It was a way to punish me. Though this disclipline is sometimes also benefical. When I was a teenager it was way too extreme. It caused severe suicidal thoughts. but my mania contributed to this extreme form.

I like this notion of higher virtues. It seems to give life a meaning. Currently one of my virtues is to educate me. And in some form this can comfort me. It seems to give life some sort of purpose. But it eats you alive. When it becomes too extreme you become unhappy and your are always scared that you are not enough (e.g. educated).

I was always interested in philosophy. I wanted to achieve something in my life. I had these metaphysical goals which potentially could have contributed to a materially very well life. Though due to the fact I became mentally ill on my way I fear I will suffer poverty. I think for a well life often the metaphysical and material components should be fulfilled.

I was prepared to suffer on my way. Though the suffering was too extreme. Mostly because of my mental illness. The usual average suffering is no problem for me. But this extreme insane pain no thanks I think I rather quit. This is the moment when I moved this thread from recovery in off-topic. I cannot really sell this as a good way to live when it backfired so much in my case.

Though in general I think asceticism has the potential to be helpful I am very ascetic concerning drugs. I don't drink alcohol, never took other illegal drugs. Though my guilty pleasure is coffee. I admit that. But my abstinence of drugs helped to stabilize me. My condition would have been probably way worse if drugs would have been a way to cope with my pain. I am also very abstinent concerning food. I don't eat sweets since almost a decade. Many people in family say they could never have the discipline for this life style. I don't know in some way of form this discipline gives you self-esteem. You are proud of you how disciplined you are. when you reach your goals etc. Though maybe I am just too obsessed what others think of me.

I like self-control but maybe I am just too neurotic and I suffer from OCD. There are some pathologies which accompanied my asceticism. I also wanted io strengthen my character with that. I think in some way of form I reached that. Though I wanted to have extreme self-control of my life and neglected necessities like sleep this led to my collapse. But as I said mania was also responsible for that.

I would have liked to elaborated more on the details. But I really should go to sleep ealier. Probably almost noone will care about it anyway.

This is interesting.

Would you say that this outlook is identical or similar to the concept of ego death..?

Reactions: MountainMonkey
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
It's very important to be clear on what your actual goal is. If the goal is authentic truth-seeking and surrender to a higher power, asceticism by itself risks merely running away from things that make you uncomfortable.

On the other hand, some people find asceticism a natural byproduct of spiritual advancement. Because they are free of the ego-mind, their natural background state is one of peace, joy and love and they are free of suffering. (Unfortunately, the nature of this is that you have to experience it for yourself, by following appropriate teachings, to know it.) They tend to comment that there is no use chasing after perishable worldly things.

Other people - and a more common scenario in the Western world - find that life after spiritual awakening continues largely as before, albeit without suffering. This even includes retaining one's work or householder responsibilities. The Buddhists always say, "Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water."

The important point is that true dedication to the higher purpose means that there is no 'me' to make choices. All events unfold spontaneously with little planning, yet somehow results are actually far better than when the mind was trying to run the show. Just as there is no worry, there is no pride or arrogance because all praise goes to the source, which you now see you were always one with.

There are two legitimate pathways to achieving liberation from the mind: total surrender, or self-inquiry which exposes the sense of self as fictional. For almost all people, this requires immense dedication but the latter approach is far more attainable. After awakening, there is absolutely no predicting what will happen, nor does it matter at that point because you have overcome the world. You have 'died before you die'.

• Informative
Reactions: MountainMonkey, freedompass and Venus13
Venus13

Venus13

-
Oct 2, 2022
There are two legitimate pathways to achieving liberation from the mind: total surrender, or self-inquiry which exposes the sense of self as fictional. For almost all people, this requires immense dedication but the latter approach is far more attainable. After awakening, there is absolutely no predicting what will happen, nor does it matter at that point because you have overcome the world. You have 'died before you die'.
Is this suggesting these two pathways are mutually exclusive? When and if you have time could you elaborate on what the path of total surrender would be?

I'm definitely on the self inquiry path mostly, but surrender comes into play at stuck points. I don't know how to explain that better for clarity.

Reactions: Pluto
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Is this suggesting these two pathways are mutually exclusive?
Based on a couple of very famous examples, they are not mutually exclusive, particularly in the final, climactic stages of realisation - often associated with extreme fear, the body shaking and so on.

Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi's awakening happened when he was alone at the age of 16 in the late 19th century. He had a panic attack and was sure he was about to die. But in that moment, he surrendered to death, and also looked inside himself to see who is going to die and who will survive. The insight he then gained was that the true Self cannot die and he is not the body.

Eckhart Tolle had a similar experienced while deeply depressed at the age of 29. He awoke in a state of intense distress, with the thought "I can't live with myself any longer" repeating over and over. Then suddenly he enquired who the I is that he cannot live with, and who the I is that cannot live with it. This triggered a dramatic spiritual awakening, including a brief period of immense fear in the body and the words "resist nothing" being heard inside himself. He surrendered to the process and awoke in a fully liberated state the next morning.

As a practice, the only downside to surrender is that it sounds far easier than it is. It is advised to apply it progressively in relation to specific challenges in your life rather than attempting to surrender your entire sense of self in one go. David Godman explains this in more detail here.

• Love
Reactions: MountainMonkey and Venus13
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
It's very important to be clear on what your actual goal is. If the goal is authentic truth-seeking and surrender to a higher power, asceticism by itself risks merely running away from things that make you uncomfortable.

On the other hand, some people find asceticism a natural byproduct of spiritual advancement. Because they are free of the ego-mind, their natural background state is one of peace, joy and love and they are free of suffering. (Unfortunately, the nature of this is that you have to experience it for yourself, by following appropriate teachings, to know it.) They tend to comment that there is no use chasing after perishable worldly things.

Other people - and a more common scenario in the Western world - find that life after spiritual awakening continues largely as before, albeit without suffering. This even includes retaining one's work or householder responsibilities. The Buddhists always say, "Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water."

The important point is that true dedication to the higher purpose means that there is no 'me' to make choices. All events unfold spontaneously with little planning, yet somehow results are actually far better than when the mind was trying to run the show. Just as there is no worry, there is no pride or arrogance because all praise goes to the source, which you now see you were always one with.

Peace, joy and love have almost nothing to do with me or with the world I observe. We have to be real about reality, Pluto. Perhaps spiritual liberation is about not giving a damn and walking away from what is obviously a place of death, combat and decay, not mundane concepts of happiness and wellbeing. Certainly not 'me keep le chopping wood as if nothing changed', IMO.

I want something flashy like psychic powers/complete emotional immunity or at least not having to do the same shit I've always done. I mean if you're to say that I'm going to do the same shit but experience it in an entirely different way then that's desirable.

Reactions: MountainMonkey and Pluto
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Peace, joy and love have almost nothing to do with me
You have summed it up perfectly, perhaps unintentionally.

It begs the question, what about when this 'me' is not present, such as the blissful serenity of deep sleep? Or the state of wonderment of early childhood, or even pre-birth, prior to learning to identify with your human mind? Or if you have had any temporary ego-death experiences via psychedelics, NDEs, satori, etc.?

In order to progress meaningfully, there needs to be a trust that the millions of people who have gained genuine insights and all report the same thing know what they are talking about. Because your own mind will only tell the same old story, claim to be skeptical of these reports and find ways to maintain the status quo with itself as your own personal tyrannical ruler.

The mind will always claim to be helping you to make your life better, but it is analogous to a snake oil salesman whose only purpose is to waste your time with false solutions. Otherwise, why has it never once succeeded? The mind has also been described as the policeman who never catches the thief, because the policeman secretly is the thief. This internal process has to be seen clearly to conclude that we can trust legitimate teachers more than we can trust our own thoughts.

As for the post-awakening experience, I emphasised that it has to be experienced directly. It is guaranteed to be different to what you expect, or what you might plan for. Any sort of speculation is a waste of energy.

• Love
Reactions: whatevs and MountainMonkey
J

jandek

Down in a Mirror
Feb 19, 2022
It can be. Paring down our wants and needs, ascetic practice can be a powerful form of discipline and means of contemplation. However, sometimes I think my attraction to asceticism stems from my neurotic fear of loss rather than a "higher" perspective, rejecting things, almost masochistically, because potentially losing them hurts too much, and not because of some noble renunciation. A person needs a lot of honesty in this.

Reactions: Élégie, MountainMonkey and Venus13