Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

“Ye shall be as gods..🍎 🐍”
Jun 22, 2021
Is being self centered and seeking only your personal pleasures is the final answers to be as close to happy as you can get?

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk, cyanol, TooConscious and 2 others
Q

Quiet Desperation

Lonely wanderer
Dec 7, 2020
I guess it depends what you personally value in life and what brings you happiness. There is no objective recipe that applies to everyone.

Personally I think social/romantic relationships and being able to both give and receive love in ways not purely selfish has the potential for a lot more happiness than solely focusing on yourself. But that carries the risk of pain too.

Reactions: cyanol, TooConscious and GenesAndEnvironment
Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

“Ye shall be as gods..🍎 🐍”
Jun 22, 2021
I guess it depends what you personally value in life and what brings you happiness. There is no objective recipe that applies to everyone.

Personally I think social/romantic relationships with other people and being able to both give and receive love in ways not purely selfish has the potential for a lot more happiness than solely focusing on yourself. But that carries the risk of pain too.
What caring for the wellbeing of only your close group of people accomplishes for the wellbeing of rest of society other than nepotism? Does it really pan out well when you enclose yourself in a paradise bubble when everywhere around you is a apocalyptic shit-show of poverty, suffering, homelessness, sickness etc. is that what happiness should look like? Just me my significant other and my kids are okay and fuck the rest

Reactions: demuic
lostautist

lostautist

wandering
Jan 12, 2022
It seems with many people who are like this, yes. I'm not one of them.

Reactions: demuic and Snake of Eden
T

Trjan

Jan 22, 2020
Is being self centered and seeking only your personal pleasures is the final answers to be as close to happy as you can get?

I think definitely to an extent - but your family, friends and peers are all part of you and act as your own society. Giving each other help, whether it meets your personal gain or not is as important as being self centered. But equally why you should try and surround yourself of similar minds so that you can all use your own personal gain to improve each other.

Reactions: _Minsk and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
I personally dont think so. Is bit awkward when youre self centered.. as much as i want people to see me i dont really want be in center.. i even think that if like i think bout me so much its like me being selfish idk how to explain but even if i were self centered id say its not id be happy cause id probably turn into a snob or a brat or whatever.. that's just my opinion tho

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I wish I could be more self-centered but no matter how much I try to indulge in consuming things I enjoy I can't stop hating myself for it. At least I'm a little bit happier than if I were wasting my time trying to make any efforts to be better (because in that case I'd still hate myself just as much).

Reactions: _Minsk and Fragile
Kalebri

Kalebri

Slave
Dec 18, 2021
In this age of materialism, yes, that's fine, but not for me.

Hirokami

Hirokami

Out of order
Feb 21, 2021
The thing is, though, I don't have a whole lot of personal pleasures anymore. Being at least somewhat useful as a person makes me feel sort of okay, though, if that counts. Though, I do envy the life of a hedonist sometimes.

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Well, not if you have anhedonia.

Insomniac

Insomniac

𝔄 𝔲 𝔱 𝔦 𝔰 𝔪
May 21, 2021
I'd say nothing can make you truly happy unless you're willing to sacrifice something big/valuable (something of virtual equal value) for it. but then the happiness resulting would lose its spark and meaning anyway.

in other words, happiness = overrated.

Reactions: Snake of Eden
Q

Quiet Desperation

Lonely wanderer
Dec 7, 2020
What caring for the wellbeing of only your close group of people accomplishes for the wellbeing of rest of society other than nepotism? Does it really pan out well when you enclose yourself in a paradise bubble when everywhere around you is a apocalyptic shit-show of poverty, suffering, homelessness, sickness etc. is that what happiness should look like? Just me my significant other and my kids are okay and fuck the rest
You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about something so I'm not gonna continue. Helping other people is great too. Have a good day.

GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
Yeah, because making your own life enjoyable is a realistic goal for most people, and making someone else's life enjoyable is not because you cannot control actions of other people that might lead to decline in their quality of life, and also because the more people you care about the less realistic it is that they are all going to be happy at the same time so you can be happy too. Morality is out of the question here. You don't have to be a good, moral person to be happy. There's no karma or cosmic reward for being a good person and caring about others, the Universe is indifferent, and the others you care about are not necessary capable of being grateful or even interested in you caring about them in the first place.
So I think it's a yes.