T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I found this really interesting article which I will link at the bottom of this post.

The study is really interesting and details facts and statistics regarding men's mental health which I figured may resonate with people here. The study is from UCLA and shows that around 60% of the men who commit suicide have no record or prior history of mental health issues, which challenges the traditional perception of suicide. Men without mental health issues were more likely to use a firearm and also typically had alcohol in their system. The article goes on to state that men make up 80% of suicide deaths in the U.S. The study was led by Professor Mark Kaplan, and the research analyzed data from over 70,000 U.S. male suicide cases from 2016 to 2018

In three of the four age groups studied, which was adolescents (10-17 years old), young adults (18-34), middle-aged adults (35-64), and older adults (65+), there was an interesting find. Amongst adolescents, young adults, and middle-aged adults, more commonly experienced relationship problems, arguments or another type of personal crisis which are believed to have led to it. I believe this also suggests an impulsivity, but that's just my opinion. Then again, the study also agrees and said, "...particularly for teens and young adults, who may be more prone to act impulsively."

Anyways, I don't want to summarize the whole article and if you're interested, I feel that summarizing would take away from reading it. It's pretty brief, so should be a quick read. The article is linked here (click to read)

• Informative
Reactions: Reflection, ijustwishtodie, Moniker and 7 others
H

hopelesswanderer

Oct 12, 2023
Hmm. Could be that men (I'm guessing) and people in general don't always have documented diagnoses and thus would have no "history" Of mental illness due to stigma of seeking help. My guess is many are financial related - debt gambling losing a job economic crisis etc. ppl were jumping in front of trains in 08. But I could also see your point about impulsivity being a big driver for anyone but especially the young and especially when coupled w alcohol

Reactions: 3/4Dead, divinemistress36, dela and 3 others
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Couldn't that be explained by men potentially being less likely to seek out mental resources, thus leading to there being issues of underdiagnosis of mental conditions in men? I might try reading the study sometime later, after my midterm.

Anyway, the main reason I wanted to post here is because I wanted to share this ad I saw while skimming through the article.
Screenshot 20241002 182307 Samsung Internet
Look at how glorious it is! I regret not clicking on it. This event is my 13th reason why.

• Yay!
Reactions: 3/4Dead, Forever Sleep, divinemistress36 and 1 other person
astr4

astr4

memento mori
Mar 27, 2019
a family friend killed himself not for any mental health reasons but purely financial ones. i was a kid when it happened and it changed my views on the world for the worse. i suspect money would solve the suicidal thoughts of a significant portion of us.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep, divinemistress36, HereTomorrow and 2 others
PurPurAstie

PurPurAstie

Mar 29, 2023
i've noticed that a lot, it's just the way the society is built, men generally don't speak about any of their problems due to it being seen as something shameful(and people do shame them!), they mindlessly do what they're told or need to. women are more on a complaining and chatty side however, not doing much. it's just the way people have shaped the world, sadly.
another study also confirms this, that females generally choose CTB methods that are less likely to kill them, i've noticed that in me too. idk what's up with that.

• Informative
Reactions: ForgottenAgain
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Hmm. Could be that men (I'm guessing) and people in general don't always have documented diagnoses and thus would have no "history" Of mental illness due to stigma of seeking help. My guess is many are financial related - debt gambling losing a job economic crisis etc. ppl were jumping in front of trains in 08. But I could also see your point about impulsivity being a big driver for anyone but especially the young and especially when coupled w alcohol
I realize I didn't communicate this in my post, but I largely agree with this take. I think it's because of the stigma regarding men and receiving mental health.

Couldn't that be explained by men potentially being less likely to seek out mental resources, thus leading to there being issues of underdiagnosis of mental conditions in men? I might try reading the study sometime later, after my midterm.

Anyway, the main reason I wanted to post here is because I wanted to share this ad I saw while skimming through the article.
View attachment 151631
Look at how glorious it is! I regret not clicking on it. This event is my 13th reason why.
What a beautiful sight to be blessed with, old men working out is exactly what I want to see

i've noticed that a lot, it's just the way the society is built, men generally don't speak about any of their problems due to it being seen as something shameful(and people do shame them!), they mindlessly do what they're told or need to. women are more on a complaining and chatty side however, not doing much. it's just the way people have shaped the world, sadly.
another study also confirms this, that females generally choose CTB methods that are less likely to kill them, i've noticed that in me too. idk what's up with that.
Yeah, it's present in my region where men don't receive treatment generally (very rural area). I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if I'm one of the first in my family. I didn't know about the other study where women choose methods that are less lethal. I'm not certain why that might be though.

• Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: divinemistress36, hopelesswanderer and EvisceratedJester
H

HopeToStay

May 31, 2024
There's a theory that men have a more "winner takes all" deal in life.

That successful men are the most privileged in society, but "loser" men are at the bottom rung and are largely undesired by anyone. And this is the area that are susceptible to suicide, not because of mental health disorders per se, but an objective evaluation that their life sucks.

All just a theory and generalisation of course. I wouldn't ever wish to suggest that either gender isn't capable of experiencing a terrible quality of life, from mental health disorders or otherwise.

Reactions: divinemistress36
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022

Yes, I've read that kind of thing too. That women (generally) have better peer support systems. Men feel less willing to admit they are struggling maybe.

I've also read that women tend to opt for less violent/brutal methods- which are sometimes less effective- eg. pill overdoses. Not so sure these are just gestures or 'cries for help', although in some cases, they may be. They may just be badly researched, impulsive or, based on assumptions they will work. The films and TV make it look so simple! I've also read that some women are more concerned about their physical looks- even as a corpse! They maybe won't choose a method that is so brutal/ messy.

I wonder how the male to female suicide ratio compares in countries that don't have firearms so readily accessible. I think in the majority of countries, it's still more men that suicide but interestingly, I think I've read that women attempt more. With things like SN and inert gas, I wonder if the gender gap will start to close.

That doesn't surprise me though- that men and women with no history of mental health issues suicide. To be honest, I'm so sick of suicide being automatically attributed to mental illness. Not to say it never is but- I just feel it's such a cop out. It puts most of the onnus on the individual. It ignores why they may be struggling. Even if they want to blame depression- Why were they depressed? It basically says: (to my mind) There's nothing wrong with society/ this world. If you can't hack it then- it's your brain that's deficient.

That isn't helpful for anyone. It means the reasons people are that unhappy/ dissatisfied aren't highlighted and aren't addressed. Plus- it doesn't do the 'normies' any favours either. It's probably easier for them to distance themselves from it if they can blame a brain abnormality and not a very common situation- financial problems, relationship breakups, bereavement, dissatisfaction with life in a capitalist/ consumerist society.

• Hugs
Reactions: Reflection, Flirtingwithdemons, Moniker and 1 other person
N

NikolaiK

Sep 25, 2024
I think men have more of a need for independence and self reliance. A debilitating illness or financial situation that takes way our ability to look after ourselves and makes us dependent on others goes agianst our nature, we feel bad to be a burden on others. Women have a much easier time being looked after by others, they probably thrive on it. Men are the opposite, it's just the way it is, not trying to psycho-analyse or deconstruct masculinity.

Reactions: hopelesswanderer
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
There's a theory that men have a more "winner takes all" deal in life.

That successful men are the most privileged in society, but "loser" men are at the bottom rung and are largely undesired by anyone. And this is the area that are susceptible to suicide, not because of mental health disorders per se, but an objective evaluation that their life sucks.

All just a theory and generalisation of course. I wouldn't ever wish to suggest that either gender isn't capable of experiencing a terrible quality of life, from mental health disorders or otherwise.
It's this.

Plus lack of societal help and lack of empathy. Life isn't forgiving but far less so if you are a man. The world doesn't give a fuck about men end of story. No wonder they kill themselves. I was in medical school last in 2022. I didn't fail out I didn't screw up, nope. Victim of crimes by the medical school. Family abandoned me, can't get a job (700+ job apps let alone a good paying job), insane debt because I had no family support and had to take on loans, no one gives a shit about me.

I'm basically homeless. You think people care about me? Lol. No. I have no friends. You think women look at me like I'm a catch. No because of the size of my... Bank account.

I was president of the oncology research group. I was on track to be objectively successful and frankly to even get there I had to be to at least some degree. Someone came alone and took it from me. No empathy, no one cares, no one in my corner, just nothing. My families reason for not helping "because", "what's in it for me", and "don't want to". Not I wish I could or i can't make it work financially.

My life who I am as person is inconsequential to the world. My hopes, dreams, aspirations, and the work I put in. Gone because of people's greed. The days of my life and my happiness gone. You think people care nope. You bet your ass if i was a woman I'd have people all over the fucking place coming to support me. If someone found a former medical student who was the victim of crimes, wasn't using drugs just broke and had no support. I can't imagine the insane amount of support she'd have. Just because she has a vagina. The support I get is 0. Literally *0*.

I'm surprised more men don't kill themselves honestly. If you aren't perfect and news flash no one is you are nothing.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: hopelesswanderer