AnnihilatedAnna

AnnihilatedAnna

A Joke
Apr 17, 2018
almost everybody is afraid of being involuntarily admitted to one, i know that that has to happen in the US because of malpractice and stuff, which granted is kind of fair. But what if those laws were to change? What would happend if we could talk to therapist etc. about suicide freely?

Is it in more countries like that?

Reactions: Jodes, Kikoo Loool, Redt2go and 3 others
M

MistakesHappen

Escapologist
Aug 29, 2018
Where i live no, you are not free to talk about suicide or other stuff.
I almost risked a hospitalization few weeks ago, but not because of suicide.
I have hope that one day people will be free to choose for their own life, i hope that future generations won't need this website, at least in the way we need it now.

• Love
Reactions: martha, Jodes, lost_soul83 and 10 others
CornerE

CornerE

Needs a savior
Mar 12, 2019
yes, from those tons of stories posted in this forum , I'm now pretty sure it's a universal official procedure .
plus the horrible humiliation we all faced in wards everywhere around that fucking globe .
It is WAY worse than prisons , and that goes for non suicidal residents too .

The whole staff would humiliate , control undermine and violate your rights all they want and no one even blames them - not even the so called human rights org.
I tried to get their help in the ward when they were pretending to check out on us but they didn't even care.
they're just showing out , they're too fake to function .

P.S : I'm neither from the US nor any progressive country .. but still faced the same abuse .

Reactions: Jodes, WOODESITY, TAW122 and 3 others
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
I said to my GP last year that I wanted to end it, he replied "then why haven't you?"
"I'm a coward" I replied

There was no indication whatsoever of me being admitted to a psych unit, it seems to be more common in countries with private health care.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, WOODESITY, Your Own Ghost and 4 others

Dying cat
Nov 24, 2018
I punched a doctor there

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: lost_soul83, TAW122, Final Escape and 2 others
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I said to my GP last year that I wanted to end it, he replied "then why haven't you?"
"I'm a coward" I replied

There was no indication whatsoever of me being admitted to a psych unit, it seems to be more common in countries with private health care.
Dang lol!

• Yay!
Reactions: Johnnythefox and AnnihilatedAnna
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
@AnnihilatedAnna To answer your question, I'd imagine more people would be 'honest' with their counselor, therapist, psychiatrist if they are able to talk about the topic of suicide without the threat of involuntary hospitalization or treatment. In fact, I think it may save more lives than the current system now, which is counterproductive and never in the suicidal's interest to ever be honest/open about suicide ideation or plans.

@CornerE That really sucks that this kind of abusive treatment is deemed 'standard procedure'. There needs to be an serious overhaul of how they treat suicidal people. They need to treat them like human beings with dignity and not some animal or criminal.

@311 Wow, that is quite the bravery, and while I don't condone violence, I sorted see how you'd lose your cool, especially if you have been treated poorly. Anyways, I hope you didn't get serious legal consequences out of it.

• Love
Reactions: NumbItAll, Pentobartbital and AnnihilatedAnna
Jodes

Jodes

Enlightened
Nov 23, 2018
almost everybody is afraid of being involuntarily admitted to one, i know that that has to happen in the US because of malpractice and stuff, which granted is kind of fair. But what if those laws were to change? What would happend if we could talk to therapist etc. about suicide freely?

Is it in more countries like that?
My psych is extremely open. I talk about it 99% freely - he said as long as he knows I'm with people and am not intending to die ASAP then he thinks my CTB preparations actually make me feel more secure. He's a fucking good psych, very very intelligent, I guess I'm lucky - I wish someone more deserving had him instead of me. This is in the UK. The disadvantage is I'm nearly out of money - he's private and expensive. He seems absolutely genuine. Always caring, and recently charmingly said he had a gray hair with my name on it. But I haven't had a free consultation yet! If I need 10 to get one free, I'll be broke.

But once you're in the NHS system, it's fucking horrific. The only good thing is they're so short of money they don't even hospitalise suicidal 13 year olds or give therapy to survivors of terrorism

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: TAW122, AnnihilatedAnna and Pentobartbital
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
@Jodes I'm glad you are able to find someone who is open and understanding and doesn't just freak out over the topic of suicide, but instead respectfully engages in a rational, logical conversation about the topic. These people are rare and kudos to you for finding someone like him.

Reactions: AnnihilatedAnna and Jodes
Jodes

Jodes

Enlightened
Nov 23, 2018
@Jodes I'm glad you are able to find someone who is open and understanding and doesn't just freak out over the topic of suicide, but instead respectfully engages in a rational, logical conversation about the topic. These people are rare and kudos to you for finding someone like him.
Anyone can do it. You just need to forgo even the modern basics to see him once every 2 months

Reactions: AnnihilatedAnna
hans0solo

hans0solo

Dec 10, 2021
as many people note, the public system in most countries sucks. and private-pay is better. but that is classist. the issue is that western psychiatry was taken to other nations and they follow our model. Although I hear the UK as 'open wards' (not locked)?