moondazed

moondazed

ex nihilo nihil fit
Oct 14, 2023
Anybody else deal with it? What's your experience like? Any strategies that work for you?

I guess I've always had insomnia, but wasn't aware until I was officially diagnosed a couple years ago. It's more episodic for me, and gets bad in the fall/winter.

Sometimes I'm left staring at the ceiling until the sun comes up, then I briefly join the birds in their morning screaming before getting up to go to work.

• Hugs
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
I got used to it over the years but my case is meds induced. And it is more severe than what you would get naturally.

Like my sleep was not rejuvenating or there at all, and I was waking up more than I slept. Often I forced myself to lay down just to rest at least with my eyes closed. It was really scary at first.

It got a little better over a few years but nowhere near how I was before. It is evident by my dry eyes still that lost the glow since then. But I am grateful my brain works and gets enough sleep to function I guess. I thought I would become like some people with more severe cases (meds induced ones). Can't imagine what they are going through.

I am sorry for typing all this without anything useful to share. I am just glad I am off meds and my condition improved a little. Before I had to literally force myself to go to sleep without being sleepy ever and now I can drift off listening to podcasts which is surprising to me.

Only thing I could maybe suggest is don't take naps if you have sleep issues. If you work, try to get to bed at the same time and relax yourself with music or something that could help you calm down. If it works it works, if not at least your body is resting and you will get micro sleeps when you need them dw, your brain will function.

I advise against any kind of meds, except melatonin maybe but I don't take anything anymore so...

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE and moondazed
moondazed

moondazed

ex nihilo nihil fit
Oct 14, 2023
I advise against any kind of meds, except melatonin maybe but I don't take anything anymore so...
well, I always had these episodes when I was a child. Long, long before I was medicated. I know for a fact my case isn't med induced, but the meds have definitely given me a chemical dependency. Quid pro quo I guess.

I'm sorry you went through all that though, and I'm glad you were able to get better once you were off. Meds can be powerful in both the positives and negatives depending on ur brain chemistry

• Hugs
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE and R_N
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
well, I always had these episodes when I was a child. Long, long before I was medicated. I know for a fact my case isn't med induced, but the meds have definitely given me a chemical dependency. Quid pro quo I guess.

I'm sorry you went through all that though, and I'm glad you were able to get better once you were off. Meds can be powerful in both the positives and negatives depending on ur brain chemistry
My issues with meds (more severe ones) appeared when I stopped them actually.

I had side effects during med phases which were not pleasant as well but the worst hit me when my body got used to meds and I stopped them.

So like I said in other thread, people should slowly get off them if they have to.

I read that you take mirtazapine, I was on them as well for half a year and during that time I didn't experience issues but my psychiatrist switched me on something else and I stopped cold turkey. I got some vision issues almost the same day I stopped that I still have but got used to it. Nothing too bad tho so you you will be fine most likely.

Antipsychotics are the worst ones you should stay away from.

I don't like any of them tho, I always got something from meds that I have to live with now and no benefits except placebo.

Last edited:
moondazed

moondazed

ex nihilo nihil fit
Oct 14, 2023
My issues with meds (more severe ones) appeared when I stopped them actually.

I had side effects during med phases which were not pleasant as well but the worst hit me when my body got used to meds and I stopped them.

So like I said in other thread, people should slowly get off them if they have to.

I read that you take mirtazapine, I was on them as well for half a year and during that time I didn't experience issues but my psychiatrist switched me on something else and I stopped cold turkey. I got some vision issues almost the same day I stopped that I still have but got used to it. Nothing too bad tho so you you will be fine most likely.

Antipsychotics are the worst ones you should stay away from.

I don't like any of them tho, I always got something from meds that I have to live with now and no benefits except placebo.
Yeah, I lived a long time not being on meds. Often unhappy but not always. I was a chaotic little fucker back then too, very immature. So I'm scared of going back to that. :/

thankfully no antipsychotics, I've had some friend have their lives ruined after trying those.

The vision thing is interesting. My vision has gotten quite a bit worse since starting them. I actually have considered weening off, now that I've built myself a somewhat sturdy foundation for myself. I've brought it up with my psych and she's supportive of it actually but I'm the one who hasn't made the decision. Maybe after the winter

R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
Yeah, I lived a long time not being on meds. Often unhappy but not always. I was a chaotic little fucker back then too, very immature. So I'm scared of going back to that. :/

thankfully no antipsychotics, I've had some friend have their lives ruined after trying those.

The vision thing is interesting. My vision has gotten quite a bit worse since starting them. I actually have considered weening off, now that I've built myself a somewhat sturdy foundation for myself. I've brought it up with my psych and she's supportive of it actually but I'm the one who hasn't made the decision. Maybe after the winter
I understand and I wish you luck whatever you decide.

I don't remember mirtazapine having negative impact on my sleep when I stopped. So there is that. Your sleep might not get worse at least. Still I suggest against stoping any med cold turkey.

WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
Mine is sporadic: it all depends on the severity of my depression and bipolar.
Yet when I do descend into a bout of insomnia, it just renders me unable to function.
Some people can get by with very little sleep.
I am definitely not one of them.

• Hugs
Reactions: R_N
K

KiraX

Oct 20, 2023
I have insomnia but in the way of I'm too upset to sleep so I get all worked up crying and clenching my jaw all night or until I pass out

-looks at the clock and it's 2:34 am-
Yup.... recently I have been up till 4 am every night and then I wake up at 7 unable to fall back asleep lmaooooooo living on that 4 hour sleep daily life