Nemeshisu

Nemeshisu

Experienced
Dec 25, 2019
I am not sure if it was asked before, but I am wondering if anyone here is really sensitive to any noises?

I don't know if it is sign of depression or because I am rather introverted but I feel terrible when I hear noises made by others. I am annoyed especially by people talking loudly or laughing, or some sudden sounds like phone calling. But I am sensitive to almost all noises in general. It affects quality of my life greatly. I always have to take my headphones whenever I go outside of my apartment just so I could ignore all the noise. But there are places where I can't avoid noises. It's so bad that if I spend 2 or 3 hours in really noisy place I get urge to CTB impulsively. I only feel comfortable in my apartment where it is so quiet...sometimes I wish I could stay here forever. I am glad that I wont have to endure this torture anymore after I CTB...

Reactions: Source Energy, Fehler, Elysium Searcher and 8 others
mesohappy

mesohappy

Cat piss sammich??
Jan 10, 2020
I am not sure if it was asked before, but I am wondering if anyone here is really sensitive to any noises?

I don't know if it is sign of depression or because I am rather introverted but I feel terrible when I hear noises made by others. I am annoyed especially by people talking loudly or laughing, or some sudden sounds like phone calling. But I am sensitive to almost all noises in general. It affects quality of my life greatly. I always have to take my headphones whenever I go outside of my apartment just so I could ignore all the noise. But there are places where I can't avoid noises. It's so bad that if I spend 2 or 3 hours in really noisy place I get urge to CTB impulsively. I only feel comfortable in my apartment where it is so quiet...sometimes I wish I could stay here forever. I am glad that I wont have to endure this torture anymore after I CTB...
Damn,thats me to a tee.Ive disconnected my phone,because everytime it rings I jump out of my skin.It sucks because Ive got some tweeker neighbors and we live really close to eachother and people are constantly coming and going all hours of the night talking loud and banging on shit,throwing junk around in the yard.Even hearing cars drive down the street bothers me.I used to be into music,and liked it loud.But Ive gotten so bad that I dont even listen to music anymore.I dont want to hear shit.I love my dog,but she drives me nuts to with her damn barking.I dont even like to hear myself talk.

Reactions: Source Energy, Nemeshisu and Pisceslilith
BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
Yes, noise sensitivity is one of the signs of PTSD. I do the same thing. I keep my phone on vibrate, and sometimes even that bothers me. But if I have my phone on ring and it does ring, I jumped 10 feet in the air like a cat. I don't like sudden loud noises, such as when a car suddenly backfires or something. And I hate it when people are yelling or screaming because it reminds me of when my dad used to yell and scream at me when I was a kid. I also hate it when people play loud music, or when they eat loudly or talk loudly. I hate it when people play the TV loud, etc. So, yes, I completely know what you're saying. I feel the exact same way. I do think little things become much more annoying when you're depressed. Small tasks like paying bills become almost insurmountable sometimes. And then if something really big happens to you, it's just like it's the end of the world. People don't understand that. You're dealing with all the stuff on top of being depressed, and being depressed by itself is hard enough to deal with without all the rest of the stuff on top of it. Do you know what I mean?

• Hugs
Reactions: logan, redbutterfly, Nemeshisu and 2 others
mesohappy

mesohappy

Cat piss sammich??
Jan 10, 2020
Yes, noise sensitivity is one of the signs of PTSD. I do the same thing. I keep my phone on vibrate, and sometimes even that bothers me. But if I have my phone on ring and it does ring, I jumped 10 feet in the air like a cat. I don't like sudden loud noises, such as when a car suddenly backfires or something. And I hate it when people are yelling or screaming because it reminds me of when my dad used to yell and scream at me when I was a kid. I also hate it when people play loud music, or when they eat loudly or talk loudly. I hate it when people play the TV loud, etc. So, yes, I completely know what you're saying. I feel the exact same way. I do think little things become much more annoying when you're depressed. Small tasks like paying bills become almost insurmountable sometimes. And then if something really big happens to you, it's just like it's the end of the world. People don't understand that. You're dealing with all the stuff on top of being depressed, and being depressed by itself is hard enough to deal with without all the rest of the stuff on top of it. Do you know what I mean?
Yeah I hear you..Sometimes its like going through life with no skin and all your nerves are exposed or something.I even quit watching TV,canceled the service.I got irritated hearing all the shit coming out of everyones mouths on there.Thats a 100 dollar a month bill out of my life at least.

