• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

eatantz

eatantz

I luv dolls
Nov 4, 2023
I love psychological dramas/horrors so I'm making this thread for people to share some cool films. Can be any genre as long as its unique in its own way!

My recommendations are 'Under the Skin' and 'We need to talk about Kevin'
Under the skin OIP

There both really interesting films, 'Under the Skin' is more abstract and it took me another watch to get it. Kevin is more obvious but the ending can be disappointing

Reactions: Beyond_Repair, lemonbunny, Saturn_ and 3 others
K

Kavka

Jun 11, 2024
I probably forget a lot of titles here, but here are a few that come to mind. I probably forget a lot of titles here, but here are a few that come to mind. They're not all necessarily brilliant films, but they're all weird in their own way. Ranked from psychological drama to more psychological horror:

A Ghost Story
In this singular exploration of legacy, love, loss, and the enormity of existence, a recently deceased, white-sheeted ghost returns to his suburban home to try to reconnect with his bereft wife.

Melancholia
Two sisters find their already strained relationship challenged as a mysterious new planet threatens to collide with Earth.

The Zone of Interest
Auschwitz commandant Rudolf Höss and his wife Hedwig strive to build a dream life for their family in a house and garden beside the camp.

Swallow
Hunter, a newly pregnant housewife, finds herself increasingly compelled to consume dangerous objects. As her husband and his family tighten their control over her life, she must confront the dark secret behind her new obsession.

Get Out
A young African-American visits his white girlfriend's parents for the weekend, where his simmering uneasiness about their reception of him eventually reaches a boiling point.

Good Boy
Christian - a millionaire heir, meets Sigrid - a young student, on a dating app. They hit it off quickly, but there's only one problem: Christian lives with Frank, a man who dresses up and constantly acts like a dog.

• Love
Reactions: Angst Filled Fuck Up, eatantz and rozeske
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Never watched it before, but I heard that Baby of Mâcon is pretty dark (though it probably isn't the best film to watch if you have any sexual related trauma).

The Nightingale is also really good (Also, while handled well, the rape scenes are slightly explicit, so take that into consideration if you plan on watching it).

I also like Oldboy (2003), Perfect Blue, Jacobs Ladder, and Late Night With the Devil. I don't think any of these films are that dark or weird, but I also don't watch movies too often so I don't have that many dark/weird movie recommendations...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: eatantz
lamargue

lamargue

algernon
Jun 5, 2024
breaking the waves, gummo, the celebration, love exposure, happiness, dogtooth just to name a few

yellowjester

yellowjester

I'm only sleeping
Jun 2, 2024
Melancholia
Two sisters find their already strained relationship challenged as a mysterious new planet threatens to collide with Earth.
I love this film, one of my favorites. Justine is always there for me when I need her the most :)

The house that jack built is great too (same director). Dark, sinister, soul-crushing,... a twisted masterpiece.

enduringwinter

enduringwinter

flower, water
Jun 20, 2024
Thanks for the recs OP. I'm quite fond of Scarlett Johansson so might check out Under the Skin.

Melancholia

Get Out
I like these movies too. Also been meaning to watch A Ghost Story.
I also like Oldboy (2003)
I also like Oldboy, do you like the other two movies in the vengeance trilogy or Park Chan-wook's other works?

As for me, I don't consider any movie weird or dark. I just either vibe with it or I don't, and when I understand what it's portraying I find it unfair to call it weird, it's normal to me. A majority of today's mainstream directors lean into chaos (just look at recent Oscars and the popularity of A24) but that's just normal.

I think many of my favourite directors (Edward Yang, Stanley Kwan, Tran Anh Hung etc) just make quiet, introspective daily life films tho some of their works are a bit unconventional. Out of my faves, Terayama Shuji might have a filmography people consider most "unique", that said, I personally would just say his works are relatable and introspective, just in a surreal way. Oshima Nagisa (my ultimate fave, I love him so much) is also up there in terms of being unconventional, to me, he is the most unique auteur.

Pastoral: To die in the country by Terayama Shuji

Death by Hanging by Oshima Nagisa

Last edited:
Reactions: eatantz and lamargue
enduringwinter

enduringwinter

flower, water
Jun 20, 2024
oshima is great. i especially like in the realm of the senses
I adore Realm. It is my comfort movie that I like to watch when I'm so downtrodden I never want eat or sleep again. The last 25 minutes or so vacuum all the filthy homeostasis out of me (kinda common trait of all Oshima movies)

Reactions: eatantz and lamargue
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
The Machinist (2004) and Antichrist (2009).

Reactions: eatantz, _AllCatsAreGrey_ and yellowjester
Saturn_

Saturn_

I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.
Apr 22, 2024
Perfect Blue. One of my favorite movies. A dark, visceral mindfuck through and through. Great rewatchability; you'll probably have to watch everything at least twice to fully understand it but it's absolutely worth it. It's extremely violent and gory in parts though, if you're the kind to shy away from those sorts of movies.

Reactions: eatantz, Beyond_Repair and litttlebimple
L

litttlebimple

Jul 10, 2024
I'd recommend First Reformed. It's a little slow, but I ended up really resonating with the depictions of depression/hopelessness + doubt.

Beyond_Repair

Beyond_Repair

Disheartened Ghost
Oct 27, 2023
I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020)

Dogtooth (2009)

Ritual (2000)

Audition (1999)

Perfect Blue. One of my favorite movies. A dark, visceral mindfuck through and through. Great rewatchability; you'll probably have to watch everything at least twice to fully understand it but it's absolutely worth it. It's extremely violent and gory in parts though, if you're the kind to shy away from those sorts of movies.
I just watched this for the first time yesterday. So good. Definitely recommend watching it twice

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: eatantz and Saturn_