Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Of course, memories with a lot of salience such as those of traumas or major milestones are a given for being especially vivid. You ever have some memories though that linger and are especially detailed for no good reason?

One that keeps popping up my mind is an afternoon at home when I was about 12 years old. I played this Xbox racing game and was quite terrible at it. My mom prepared a simple meal of ground beef tacos with rice, beans, and corn. The memory isn't particularly happy - in fact, I remember being a bit frustrated from the game - but I was just so contented with life that day. None of the worries I had already accumulated at that age could touch me.

God knows I had no awareness that these would be some of the best days of my life and that living would just get worse and not better. The simple minds of children, lol.

I do wonder if this memory is on the short list of those that may race through my mind as I die. I hope to die in my sleep, of course, but this wouldn't be a bad way to go out.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, http-410, Scribble Fan and 3 others
MYStERY_Man

MYStERY_Man

The 't' is silent
Jul 15, 2020
You ask for a memory that lingers for no good reason and proceeds to explain why that one brings you joy. Not fair! :hmph:

I have one that really makes no sense. Way down the street there's this hill covered in grass and some trees. Once I was getting home from school, looked over there and only for a moment it was as if I was looking at a sand dune in the Sahara, dust and all. I thought that was a bit weird and it stuck around.

Anyway, Xbox... racing... excited for Forza Motorsport?

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
You ask for a memory that lingers for no good reason and proceeds to explain why that one brings you joy. Not fair! :hmph:

I have one that really makes no sense. Way down the street there's this hill covered in grass and some trees. Once I was getting home from school, looked over there and only for a moment it was as if I was looking at a sand dune in the Sahara, dust and all. I thought that was a bit weird and it stuck around.

Anyway, Xbox... racing... excited for Forza Motorsport?
Well, it just wasn't super happy or sad just kind of contented. Another one was when I was 4 years old and, looking out at a vulture flying in the distance past a dead tree, I realized that "the world" beyond my home was huge and that I would never see all of it. I hadn't understood when I saw Cowboy and Indian movies that they took place in a distant land.

And I don't play any racing games anymore because I've turned into a casual, lol. My reflexes are even worse now, haha.

• Wow
Reactions: MYStERY_Man
MYStERY_Man

MYStERY_Man

The 't' is silent
Jul 15, 2020
Well, it just wasn't super happy or sad just kind of contented. Another one was when I was 4 years old and, looking out at a vulture flying in the distance past a dead tree, I realized that "the world" beyond my home was huge and that I would never see all of it. I hadn't understood when I saw Cowboy and Indian movies that they took place in a distant land.
Damn, that deep for a 4 yo! I think my earliest memory is mom leaving me in kindergarten and I was crying at the gate while she was leaving in the car, the teacher was behind me.
And I don't play any racing games anymore because I've turned into a casual, lol. My reflexes are even worse now, haha.
Surprisingly, reflexes aren't really that important. Once you know what to expect of the cars and the tracks, there's a lot of foreseeing going on.

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
Damn, that deep for a 4 yo! I think my earliest memory is mom leaving me in kindergarten and I was crying at the gate while she was leaving in the car, the teacher was behind me.

Surprisingly, reflexes aren't really that important. Once you know what to expect of the cars and the tracks, there's a lot of foreseeing going on.
Do you play the realistic simulator stuff or the more arcade-style cartoon kind of stuff? I never was good at the realistic or sexy luxury car ones. I used to own tf out of Diddy Kong Racing on N64, lol. I legit made a boy in my class cry. He was upset that a girl beat his ass so handedly, lol. I wasn't bad at Mario Kart either. Rainbow Bridge was chill to me. Now I fall off within 15 seconds.

• Yay!
Reactions: MYStERY_Man
MYStERY_Man

MYStERY_Man

The 't' is silent
Jul 15, 2020
Do you play the realistic simulator stuff or the more arcade-style cartoon kind of stuff? I never was good at the realistic or sexy luxury car ones. I used to own tf out of Diddy Kong Racing on N64, lol. I legit made a boy in my class cry. He was upset that a girl beat his ass so handedly, lol. I wasn't bad at Mario Kart either. Rainbow Bridge was chill to me. Now I fall off within 15 seconds.
I'd like to be more into the sims, but I don't own a wheel. So I was playing simcade: F1, WRC, Dirt, Forza Horizon, Forza Motorsport... haven't had the time lately. But when I was younger I liked arcade stuff better. I didn't have a 64, so I'd play Mario Kart and Top Gear on the SNES; Crash Team Racing on the PS1; and NFS, Juiced and FlatOut on the PS2.

Reactions: Celerity