Dysgenic Pup

Dysgenic Pup

A canine that’s not so heavenly.
Sep 18, 2021
25-imposter-syndrome.jpg

I relate to this a lot. I've always felt stunted in my knowledge of many subjects, my lacking vocabulary, narrow interests in music, inexperience in most things, etc. When I moved in with my father at the age of 13, us kids were always told things along the lines of "you guys were raised wrong, your mother was a bad parent" in reference to our incompetence in some things. I'm also a perfectionist, believing that if I didn't get an A in all my classes, ace all my exams, etc. then I should be ashamed of myself (I wasn't able to be perfect such things). I believe these mindsets are setting me up for failure. I never set realistic goals for myself. I feel like I know so little.

• Hugs
Reactions: Smart No More and AtMostOkay
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Imposter syndrome is a side effect of analytical thinking and is common amongst artist. The reason being that the (analytical) eye develops ahead of the (practical) hand. So whats learned is always a step ahead of what is put into practice. Without this trait there would be no development as you would look at your efforts and assume them to be acceptable or even exemplary. Bearing all that in mind it might be best to own and love your imposter syndrome safe in the knowledge that as long as you have it you are making successful efforts to improve on yourself. Usually a good way of satisfying yourself of this (as an artist) is to look back at work you once thought was no good. You'll still look at it with the scrutiny of an analytical eye but you'll have gained enough distance from it personally to see the good in it. You'll no longer only see the faults in it as you already learned from them and moved on. Now you'll appreciate it for the things you did right too. This can be applied to other aspects of life in the same way. Gaining distance (in the form of time usually) will provide a more objective view, unhindered by insecurities and the sheerness of your analytic eye.

I have personal experience with this and think many people have in one way or another. Hopefully this rings true for you. If you look at the opposite end of the scale, those that assume to be the greatest and wax lyrical about it are very often embarrassingly terrible at whatever they sing their own praises over. It would be logical to determine that it's because they're not critically analytical of their efforts thus completing the loop and proving the theory.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Citruscine, Pluto and kitch