OICU812

OICU812

Aug 31, 2023
I'm just curious if anyone else here is adopted. I am and I turned out to be the black sheep of the family.
I had a great upbringing with a great family, yet I still turned out this way.
I always had moderate depression and suicidal thoughts since my early teens.
I am 0 for 2 on CTB (two failed attempts).

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: FreeWilly, Praestat_Mori, Forever Sleep and 1 other person
situationalsui

situationalsui

Mar 1, 2023
I'm adopted with piles of trauma on top. My upbringing was good as well but life just didn't work out. Wishing you the best.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and deepblack
SSamGarrison

SSamGarrison

Chickens.
Sep 9, 2023
Yes, although it has no bearing on my suicidal thoughts. Actually my family is pretty decent and well off, so I got lucky there

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: FreeWilly and Praestat_Mori
deepblack

deepblack

follow the white rabbit
Apr 9, 2023
"Technically" I wasn't adopted, but grew up as a foster child in a foster family (I'm not sure if this is a regular concept in every country). Besides formalities on paper it's pretty much the same as being adopted.
It was ok from a "materialistic" standpoint, and probably better than growing up in a children's home. Still I didn't like it at all. I was only between one and two years old when I came there, but never connected to them. People with very different thoughts and mindsets than I have. Also pretty much the exact opposite of my natural parents, very different lifestyle and so on.
It definitely had bad impact on me, in particular on emotional/mental/psychological areas. I'm diagnosed with SzPD, for instance.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
situationalsui

situationalsui

Mar 1, 2023
"Technically" I wasn't adopted, but grew up as a foster child in a foster family (I'm not sure if this is a regular concept in every country). Besides formalities on paper it's pretty much the same as being adopted.
It was ok from a "materialistic" standpoint, and probably better than growing up in a children's home. Still I didn't like it at all. I was only between one and two years old when I came there, but never connected to them. People with very different thoughts and mindsets than I have. Also pretty much the exact opposite of my natural parents, very different lifestyle and so on.
It definitely had bad impact on me, in particular on emotional/mental/psychological areas. I'm diagnosed with SzPD, for instance.
I hear you on ended up with folks who are the opposite of my bio parents. It made things hard growing up. The connection wasn't there.

Reactions: deepblack
su1c1dal-dungeon

su1c1dal-dungeon

depressed rat
Sep 15, 2023
i used to wish i was adopted when i was younger. i would tell myself "if i was adopted i would know i was loved because they picked me and wanted me 100%" i think its because i wasnt a planned pregnancy i was just a surprise,, to this day idk if it was a happy surprise or a terrible one.
really random comment but when i saw your post it reminded me of that. i forgot i used to feel that way.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
deepblack

deepblack

follow the white rabbit
Apr 9, 2023
How did you grow up then, in a children's home?

i used to wish i was adopted when i was younger. i would tell myself "if i was adopted i would know i was loved because they picked me and wanted me 100%" ...
Ideally that's the way it should be, but it's not what I experienced. And obviously it has been similar for @situationalsui
In my case I guess it's safe to say the foster father hated me. I hated him for sure. The entire thing was initiated by my foster mother. I can say she cared about me, but it was far far away from a feeling of "love".

i wasnt a planned pregnancy i was just a surprise,, to this day idk if it was a happy surprise or a terrible one.
So you don't know your bio parents?
I wasn't planned at all, too. My natural parents were drug addicts at the time, and I just "happened" lol.

D

DeadHead

Belief is the enemy of knowledge
Aug 20, 2023
I was, best thing that ever happened to me. I had wonderful parents who died young. I met the woman who gave birth to me, she was a loser and a whore who eventually killed herself.