Firegirl

Firegirl

Sep 28, 2022
I'm wondering if anyone here with BPD is currently doing DBT therapy and how has that been working out for you? I recently learned that with BPD you're actually able to enter a state of remission and recovery, even though I previously thought it was unmanageable. I am determined to recover and would like to know about anyone else's experiences with DBT

Reactions: Mr. Squiggles, SuzeWantsOut and Suicidebydeath
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
Don't have BPD but I'd be interested to know too.

Reactions: Firegirl
rainbowbright

rainbowbright

Oct 1, 2022
I've heard DBT is really good for BPD, got refused it for myself though as was told i wasn't complex enough 😑

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: ForgottenAgain, Firegirl and Suicidebydeath
Firegirl

Firegirl

Sep 28, 2022
I've heard DBT is really good for BPD, got refused it for myself though as was told i wasn't complex enough 😑
I'm so sorry to hear that! That's crazy that you were refused for it bc you're not 'complex enough' like what does that even mean?!?! 😡

I'm actually doing it through a workbook that my therapist sent to me, if you'd like, i can send you the link for download? That way you can do it yourself too

• Hugs
Reactions: Mr. Squiggles and rainbowbright
rainbowbright

rainbowbright

Oct 1, 2022
I'm so sorry to hear that! That's crazy that you were refused for it bc you're not 'complex enough' like what does that even mean?!?! 😡

I'm actually doing it through a workbook that my therapist sent to me, if you'd like, i can send you the link for download? That way you can do it yourself too
I asked her what she meant and she said because I haven't been hospitalised for the condition, really pathetic excuse really!! Is the workbook green? I think I may have it

S

SuzeWantsOut

Sep 17, 2022
I asked her what she meant and she said because I haven't been hospitalised for the condition, really pathetic excuse really!! Is the workbook green? I think I may have it
Way to go on her part.So if you make suicidal gestures, they'll reward you with admission to a DBT group. Beautiful system.

This is US? UK?

I'm sorry that you were insulted when you tried to help yourself. I hope you'll keep trying.

DBT is basically a hack on eastern thought/philosophy. Like Buddhists, you observe your feelings, things like that. If you live near a Buddhist temple, they sometimes offer classes, and they're very affordable. No run by self impressed social workers, either

SectOfValtiel

SectOfValtiel

Attendant of God
Nov 7, 2022
i guess i just started, but ive been told theres a whole group therapy aspect to it that im definitely not going to be doing
havent really learned anything new in therapy... ive only learned things *outside* of therapy, from youtube videos mostly
and thats kinda frustrating
theres been so much logistical bullshit that i only managed to get one session in before christmas that was actually focused on DBT
i feel like im in an even worse place than i was before i knew i had BPD tbh haha
i looked into those remission rates, too, and from what i read (was only on one study though so maybe its not accurate) the suicidality went into remission for something like 80% of people in that study, but the BPD symptoms- specifically the ones that make being social difficult- did not

and thats all i want
to be able to have healthy relationships, platonic but especially otherwise
before i even put a name to it, my BPD symptoms were why i isolated periodically, its why i stopped trying to make friends, and especially why i dont try to date anymore
even if im incredibly lonely and suffering daily because of it, its better than being abandoned- or unintentionally ruining another persons life again

deathbylife

deathbylife

going to die soon no one cares
Jun 21, 2022
i guess i just started, but ive been told theres a whole group therapy aspect to it that im definitely not going to be doing
havent really learned anything new in therapy... ive only learned things *outside* of therapy, from youtube videos mostly
and thats kinda frustrating
theres been so much logistical bullshit that i only managed to get one session in before christmas that was actually focused on DBT
i feel like im in an even worse place than i was before i knew i had BPD tbh haha
i looked into those remission rates, too, and from what i read (was only on one study though so maybe its not accurate) the suicidality went into remission for something like 80% of people in that study, but the BPD symptoms- specifically the ones that make being social difficult- did not

and thats all i want
to be able to have healthy relationships, platonic but especially otherwise
before i even put a name to it, my BPD symptoms were why i isolated periodically, its why i stopped trying to make friends, and especially why i dont try to date anymore
even if im incredibly lonely and suffering daily because of it, its better than being abandoned- or unintentionally ruining another persons life again
Unfortunately I have had the same experience. Was in DBT on and off for over 10 years. I don't want to spoil it for you but I was traumatized by the other ppl in the groups. Leaders of the group not catching inappropriate behavior during group, etc. Plus I could never focus well enough to remember anything. I tried to go to a new group last month but left after sitting there with tears running down my face for 45 minutes. Sorry, but it's not for me anymore. Kinda ruined for it. Better luck to you 🤗

P. S. I also know things generally get better as you get older

SectOfValtiel

SectOfValtiel

Attendant of God
Nov 7, 2022
Unfortunately I have had the same experience. Was in DBT on and off for over 10 years. I don't want to spoil it for you but I was traumatized by the other ppl in the groups. Leaders of the group not catching inappropriate behavior during group, etc. Plus I could never focus well enough to remember anything. I tried to go to a new group last month but left after sitting there with tears running down my face for 45 minutes. Sorry, but it's not for me anymore. Kinda ruined for it. Better luck to you 🤗

P. S. I also know things generally get better as you get older
sorry you had that experience, part of me doubts mine would be any different if i did end up trying... especially because my therapist knows how much i distrust people and how terrified i am of groups specifically, its weird he keeps suggesting them but doesnt suggest any way to help with those feears
but i guess thats besides the point

i dont think i want to just wait for time to fix things, either
in my experience- things have only gotten *worse* as the years have come and gone
dont have much faith that DBT is going to help but at least its something different from CBT, which I know doesnt work for me
at least its specifically aimed at BPD (which is definitely arguably the biggest obstacle in my mental health) and something i havent gotten to try yet

Reactions: deathbylife
stilhavinightmares

stilhavinightmares

Warlock
Oct 13, 2022
I would absolutely give it a shot if I were you. I have had the BPD diagnosis (and been in remission for periods of time, I believe I still am actually) and I did a lot of DBT including a structured DBT intensive outpatient program. I will vouch for DBT always. Also did a lot of studying on it in college. Go for it!

Reactions: Mr. Squiggles
deathbylife

deathbylife

going to die soon no one cares
Jun 21, 2022
sorry you had that experience, part of me doubts mine would be any different if i did end up trying... especially because my therapist knows how much i distrust people and how terrified i am of groups specifically, its weird he keeps suggesting them but doesnt suggest any way to help with those feears
but i guess thats besides the point

i dont think i want to just wait for time to fix things, either
in my experience- things have only gotten *worse* as the years have come and gone
dont have much faith that DBT is going to help but at least its something different from CBT, which I know doesnt work for me
at least its specifically aimed at BPD (which is definitely arguably the biggest obstacle in my mental health) and something i havent gotten to try yet
It's no different than CBT to me. Both equally ineffective.

But that doesn't surprise me because I've always been broken.

It got better as I got older, but then worse again, because the underlying trauma events were never dealt with in previous therapy, and after 35 years of therapy - I don't care how much it's supposedly changed - I haven't experienced anything different than the usual, which is, if we talk to you and acknowledge you and you don't get better, it's your fault.