A

aquasaltstripes

Jul 2, 2023
A few months back I bought a necktie from Target from the store-brand "Goodfellow and Co." It's made of recycled polyester. Apparently polyester is pretty strong, albeit not stronger than nylon, so I was wondering if I could use this for a partial hanging or if I should invest in something else. I've read on the suicide resource hanging guide about neckties, but I've yet to find any autopsy photos with them or hear any stories about it.

Reactions: Kerrtu
CW36

CW36

➕〰️➰
Jul 23, 2023
I'd always advise investing in strong rope, but in theory, yes, it can work. How much do you weigh? If you're light, naturally your chances increase.

Reactions: Amyend88 and aquasaltstripes
Kerrtu

Kerrtu

Komeetta ♊︎
May 8, 2023
The designer Kate Spade used a silk scarf for partial from a doorknob. Designer L'Wren Scott also used a silk scarf from a doorknob and she was over 6' tall.

I happened to be in the city the day Scott died - it was St. Patrick's day, I was working on a project with my ex. Surreal hearing it on the radio.

Anyhow, if you're looking for comparison cases, try searching 'Forensic hanging photos' or 'short partial hanging suicide' in image search.

Warning: There are cases of children who were hanged.

• Informative
Reactions: fwompie, Grayfield and aquasaltstripes
A

aquasaltstripes

Jul 2, 2023
I'd always advise investing in strong rope, but in theory, yes, it can work. How much do you weigh? If you're light, naturally your chances increase.
I weigh like 120 lbs. I'll look into some nylon ropes though, though buying something like that and not being a rock climber or whatever can be kinda concerning for my family members and I'll have to be smart about it :P

CW36

CW36

➕〰️➰
Jul 23, 2023
Okay. There's plenty on Amazon for 20 ish quid. They're packaged discreetly, I can vouch for that. Just tell em Everest calls.

A

aquasaltstripes

Jul 2, 2023
Okay. There's plenty on Amazon for 20 ish quid. They're packaged discreetly, I can vouch for that. Just tell em Everest calls.
Any personal recommendations?

Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Get a rope.

Reactions: aticeret and aquasaltstripes
befree

befree

Time to do more enjoyable things _____Goodbye_____
Mar 22, 2022
Better buy a tourniquet (amazon US$12,- brand name: TIME)

befree

befree

Time to do more enjoyable things _____Goodbye_____
Mar 22, 2022
Is tourniquet work ?
It´s a successfully used method. I think it´s better than a polyester tecktie. Or find a different, stronger material for partial hanging. But of course it also depends on how thick the material is.

A

aquasaltstripes

Jul 2, 2023
It´s a successfully used method. I think it´s better than a polyester tecktie. Or find a different, stronger material for partial hanging. But of course it also depends on how thick the material is.
Would you say a tourniquet is better than a nylon rope?

front of me

front of me

Experienced
Aug 3, 2023
But I never heard anywhere about its success

Kerrtu

Kerrtu

Komeetta ♊︎
May 8, 2023
But I never heard anywhere about its success

I haven't heard of the tourniquet method successfully used to CTB, but then again, I've not looked into or attempted to research cases. I'm sure if I look, I will find.

I did hear of the tourniquet method being used by John Wayne Gacy (serial killer, US) in the documentary "Devil in Disguise". Gacy describes it so casually as he's being interviewed by Robert Ressler. Ressler's reaction can be heard in the background - he was probably trying to maintain composure.

The character Jack Crawford from the Silence of the Lambs is primarily based on/inspired by Robert Ressler.

• Informative
Reactions: fwompie
CW36

CW36

➕〰️➰
Jul 23, 2023
Any personal recommendations?
Rock climbing ropes (the ones with carabenas) on AZ. They're all made by the same people. They hide under different names and addresses, but they're almost identical. Diameters between 8-12mm. I'd go down the middle (10) and obviously you don't need more than the minimum 10 metres. I've cut mine into two ropes. And because theses ropes are not actually rock worthy (they don't spring), they're perfect for FSH.

Last edited:
A

aquasaltstripes

Jul 2, 2023
Rock climbing ropes (the ones with carabenas) on AZ. They're all made by the same people. They hide under different names and addresses, but they're almost identical. Diameters between 8-12mm. I'd go down the middle (10) and obviously you don't need more than the minimum 10 metres. I've cut mine into two ropes. And because theses ropes are not actually rock worthy (they don't spring), they're perfect for FSH.
Plan on buying this one. Thoughts? Amazon product ASIN B0924PK159
How hard is it to cut it by the way? Can you just use scissors or a knife?