• Love
Reactions: Black Sky and BlueWidow
Broken Chimera

Broken Chimera

The abyss also gazes into you
May 27, 2019
Yeah I get it. I won't leave the house without my headphones because I really don't want to hear anyone else. Idk when it started but it's been like that for years. It's usually quiet where I'm at but people like to talk like they want the whole neighborhood to hear them when they walk by. So irritating.

Reactions: hʚll and Nemeshisu
BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
Yeah I hear you..Sometimes its like going through life with no skin and all your nerves are exposed or something.I even quit watching TV,canceled the service.I got irritated hearing all the shit coming out of everyones mouths on there.Thats a 100 dollar a month bill out of my life at least.
That's a good analogy, " Going through life with no skin and all your nerves are exposed". That's exactly what it's like. My TV doesn't really bother me, though, I have to admit I play it most of the time with the sound off. What I hate is that the commercials are always five times louder than the TV show. So you can be watching the TV show and it's at a decent volume, and then a commercial comes on and it sounds like they're shouting at you. I'm not sure why they think shouting at me is going to make me want to buy their product. It actually makes me NOT want to buy their product.

Reactions: hʚll, Nemeshisu and mesohappy
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I don't like loud noises (partly due to Aspergers and what not) and I get skittish and jumpy when there are loud noises (ironically my method is a firearm, but a bit more on that later..), especially if it is sudden and sharp. I never liked parties when I was younger because they had balloons (the latex/rubber ones) nor whenever there were people popping paper bags and stuff. Just fyi, I also dislike being outside or around fireworks and firecrackers as well.

Ironically, my method of choice to CTB is a firearm, and the reason for this is due to it's reliability. Now before you wonder "Why? But aren't you afraid of loud noises?!?!", well yes. But! I won't hear it because the moment the bullet leaves the chamber and into my brain/brainstem, I would be knocked out in less than a fraction of a second and won't hear anything, let alone perceive pain (unless for some reason or cause I royally, royally fucked up). I would be well dead before my body/brain registers pain or even sound.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: hʚll, Nemeshisu, mesohappy and 1 other person
mesohappy

mesohappy

Cat piss sammich??
Jan 10, 2020
I don't like loud noises (partly due to Aspergers and what not) and I get skittish and jumpy when there are loud noises (ironically my method is a firearm, but a bit more on that later..), especially if it is sudden and sharp. I never liked parties when I was younger because they had balloons (the latex/rubber ones) nor whenever there were people popping paper bags and stuff. Just fyi, I also dislike being outside or around fireworks and firecrackers as well.

Ironically, my method of choice to CTB is a firearm, and the reason for this is due to it's reliability. Now before you wonder "Why? But aren't you afraid of loud noises?!?!", well yes. But! I won't hear it because the moment the bullet leaves the chamber and into my brain/brainstem, I would be knockedout in less than a fraction of a second and won't hear anything, let alone perceive pain (unless for some reason or cause I royally, royally fucked up). I would be well dead before my body/brain registers pain or even sound.
Firearm will be my method also.I have a 30-30 and a 20 gauge double barrel.The shotgun is long and awkward and the double barrels/twin triggers freak me out a little bit.If and when I do go Ill use the 30-30.Ive already practiced positioning/aiming and dry firing and feel pretty comfortable with it.

W

wendydong1

Experienced
Jul 31, 2019
OMG!!!! it's like you are describing me!!!

I work in an open office, and it's horrible.. the woman working next to me have phone calls at least 4, 5 times a day.. and I hate it so much..

Then there's this girl from the next room, always come to our open office and talk business with some others, but she has a really high pitched screechy voice.. I hate it so much!

I am also on my headphone all day, but doesn't matter.. I still hear them.

• Hugs
Reactions: Nemeshisu, BlueWidow and Dark4England
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
i've seen some people who get literal pain from some noises so i would't call myself noise sensitive, more like i get really grumpy when someone is playing really loud music for extended periods of time or a very noisy car/bike is nearby. i think that i look down on that kind of people for their behavior more than anything. and i live in a country with some loud people.

but i need noise, if there is silence then my tinnitus gets to me and that is the worst sound i can think of.

• Hugs
Reactions: Fehler, Nemeshisu and BlueWidow
M

mouseteeth

Dec 2, 2019
Big ones for me are the sounds of slamming doors, dudes with car stereos with heavy bass, and worst of all, whistling. Hearing people whistling makes my skin crawl and my blood boil.

