Wyldfyre4948

Wyldfyre4948

Waiting for my bus
Jul 12, 2023
We live in a crazy world where you can buy guns and ammo without anyone saying something. Yet they prosecute people for selling stuff that others use to end their lives. How crazy is it that you can buy an assault rifle with plans to be the next mass shooter, but we get wellness checks for buying SN?

One person wants to kill themself because life is miserable and they just want out. So they search for a method and find something that will end their life and it won't affect anyone else. This is seen as a problem and can result in forced hospitalization.

Another person believes the second amendment means they need to have enough guns to arm the entire town they live in. They stockpile every type of gun they can, and buy enough ammo so they never have to worry about running out. Nothing happens to that person. They are a model citizen who is exercising their rights. In fact in some places they can even walk around armed to the teeth, and it's completely legal.

One of these people is more likely to cause harm to others if they have a bad day. Society doesn't see it as the gun owner though. In their eyes it's the person who suffers from depression and suicidal ideation. Last time I spoke with a therapist they asked me if I had anything to kill myself with. I told them that if I wanted it bad enough anything can be used. Needless to say my response didn't make her happy, but it was true.

Planned suicide is actually more rational than anyone gives credit. More care and planning go into it than most shootings. Yet we're the crazy ones. The person who thinks they're sane are actually crazier than those they believe are insane.

• Hugs
Reactions: rationaltake and Forever Sleep
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I think I can guess which country you are in! šŸ¦… The situation boils down to politics and power. There is very little in the way of a 'euthanasia lobby', whereas the NRA probably holds more power than a lot of small nations. So the end result will be skewed in all sorts of perverse ways. There is no rule that says that commonsense will prevail, only that 'might is right' in the world of human affairs.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I'm from the UK, so I've never really understood the obsession with guns. I just think it's something you either do or don't grow up with. I understand it's that desire primarily to defend yourself. That makes sense but the cost to it seems enormous to me. It seems common sense to me that countries which are more open with gun laws have more shootings- incuding school shootings.

Is it really worth it to feel that little bit safer with God knows what loaded around the house when you're sending off your child to school when you know any of the class bullies/ outcasts might be carrying? I don't know- I just don't get it. But- that's because most people probably don't feel it an infringement of our rights that firearms are tightly restricted in the UK.

I agree though- it is a weird situation when curing salt is seen as a bigger threat than an automatic rifle!