seekingeternalsleep

seekingeternalsleep

Automatic pilot: On
Nov 6, 2019
in less than a month i'll go talk with my psychiatrist, and i don't really know if i should tell them about my suicidal thoughts (they have been more strong than usual) because i'm scared of them making me go to a psych ward, i have been told that in these places they treat people like shit, so i might not tell my psychiatrist about my suicidal thoughts, but at the same time i want them to stop, any help about this?

rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
Maybe you could start by saying that things seem pointless and you can't think of any reason to carry on.

Reactions: newave3 and Smart No More
H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
I've been to the psych ward a couple times and they didn't treat me like shit. It was pointless though, I was able to attempt in there.

• Hugs
Reactions: newave3 and waitingforrest
seekingeternalsleep

seekingeternalsleep

Nov 6, 2019
Maybe you could start by saying that things seem pointless and you can't think of any reason to carry on.
maybe i can try that, and see how it works, thanks!

Reactions: rationaltake and Smart No More
Interloper

Interloper

Jul 23, 2021
in less than a month i'll go talk with my psychiatrist, and i don't really know if i should tell them about my suicidal thoughts (they have been more strong than usual) because i'm scared of them making me go to a psych ward, i have been told that in these places they treat people like shit, so i might not tell my psychiatrist about my suicidal thoughts, but at the same time i want them to stop, any help about this?
It's generally better if you go voluntarily and not get sent there involuntarily, partially because that way you can still leave if the one you go to does treat you like shit.

Reactions: ConstantPain and waitingforrest
seekingeternalsleep

seekingeternalsleep

Nov 6, 2019
I've been to the psych ward a couple times and they didn't treat me like shit. It was pointless though, I was able to attempt in there.
i don't know, but i have friends that have been in different psych ward and told me that, but i guess that in every country or place works different
It's generally better if you go voluntarily and not get sent there involuntarily, partially because that way you can still leave if the one you go to does treat you like shit.
i don't really know if where i live they let you leave if you go in voluntarily, but it's not a bad option tho ^^

Last edited:
Rd2nowhere

Rd2nowhere

Silly Tulip is a color.
Jun 16, 2022
It all depends on where you go. There are private mental health facilities in the US that offer a variety of different activities. It milks your insurance. It if a state run it is pointless and unhelpful.

Reactions: self.destractive and waitingforrest
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Yeah, I guess just fut the feelers out very gently and test the ground. Don't give it all up out the gate. I think there's a difference between having suicidal thoughts and planning to actually attempt suicide. You can tell them what you need without telling them exactly why. I think @rationaltake gave you good advice.

imtrying

imtrying

Apr 29, 2022
You can look up the laws in your country and/or state regarding involuntary hospitalization, the criteria for "active suicidal ideation", etc. to figure out how they are legally required to treat you depending on what you say.

• Informative
Reactions: Eternal🌈Rainbow, waitingforrest and Skathon
seekingeternalsleep

seekingeternalsleep

Nov 6, 2019
It all depends on where you go. There are private mental health facilities in the US that offer a variety of different activities. It milks your insurance. It if a state run it is pointless and unhelpful.
i think that herer there aren't any private facilities, they are all public, the good thing is that i live in eruope so it's free for me.
Yeah, I guess just fut the feelers out very gently and test the ground. Don't give it all up out the gate. I think there's a difference between having suicidal thoughts and planning to actually attempt suicide. You can tell them what you need without telling them exactly why. I think @rationaltake gave you good advice.
yeah, i planned to ctb but i allways overthink about it and never commit it or even try, but yes, the advice that they gave me is quite good tho.
You can look up the laws in your country and/or state regarding involuntary hospitalization, the criteria for "active suicidal ideation", etc. to figure out how they are legally required to treat you depending on what you say.
i'll look onto that, thanks you!

Last edited:
Reactions: ConstantPain, waitingforrest and Smart No More
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
yeah, i planned to ctb but i allways overthink about it and never commit it or even try.....

What I meant is that when you speak with your psychiatrist there's a difference in their eyes between you thinking about suicide and actually planning to do it. I was eluding to the fact you can potentially talk about suicide without being seen as fully suicidal. It's all in how you word and phrase things. And of course the technicalities of the system in regards to how they view and handle matters. Generally if they think you're likely to bw a risk to yourself or others they can start looking at involuntary admittance. If you say you have ideation (plans on how to ctb) they will take it more seriously (and be more inclined to consider involuntary admittance) than if you say you're struggling to keep going and see no future for yourself. That is understandable talk from a depressed person. Of course, if you feel you need to say more than that to get the treatment you need then you will have to make a judgement call.

