bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
At what point can you not change your mind? Can severe brain damage occur prior to blackout?

K

Kruger

Arcanist
Dec 26, 2019
I would say the point where you fall unconscious, but I'm no expert

StuFin

StuFin

Arcanist
Oct 21, 2020
I think you're out cold in 3 or 4 deep breaths so 15 to 30 seconds. Assuming you've got it all set up properly then it's a given that you'll ctb.

Inert gas would be my preferred choice if I could work out how to do it properly.

Reactions: Gnip, AutoTap, WearyOfStruggling and 3 others
bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
I think you're out cold in 3 or 4 deep breaths so 15 to 30 seconds. Assuming you've got it all set up properly then it's a given that you'll ctb.

Inert gas would be my preferred choice if I could work out how to do it properly.
Do you consider it that complicated?

Reactions: SmellyRat
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
No to brain damage before blacking out.

Reactions: Viro_Major
yetme

yetme

Arcanist
Oct 20, 2019

I don't get why you should be out in 30 seconds if I can hold my breath for 4,5 mins

bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
I don't get why you should be out in 30 seconds if I can hold my breath for 4,5 mins
There's a big difference between breath-holding and inhaling zero oxygen

Reactions: WearyOfStruggling, Batstern and Aap
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
If you are still conscious you are not sustaining brain damage. Brain damages from lack of oxygen to the brain, which would cause loss of consciousness. The point of no return his loss of consciousness basically.

Greenberg

Greenberg

nitrogenexit.blogspot.com
Jun 28, 2020
At what point can you not change your mind? Can severe brain damage occur prior to blackout?
You can change your mind anytime prior to blacking out. There will be no brain damage. However, note that your blackout will be very sudden without warning. My guess it will occur between your second and third breath; at the latest, your third breath.

Reactions: GasMonkey, Gnip, Aap and 1 other person
mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020

It seems like a very complicated method indeed.

Reactions: AutoTap, Umbrellaterm, Greenberg and 1 other person
S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020

Suddenly breathing pure inert gas causes oxygen levels in the blood to fall precipitously.

It is the difference of having practically zero oxygen available in the circulating blood.. versus having a less precipitous slowing down of the available circulating oxygen, the way in which it happens when a person holds their breath.

Reactions: Gnip, yetme and Ghost2211
bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
You can change your mind anytime prior to blacking out. There will be no brain damage. However, note that your blackout will be very sudden without warning. My guess it will occur between your second and third breath; at the latest, your third breath.
That's a relief. I always figured the most terrifying aspect would be the blackout "process."

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Gnip, Greenberg and Ghost2211
S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
That's a relief. I always figured the most terrifying aspect would be the blackout "process."

20+ years ago when I was a teen I inhaled 3-4 breaths (no more...) of pure helium from a large green helium tank that my friends stole.

It was instantaneous unconsciousness. I dropped to the ground dead to the world without knowing it happened until after I came back to...

• Love
Reactions: GasMonkey, WearyOfStruggling, Greenberg and 2 others
omoidarui

omoidarui

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Apr 30, 2019
Can severe brain damage occur prior to blackout?

Not prior to blackout, but the possibility of brain damage exists if you don't have enough inert gas to complete the attempt during unconsciousness

• Love
Reactions: Greenberg
S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
Not prior to blackout, but the possibility of brain damage exists if you don't have enough inert gas to complete the attempt during unconsciousness

According to OSHA:

Victims wearing respirators connected to inert gas lines (nitrogen) are in a zero percent oxygen atmosphere, and unconsciousness can occur in about 12 seconds and death in a matter of minutes.

7 minutes of total oxygen deprivation causes death of the brainstem.

Reactions: GasMonkey, Raminiki, WearyOfStruggling and 3 others
omoidarui

omoidarui

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Apr 30, 2019

@TiredHorse recommends 40 minutes (which is also in the literature) of inert gas flow to be on the "safe" side, so depending on the size of the tank, worth mentioning a flow metre may be necessary for this method too

Reactions: Gnip and Greenberg
bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
@TiredHorse recommends 40 minutes (which is also in the literature) of inert gas flow to be on the "safe" side, so depending on the size of the tank, worth mentioning a flow metre may be necessary for this method too
I think a flowmeter is mandatory.

Reactions: Gnip and Greenberg
Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
Derek Humphry has stated that four to five good gulps of pure inert gas should be sufficient to get the job done.

Reactions: wordsonscreen
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
No clue who he is, but if he says 4 "gulps" of nitrogen results in death, you should not listen to anything he has to say on the subject.

• Love
omoidarui

omoidarui

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Apr 30, 2019
I think a flowmeter is mandatory.

Depends which book you read because I've read if you're not handy with them they can introduce leaks in the setup, and a big tank should dispense for more than the minimum time anyway.