• Hugs
Reactions: hʚll, Nemeshisu and BlueWidow
BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
Big ones for me are the sounds of slamming doors, dudes with car stereos with heavy bass, and worst of all, whistling. Hearing people whistling makes my skin crawl and my blood boil.
I definitely agree about the heavy bass. What makes my skin crawl is when people run their nails along a chalkboard. That literally makes me cringe like "nails on a chalkboard". Another odd thing that makes me cringe, and I've never really understood why because I can listen to recordings of their music and I actually like their music when I hear someone else singing it, but is the sound of Jim Morrison's voice. There's something about his voice that is just like nails on a chalkboard to me. I don't know what it is. But when I hear other people singing Doors songs, I like the music. I try to listen to their music occasionally, but Jim's voice just sends me over the edge. I have no clue why. Isn't that strange?!

mesohappy

mesohappy

Cat piss sammich??
Jan 10, 2020
I definitely agree about the heavy bass. What makes my skin crawl is when people run their nails along a chalkboard. That literally makes me cringe like "nails on a chalkboard". Another odd thing that makes me cringe, and I've never really understood why because I can listen to recordings of their music and I actually like their music when I hear someone else singing it, but is the sound of Jim Morrison's voice. There's something about his voice that is just like nails on a chalkboard to me. I don't know what it is. But when I hear other people singing Doors songs, I like the music. I try to listen to their music occasionally, but Jim's voice just sends me over the edge. I have no clue why. Isn't that strange?!
Lol..Jim Morrison sounded drunk as fuuck on some of those songs!:blarg: (esp.on "LA Woman)

• Love
Reactions: BlueWidow
BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
Lol..Jim Morrison sounded drunk as fuuck on some of those songs!:blarg: (esp.on "LA Woman)
Actually, it's funny that you mention that because I've tried to listen to it when drunk-that is when I'm drunk not Jim- and his voice doesn't bother me as much then. I just don't know what it is because I really like the songs. But when I try to listen to them sober, I can't stand something in his voice. It's not the music or anyone else in the band. It's something in his voice in particular and I can't even really figure out what it is. I had a friend who was a huge fan of the Doors and he kept insisting that I could find out what the problem was and somehow fix it, but I've never been able to figure out what it is that makes me cringe. It's just some unknown quality in Jim's voice. Who knows what it is? It's some weird quirk that I have. :pfff:

Reactions: Nemeshisu and mesohappy
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Yes, this is why I had a cat instead of a dog lol! The incessant high pitched barking of many dogs just unravels me.

• Hugs
Reactions: hʚll, redbutterfly and Nemeshisu
hʚll

hʚll

not real.
Jun 18, 2021
rn i feel like my ears are bleeding
i wish i was deaf sometimes.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Yes, I am noise sensitive. Noise always frustrates me and I have a hard time tolerating it. The people who I am around often have really loud voices. I just find it tiring too and it stresses me out. There is no peace in this life and I cannot wait to be free from it all.

• Hugs
Reactions: newave3 and hʚll
littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
I'm extremely noise-sensitive, mostly due to my MECFS and PTSD. Any sudden noise startles me and makes me tense up at "best" (which is very painful), and, depending on the noise, can trigger a PTSD episode at worst, which is extremely physically strenuous and painful in addition to the obvious psychological pain it causes, and can lead to permanent worsening. I always have to wear earplugs, and if it's Halloween or New Years, I need to wear noise-cancelling headphones in addition to the earplugs as well because fireworks/yelling are (naturally) loud AND a trigger.

The same goes for light. Bright light = instant crippling exhaustion and nausea. I need to keep my room dark and wear sunglasses if I happen to be anywhere that's bright, otherwise I risk getting a migraine from hell (which is both genetic as well as due to the MECFS), and again, risk permanent worsening.

The world is just so loud and bright and it feels like everyone always wants to talk to me on the rare occasion I absolutely have to go out (can barely speak, either, for the same reasons as with the light issues) and I can't handle it, as much as I wish I could. I'm just completely incompatible with how the world works on a basic level.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: newave3, Callie Arcale, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 1 other person
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
I especially hate the noise of people behind me especially if they're walking close to me. Really winds me up.

