O

offthewalltw

Aug 21, 2020
I just purchased this mask thinking that it could be repurposed for an 'exit bag' suicide with nitrogen. This is a second hand pilot's oxygen mask. Do you think it might work?

Rap2366a

• Love
Reactions: blackballoon
bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
@Diver_K_A? @LetzteAusfahrt?

Reactions: Deleted-User-0 and offthewalltw
Deleted-User-0

Deleted-User-0

Experienced
Jan 30, 2020
Are you sure it's not a fire fighter dÄrger mask?
Could you pls attach a photo from the other side of the mask where it's placed on the face. I need to see what level of sealing it could provide.
But from what I can see it doesn't look like it could provide proper sealing it's just a vague observation.
One test you could do is blocking the end of the hose with your finger and placing the mask on your face and see for how long you could comfortably breath.
I did this test with my very first industrial mask and I could (with a bit of struggle) comfortably breath meaning sealing was not good enough.
Generally masks are not advised but if one is keen to use one diving masks are recommended as they are specifically designed to provide perfect sealing around the face.
Hope it helps

Reactions: offthewalltw and Greenberg
O

offthewalltw

Aug 21, 2020
@Diver_K_A thank you for your insight. This is from a reseller of air-plane equipment and parts, hence why I think it is designed for a pilot. I have not yet received the item and once I do, I will test it as you advise. If the seal is not satisfactory I will look at Diving Masks, but from what I have seen they are incredibly expensive with various designs on offer. For me the Turkey Basting bag direction doesn't really inspire confidence.

Anyway, I appreciate that you responded to my post. Very useful. Thank you.
Rap2366e C741bf53 46b5 49e4 b8c4 9e494fb0af6a

Deleted-User-0

Deleted-User-0

Experienced
Jan 30, 2020
@Diver_K_A thank you for your insight. This is from a reseller of air-plane equipment and parts, hence why I think it is designed for a pilot. I have not yet received the item and once I do, I will test it as you advise. If the seal is not satisfactory I will look at Diving Masks, but from what I have seen they are incredibly expensive with various designs on offer. For me the Turkey Basting bag direction doesn't really inspire confidence.

Anyway, I appreciate that you responded to my post. Very useful. Thank you.
View attachment 44603View attachment 44604

I had a closer look it's hard to say but looks like the plastic at the rear side of the mask doesn't have the adaptability to take the shape of the head and it looks a bit loose for this specific purpose.
In my understanding perfect sealing wouldn't even be necessary in the cockpit as it's still air with low level of concentration of oxygen at higher altitudes as opposed to toxic gases or water leakage in diving mask.
But you never know until you test it properly.
All the best

Last edited:
Reactions: offthewalltw