CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

Metal Fan- Wants to hang Under The Oak
May 8, 2023
Now, I'm not great with people in general but I've always been completely lost talking to people who also feel suicidal. I don't really want to affirm their ideas but I also feel disingenuous when I try to be comforting. I don't know, I just kind of shut down whenever it comes up and I'm unsure of what to say. Anyone else have any similar experiences? What do you do in these situations?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: catperson, M.O.N, twatingthroughlife and 6 others
TheSource

TheSource

From the Divine we came, to the Divine we return.
Sep 25, 2023
Same here. It's hard to talk them down, because I get where they're coming from and feel the exact same why. And trying to convince them not to kill themselves is hypocritical, considering I'm catching the bus soon. I don't know what to say besides, "keep going." But the reasons I list for living don't feel genuine. I guess the only real reason is because they'd be sorely missed.

Reactions: catperson and WAITING TO DIE
vampire2002

vampire2002

weeb & neet ♡
Oct 8, 2023
i'm pretty much the same way. i don't say how i really feel about it, because part of me selfishly still wants them to stay with me. even if i didn't, i'd feel incredibly guilty if i didn't encourage them in some way. i sort of revert into a customer-service mindset, in that i'm very kind and don't tell them exactly what i'm thinking. i don't know how to be completely honest on this subject without seeming uncaring, even though i really do care, they probably wouldn't see it that way.

real human being

real human being

full of broken thoughts
Jan 28, 2022
it can be hard to know what to say

ipmanwc0

ipmanwc0

I'll wait for you ❤️
Sep 15, 2023
i thought i was alone in feeling this way lol

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
Now, I'm not great with people in general but I've always been completely lost talking to people who also feel suicidal. I don't really want to affirm their ideas but I also feel disingenuous when I try to be comforting. I don't know, I just kind of shut down whenever it comes up and I'm unsure of what to say. Anyone else have any similar experiences? What do you do in these situations?
I'm not sure. Once you find out how bad psychiatry is and how little society cares. It becomes difficult to provide anything in the way of advice...

starlightsun

starlightsun

May 26, 2023
I understand completely. How do you genuinely encourage another to keep going when you yourself have no will to do so? Maybe it's because we think others might have a chance at a life that we do not, a chance at happiness and a future that we cannot see for our own selves.

Reactions: vampire2002 and WAITING TO DIE
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
I feel like a hypocrite because it doesn't sit well with me when you guys hurt yourself but I am ok with me dying.

More so now than when I was first here. Everyones life should be their decision especially if they suffer a lot, but still... I would rather you live for some reason.

I am not being rational here, nor emphatetic in right ways I know. But I would rather be honest about it.

Reactions: vampire2002 and WAITING TO DIE
Abandoned Character

Abandoned Character

(he./him)
Mar 24, 2023
Death sucks, especially when it happens around us, so it makes sense that we'd want to "prevent" that from happening.

I agree, it's hard to sound supportive while also not feeling responsible for affecting someone's mental state that may be wildly unstable.

I think about, if my close friends, who I know think about suicide, told me they wanted to die, all I can think to say is "If that is what you truly want to do, then I support you. Of course, I don't want you to die and I will fight for you and with you, but it's not about me."

WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
It can be very difficult, and often emotionally draining to talk to a truly suicidal person. Yet I do my best to be as compassionate as possible, and respect a person's wish to ctb without trying to talk them out of it.
A friend on this forum took sn last night. It was incredibly upsetting to see them go.
Part of me wanted to beg them not to ctb, yet I couldn't because I knew how much they were suffering and they needed to find peace.
I don't think you have to be a great talker to talk to a suicidal person.
It's understanding and compassion that really matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: catperson
CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

Metal Fan- Wants to hang Under The Oak
May 8, 2023
It can be very difficult, and often emotionally draining to talk to a truly suicidal person. Yet I do my best to be as compassionate as possible, and respect a person's wish to ctb without trying to talk them out of it.
A friend on this forum took sn last night. It was incredibly upsetting to see them go.
Part of me wanted to beg them not to ctb, yet I couldn't because I knew how much they were suffering and they needed to find peace.
I don't think you have to be a great talker to talk to a suicidal person.
It's understanding and compassion that really matters.
Yeah, it's a really weird spot to be stuck in. We want to respect people's wishes but seeing people die and having that feeling of "maybe I could've done something about it" feels terrible.

• Love
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
Yeah, it's a really weird spot to be stuck in. We want to respect people's wishes but seeing people die and having that feeling of "maybe I could've done something about it" feels terrible.
Yes, it's very harrowing to say the least.