thx1138

thx1138

Student
Jun 28, 2019
I'm scared to go to a psychiatrist in case they want to send me to inpatient treatment/hospital.

I have first time episode of schizophrenia but I'm quite functional and I still go to work etc. What should I say to avoid hospitalization?

Do they only hospitalize suicidal cases, or also instances of psychosis??? I'm not dangerous to anyone, just hearing voices.

Any advice or reassurance is appreciated. Thank you!

jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
What country are you in? I've been to a psychiatric hospital 7 times and it was always at least ok. Just a bit boring sometimes. But often I liked it. The staff can be caring, the food is good and regular, and you can meet like minded people, find friends, even a partner like I did! Plus they're there to help you feel better. It's a nice diversion.

They'll hospitalise you only if they think you're an imminent danger to yourself or others. If they believe you could seriously harm yourself soon then they'll want to hospitalise you. If you want help but don't want to be hospitalised you could tell them that you have regular suicidal thoughts but either that there's something stopping you like not wanting to hurt family, or that you haven't had any plans on how to hurt yourself, eg cos you're too scared to jump off a building or that there are no safe, reliable ways to die so you don't want to try.

Plety of people hear voices and don't get hospitalised, even if the voices are telling you to do bad things. They make a judgement about what your actions are likely to include. But maybe hospitalisation wouldn't be so bad? It really depends what country you're in as to what the experience would be like. In the USA and third world countries it's not good - but might still be advisable? In the UK and many European countries it's much much better. I'd even ask to be admitted under a voluntary basis. If you don't like it, just leave. But wherever you're admitted, if you don't like it and they won't release you, just call a lawyer and have them get you release, under the premise that you're not a danger to yourself or others and have not demonstrated that you are.

thx1138

thx1138

Student
Jun 28, 2019
What country are you in? I've been to a psychiatric hospital 7 times and it was always at least ok. Just a bit boring sometimes. But often I liked it. The staff can be caring, the food is good and regular, and you can meet like minded people, find friends, even a partner like I did! Plus they're there to help you feel better. It's a nice diversion.

They'll hospitalise you only if they think you're an imminent danger to yourself or others. If they believe you could seriously harm yourself soon then they'll want to hospitalise you. If you want help but don't want to be hospitalised you could tell them that you have regular suicidal thoughts but either that there's something stopping you like not wanting to hurt family, or that you haven't had any plans on how to hurt yourself, eg cos you're too scared to jump off a building or that there are no safe, reliable ways to die so you don't want to try.

Plety of people hear voices and don't get hospitalised, even if the voices are telling you to do bad things. They make a judgement about what your actions are likely to include. But maybe hospitalisation wouldn't be so bad? It really depends what country you're in as to what the experience would be like. In the USA and third world countries it's not good - but might still be advisable? In the UK and many European countries it's much much better. I'd even ask to be admitted under a voluntary basis. If you don't like it, just leave. But wherever you're admitted, if you don't like it and they won't release you, just call a lawyer and have them get you release, under the premise that you're not a danger to yourself or others and have not demonstrated that you are.
Thank you this is a really amazing response. I'm in Germany. I've never been to a hospital here and have no idea what they're like. I was in one in the US previously and didn't like it. But you put me more at ease about this. Thanks.

• Love
Reactions: jodes2
thx1138

thx1138

Student
Jun 28, 2019
Update: my GP sent me to the emergency psychiatrist as he thought I have schizophrenia. But the psychiatrist diagnosed me with a psychotic episode. She prescribed me Abilify. And she didn't want to send me to the hospital. That was just paranoia I guess :ahhha: @jodes2 really helped to ease the fear.

• Love
Reactions: jodes2