I agree though they could/should be used for that extra layer of precaution

A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
It would be absolutely ridiculous and potentially dangerous to even consider using a "big tank" without a flowmeter. These don't introduce points of failure, they are absolutely essential

• Love
Reactions: GasMonkey and Greenberg
omoidarui

omoidarui

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Apr 30, 2019
Ideally, the pressure of the helium tank should be tested with a pressure gauge. Most tanks are set to a working pressure of about 260 psi (pounds per square inch). Some of our informants have said it is also a good idea (but not necessary) to attach a flow meter to the tube coming from the tank, set to allow a gas flow of 10 liters per minute. wozz does not recommend this unless one is quite handy with such equipment. Fewer pieces of equipment means fewer connections, and less chance for leaking connections. A large (8.9 cu. ft.) tank set to a slow flow of helium into a plastic bag secured around one's neck will last at least 30 minutes before the tank is empty.

Resources can differ so ultimately we need to draw from multiple when deciding our method, but postings on this forum can potentially be hearsay so don't have as much weight as a resource as PPH and other literature.

I agree it's a good idea to use a flow meter based on everything I've read, though.

• Love
bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
No clue who he is, but if he says 4 "gulps" of nitrogen results in death, you should not listen to anything he has to say on the subject.

He's maybe the most outspoken advocate for legal assisted suicide, which is unfortunate.

• Love
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
If that is the case, I would probably look for other sources than him on exit bags. It is such an easily disprovable claim, it is silly to make.

• Love
Reactions: bov and Greenberg
StuFin

StuFin

Arcanist
Oct 21, 2020
Do you consider it that complicated?
It's getting the regulator and etc that's the problem, and making sure the bag is right. I think the diving mask is better but that's even more complicated. And expensive.

• Love
Reactions: Bauhaus, Greenberg and mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
Brain damage is likely to happen if you're saved or an accident happens during the last 1-2 minutes before death, after unconsciousness. At least that's what reports of Helium exits led by Dignitas in Switzerland commented on

• Love
Reactions: Greenberg, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and Aap
LostInSociety

LostInSociety

Oct 8, 2020
I see a lot of people want to try this method using a bag with rubber bands. I would suggest using a gas mask that is made of silicon/rubber with a one way air valve out they are not that expensive. All u will need is some electrical tape or duct tape then u drill/punch a hole true the filter insert nozzle from gas bottle and tape that filter shut with gas pyp still inserted. Gas flow will have to be set very low but at least these masks sit well to any shape face as soon as the gas runs out the mask will cut off any air flow as the filter is blocked and the air valve on top is only to let air out. The mask has good stretch bands to hold it firmly on your face and they are adjustable to any size head. This solution will not only keep the gas flowing for the entirety of your gas bottle it will stay firmly on your face and will not allow air to vent in. I myself have done something similar to the mask but my use was to smoke weed. You could probably improve on this solution but I think it will probably work.
Silo MIN 365882 EAA large

yetme

yetme

Arcanist
Oct 20, 2019
Ive seen those in pharmacies. They started selling them after rhe pandemic

Reactions: LostInSociety
Raminiki

Raminiki

Iustitia Mortuus
Jun 12, 2020
According to OSHA:

Victims wearing respirators connected to inert gas lines (nitrogen) are in a zero percent oxygen atmosphere, and unconsciousness can occur in about 12 seconds and death in a matter of minutes.

I have a tank I've calculated to flow for 15 mins, can't get a larger one. Do you think it would be suitable? I only held off as a precaution that I'd sustain brain damage but not die. I've got all the SN paraphernalia as a double whammy and think I can work it. If one doesn't do it, the other should as long as I can orchestrate it all.

Greenberg

Greenberg

nitrogenexit.blogspot.com
Jun 28, 2020
I see a lot of people want to try this method using a bag with rubber bands. I would suggest using a gas mask that is made of silicon/rubber with a one way air valve out they are not that expensive. All u will need is some electrical tape or duct tape then u drill/punch a hole true the filter insert nozzle from gas bottle and tape that filter shut with gas pyp still inserted. Gas flow will have to be set very low but at least these masks sit well to any shape face as soon as the gas runs out the mask will cut off any air flow as the filter is blocked and the air valve on top is only to let air out. The mask has good stretch bands to hold it firmly on your face and they are adjustable to any size head. This solution will not only keep the gas flowing for the entirety of your gas bottle it will stay firmly on your face and will not allow air to vent in. I myself have done something similar to the mask but my use was to smoke weed. You could probably improve on this solution but I think it will probably work.
View attachment 51530
From what I can gather, you are trying to create a rudimentary demand valve from a respiratory mask.

I applaud you for your ingenuity; however, I foresee an issue with your design.

The key issue here is (inert) gas flow. At a low rate, there would be insufficient gas to result in immediate hypoxia. What would probably result is either suffocation or air leakage into the mask due to the partial vacuum created via inhalation.

Best regards!