MG_39

MG_39

Physically ill suffering couch potato
Jul 5, 2019
"At oxygen concentrations in the range of 10–14%, the symptoms include breathing problems"

I don't get this, from what i've heard you breath inert gases without problem. And for example I saw an article about the Sarco (Asphyxiation chamber) It was around 95% Nitrogen and 5% procent oxygen in the chamber.

Someone who can explain this?

Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
That section just details the effects of low oxygen environments on human physiology. So, if you're looking to asphyxiate, you're not going to be able to do it at concentrations of 10% oxygen.

MG_39

MG_39

Jul 5, 2019
That section just details the effects of low oxygen environments on human physiology. So, if you're looking to asphyxiate, you're not going to be able to do it at concentrations of 10% oxygen.

What i can't understand is why can you freely breath 95-100% nitrogen (sarco 95%) but why does a higher amount of oxygen give you breathing problems. My guess would be that this is after a while. Like after 5-10 minutes of breathing. But not sure.

Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
At 10% oxygen, you develop breathing problems, because your respiratory system is trying to compensate for the decreased oxygen by breathing faster and/or harder, to try to take in more oxygen. At 5% oxygen or less, you die before those respiratory responses kick in.

MG_39

MG_39

Jul 5, 2019
At 10% oxygen, you develop breathing problems, because your respiratory system is trying to compensate for the decreased oxygen by breathing faster and/or harder, to try to take in more oxygen. At 5% oxygen or less, you die before those respiratory responses kick in.

Thank you for your answer. Found some articles about oxygen sensors in our brain that comfirmed what you are saying.