Reactions: hʚll
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
I'm extremely noise-sensitive, mostly due to my MECFS and PTSD. Any sudden noise startles me and makes me tense up at "best" (which is very painful), and, depending on the noise, can trigger a PTSD episode at worst, which is extremely physically strenuous and painful in addition to the obvious psychological pain it causes, and can lead to permanent worsening. I always have to wear earplugs, and if it's Halloween or New Years, I need to wear noise-cancelling headphones in addition to the earplugs as well because fireworks/yelling are (naturally) loud AND a trigger.

The same goes for light. Bright light = instant crippling exhaustion and nausea. I need to keep my room dark and wear sunglasses if I happen to be anywhere that's bright, otherwise I risk getting a migraine from hell (which is both genetic as well as due to the MECFS), and again, risk permanent worsening.

The world is just so loud and bright and it feels like everyone always wants to talk to me on the rare occasion I absolutely have to go out (can barely speak, either, for the same reasons as with the light issues) and I can't handle it, as much as I wish I could. I'm just completely incompatible with how the world works on a basic level.

Same here: I am sensitive to light, sound and touch.

I wear Peltor ear muffs during daytime and ear plugs at night. Speaking on the phone causes me to crash… I miss talking to people, listening to music, watching tv with sound on. (Hugs) Will there ever be a cure for us?

• Hugs
Reactions: littlelungs and newave3
littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
Same here: I am sensitive to light, sound and touch.

I wear Peltor ear muffs during daytime and ear plugs at night. Speaking on the phone causes me to crash… I miss talking to people, listening to music, watching tv with sound on. (Hugs) Will there ever be a cure for us?

Ah, yeah, touch is a big one, too. I don't know what it's like for you, but for me, my skin constantly feels like I have a really bad sunburn, just about everything feels like sandpaper on top of it, and my muscles always feel like they're made of highly corrosive acid.

I also can't talk on the phone, otherwise I will definitely crash and risk getting a migraine. Even if it doesn't turn into a migraine, I almost always get this specific "overexertion headache" that feels like my brain is having the living hell beaten out of it... happens almost every time after I talk "too much". I love languages, yet I can barely actually speak any of the ones I know (including my native language), because the brain fog, in combination with the strain of talking, is just too strong.

There is absolutely nothing that this illness can't take away from you. It sure feels like there will never be a cure... I've been waiting for years, but I can't wait forever. Just living day-to-day is agony, and I hate that this is the case for you and me, and for all of the other Millions Missing who have been neglected by the very people/systems that are supposed to be on our side. In my case, I also know that even if there is a cure for this absolute hell of an illness, I'd still be left with the spinal issues, stomach issues, severe trauma, mental problems, etc... and it gets to a point where I'm really left with no choice but to say, "Fuck all of this, I've suffered enough, and if nobody's going to give me the means to a peaceful and dignified death, then I'll do it myself."

I'm just rambling now, because of course I am... but you have my full empathy, and I'm sending you all of the gentle virtual hugs. Feel free to PM me whenever you want and are "able" (I use this word loosely) to do so. ❤️

• Love
Reactions: Callie Arcale
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
. I love languages, yet I can barely actually speak any of the ones I know (including my native language), because the brain fog, in combination with the strain of talking, is just too strong.
Only another cfs-warrior can understand what I'm going to write now: when I am in PEM it literally hurts to even think of words. Speaking is so hard and listening to someone else impossible. My whole system is depleted of all energy, and the pain caused by thoughts or words is physical and crushing.

I have the same problem you do. Even my mother tongue is too difficult, let alone a foreign language.

I find meditation helps to calm down the mind, but even that requires concentration of course, so that's not possible in PEM. Mostly I lie in bed in a state of… half-existence… where I let this immense pain and malaise flow through my veins while at the same time, somehow, I keep on breathing.

I'm just rambling now, because of course I am...

Evert single word you wrote resonates with me and mirrors my own life. I feel your "ramblings" in my heart of hearts.

Thank you for letting me know I can pm you. Please know so can you dear @littlelungs ❤️

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: lostundead and littlelungs
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
Me and my other half are sensitive to different kinds of noises. Life going on around me doesn't bother me what bothers me is the noise of the television or laughter coming from her smartphone that she even takes to the toilet with her. She on the other hand doesn't like the noise birds make. Who doesn't like that?! I'm fine with noise that happens naturally not noise people are trying to make

aviation

aviation

It's time to go home.
Jul 30, 2021
There are sounds that feel violent to me. It's not even volume, though, just something about the 'intensity' of it, in some way. There are days where I have to unplug my phone, because I couldn't handle the sound of it ringing. I'm thankful to not own a mobile phone.