I

ilaya

Dec 31, 2023
is anyone planning on doing MAID in canada?

touhoufan

touhoufan

hello! feel free to pm
Feb 14, 2023
it seems like a tedious process, especially for those with mental health issues. i think they'll mostly favour terminally ill patients and such, and offer psychological help for suicidal ones.

Reactions: Chronicoverwhelm and prone2fury
conveniently_dead

conveniently_dead

May 31, 2019
I am. Very worried that I won't be approved despite having documented mental illness.

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I wished I was a Canadian citizen for this very reason! As for qualifying for MAID, even assuming that the expansion to those whose sole underlying condition is mental illness has come into effect on March 17, 2024 (less than two months from now), it will still be a lengthy process and a lot of red tape, hoops to jump through. It will still likely be much waiting, gathering relevant information, getting approval from mental health practitioners, and many more, then more consent and waiting. During the whole process, there are many points of failure where one could just be deemed ineligible on some odd technicality though. In honesty, I would have preferred to live in a country that has MAID (not limited to Canada though) and be given a peaceful, reliable means to exit life, but given I live in the US, I do most likely have to end up taking matters into my own hands and sadly, not through peaceful means.

Reactions: Chronicoverwhelm and pole
hesitation=marks111

hesitation=marks111

♱ 𝔐𝔢𝔪𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔬 𝔐𝔬𝔯𝔦 ♱🥀🌧️🕊️
Dec 12, 2023
For those that have been following this issue for its significance and others who have been possible hopeful candidates of the program which is MAID Medical Assistance In Dying, some unfortunate (but not surprising) news has just broke they are seeking another pause on planned expansion that would cover those suffering from solely mental illness. This is a huge blow to those of us who do not have a terminal medical illness/condition,
and it is a step back for our community.
I've talked about MAID several times here before, and am very disappointed on a personal level, but also disappointed that my country had a chance to be an example of what a compassionate healthcare could be, and we dropped the ball. Link to article CBC

hip hop love GIF by wolfmask

• Love
Reactions: conveniently_dead, EvisceratedJester, lachrymost and 3 others
TuttiFrutti

TuttiFrutti

Goodbye!
Jul 7, 2023
For those that have been following this issue for its significance and others who have been possible hopeful candidates of the program which is MAID Medical Assistance In Dying, some unfortunate (but not surprising) news has just broke they are seeking another pause on planned expansion that would cover those suffering from solely mental illness. This is a huge blow to those of us who do not have a terminal medical illness/condition,
I've talked about MAID several times here before, and am very disappointed on a personal level, but also disappointed that my country had a chance to be an example of what a compassionate healthcare could be, and we dropped the ball. Link to article CBC

The mental health care system never ceases to disappoint me <33

Reactions: conveniently_dead and Chronicoverwhelm
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020

Everything they do is political. It's never because they care about anything aside from themselves.

• Love
Reactions: TuttiFrutti, divinemistress36 and Chronicoverwhelm
glossble

glossble

homesick ⭒
Apr 14, 2023
I am, but I don't have much hope even though I have bpd so I should be approved. Most likely I will have to talk with a number of professionals who will decide whether I have the right to die or not. And I'll have to literally beg them to let me die. It's so humiliating 🤷‍♀️

G

Gonnerr

Enlightened
Mar 12, 2023
I think you have to be in so much pain to get maid ,imo its better to ctb before than agonizing while you do the paperwork which can take times.

Reactions: divinemistress36