NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
Trying to make sense of the things taking place in my life, I have turned myself towards books (mostly nonfiction) to look for some direction. I've read more than the following, but these are the most notable.

I read (in no particular order):

The Power of Now, which is about our perceptions & how to reconnect spiritually.
- It helped me process & manage feelings towards how I was adapting to my newfound life with chronic pain.

Maybe You Should Talk to Someone, which is a therapist's account of supporting her patients & how while she focused on her patients, her life was crumbling around her due to recent life circumstances. Then decisions she made to change her life to keep from getting sucked into the void.
- I read this while attending therapy (after a 2.5 year wait), I was resistant to the process so I thought maybe this could help. While interesting & uplifting, it definitely didn't solve my problems. It did help me feel more open to share what I kept bottled up.

The Alchemist (during quarantine), which is a book about choices, noticing the signs around you in life & finding your purpose along the way.
- This book is fiction, though it's story does & can align with things in your personal life, or at least that's what I found. It was a sort of last ditch effort to turn things around, especially since I was/am gearing up for another attempt.

—/—/—
So I was wondering, what are you reading? Do you have any suggestions for books to help you accept or process your feelings towards wanting to CTB?

• Love
Reactions: ghost_, kitch and WornOutLife
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I read The Tunnel by Ernesto Sabato some time ago.
It's about a guy who killed the woman he loved and ends up in jail, wondering why he did such a thing, knowing she was his only saviour in this world. (and then it's related to life and death situations I won't spoil)

Check it out! I'll have a look at some of your suggestions too.

Thanks for sharing!

• Love
Reactions: NodusTollens
Upvote 1
NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
I read The Tunnel by Ernesto Sabato some time ago.
It's about a guy who killed the woman he loved and ends up in jail, wondering why he did such a thing, knowing she was his only saviour in this world. (and then it's related to life and death situations I won't spoil)

Check it out! I'll have a look at some of your suggestions too.

Thanks for sharing!
Sounds like a good read, I'll have to add it to the list. Especially since it, as you said, features his reflections on why he did what he did. I find that part fascinating.

• Love
Reactions: WornOutLife
Upvote 0
M

massiveblackhole

Student
Sep 4, 2020
Hmm I havent really read anything I would say was truly game changing. I read "The Journey" which just sounds like an overpriced marketing scheme (people pay big bucks to go on The Journey retreats). Basically what it says is you need to forgive yourself and others for past events that you may be unconsciously carrying with you cos these will manifest as things like cancer. Don't know why you need to pay someone big bucks for that.

Upvote 1
NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
Hmm I havent really read anything I would say was truly game changing. I read "The Journey" which just sounds like an overpriced marketing scheme (people pay big bucks to go on The Journey retreats). Basically what it says is you need to forgive yourself and others for past events that you may be unconsciously carrying with you cos these will manifest as things like cancer. Don't know why you need to pay someone big bucks for that.
Ahaha, you do make a good point. Not normally the types of books that, I read, but I appreciate the suggestion. I once had someone suggest a book to me, though I never got around to reading it, called The Body Keeps Score, I don't know if would interest you- though is seems along the same vein.

Reactions: massiveblackhole
Upvote 0
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021
Trying to make sense of the things taking place in my life, I have turned myself towards books (mostly nonfiction) to look for some direction. I've read more than the following, but these are the most notable.

I read (in no particular order):

The Power of Now, which is about our perceptions & how to reconnect spiritually.
- It helped me process & manage feelings towards how I was adapting to my newfound life with chronic pain.

Maybe You Should Talk to Someone, which is a therapist's account of supporting her patients & how while she focused on her patients, her life was crumbling around her due to recent life circumstances. Then decisions she made to change her life to keep from getting sucked into the void.
- I read this while attending therapy (after a 2.5 year wait), I was resistant to the process so I thought maybe this could help. While interesting & uplifting, it definitely didn't solve my problems. It did help me feel more open to share what I kept bottled up.

The Alchemist (during quarantine), which is a book about choices, noticing the signs around you in life & finding your purpose along the way.
- This book is fiction, though it's story does & can align with things in your personal life, or at least that's what I found. It was a sort of last ditch effort to turn things around, especially since I was/am gearing up for another attempt.

—/—/—
So I was wondering, what are you reading? Do you have any suggestions for books to help you accept or process your feelings towards wanting to CTB?
Okay, this is really really weird. we are too similar.... Those are all my favorite books. I'm also pan and have similar trauma to what you have alluded to in your other posts. I've found The Body Keeps the Score to be insightful as well. You're definitely not alone in any of this even if it feels this way.

• Hugs
Reactions: NodusTollens
Upvote 0
B

blahblahhh

Jan 15, 2021
A New Earth! Tolle's second book is fantastic as well as Stillness Speaks...

• Love
Reactions: wordsonscreen and NodusTollens
Upvote 1
NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
A New Earth! Tolle's second book is fantastic as well as Stillness Speaks...

I actually own that, haven't read it yet though. I have read the Power of Now by Tolle, definitely enjoyed the read.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: blahblahhh
Upvote 0