Just thought I'd add that in case you thought I was accusing you of not being serious or something. ( not that there's anything wrong about it if you're not!) Your post kind of gave me the impression that that's how it may have come across to you. If so you clearly weren't offended by it but I do prefer to make sure there's no confusion and I definitely don't to make anyone feel I'm making assumptions about them. As I wasn't specific about why I bought up the difference between feeling suicidal and actually planning to do it I can see how it would be easy to take it in a different way than I intended.

Good luck with the psychiatrist when you see them. Maybe write down what you feel you need from them and the things you want to talk about. Having that to hand when you go there will make it easier. I always come away from doctors appointments regretting things I forgot to say. :))

Last edited:
seekingeternalsleep

seekingeternalsleep

Nov 6, 2019
What I meant is that when you speak with your psychiatrist there's a difference in their eyes between you thinking about suicide and actually planning to do it. I was eluding to the fact you can potentially talk about suicide without being seen as fully suicidal. It's all in how you word and phrase things. And of course the technicalities of the system in regards to how they view and handle matters. Generally if they think you're likely to bw a risk to yourself or others they can start looking at involuntary admittance. If you say you have ideation (plans on how to ctb) they will take it more seriously (and be more inclined to consider involuntary admittance) than if you say you're struggling to keep going and see no future for yourself. That is understandable talk from a depressed person. Of course, if you feel you need to say more than that to get the treatment you need then you will have to make a judgement call.

Just thought I'd add that in case you thought I was accusing you of not being serious or something. ( not that there's anything wrong about it if you're not!) Your post kind of gave me the impression that that's how it may have come across to you. If so you clearly weren't offended by it but I do prefer to make sure there's no confusion and I definitely don't to make anyone feel I'm making assumptions about them. As I wasn't specific about why I bought up the difference between feeling suicidal and actually planning to do it I can see how it would be easy to take it in a different way than I intended.

Good luck with the psychiatrist when you see them. Maybe write down what you feel you need from them and the things you want to talk about. Having that to hand when you go there will make it easier. I always come away from doctors appointments regretting things I forgot to say. :))
ohhh okay, i didont really understand what you said, sorry.

i didn't get offended, sorry if that's how it looked, it wasn't my intention, i really like that other people give me advice, tbh!

thanks! i allways forget things too, hopefully i wont forget about other things i want to tell my psychiatris :ahhha:

Reactions: Smart No More
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
ohhh okay, i didont really understand what you said, sorry.

i didn't get offended, sorry if that's how it looked, it wasn't my intention, i really like that other people give me advice, tbh!

thanks! i allways forget things too, hopefully i wont forget about other things i want to tell my psychiatris :ahhha:
You didn't appear offended but thanks for making it clear. I sometimes type things assuming everyone will just understand the context or what I'm 'hinting' at lol. I wish I was able to say things more concisely sometimes as I end up typing out large posts that most people would say in a few words. Unfortunately I don't think they can give me pills for that. :))

• Hugs
Reactions: seekingeternalsleep
seekingeternalsleep

seekingeternalsleep

Nov 6, 2019
You didn't appear offended but thanks for making it clear. I sometimes type things assuming everyone will just understand the context or what I'm 'hinting' at lol. I wish I was able to say things more concisely sometimes as I end up typing out large posts that most people would say in a few words. Unfortunately I don't think they can give me pills for that. :))
yeah same, that's one of the reasons i think i may be neurodivergent, i dont really know how to read between lines but and use too much words to express anything i want to say :pfff:

Reactions: Smart No More
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I'm in a psych ward and it's boring. So if you do go make sure you take books/activities you are allowed.

I was really scared but they haven't changed my meds here. But voluntary is better than involuntary because then you can leave. This one is UK.

In the first one I was in the staff were more rude. So it can depend. I think it also depends on your diagnosis too as to how you are treated and how long you get kept

• Love
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
I think you have to consider, what do you gain or lose from telling the psychiatrist these thoughts? What outcome do you want once they are aware of that information? Would the end goal be to get started on a different class of medications, or get referred for a certain type of therapy?

I think it would be easier to articulate that your condition has deteriorated and something needs to change in regards to the treatment you're receiving, rather than risk getting an involuntary prison sentence in psych jail where you will have no freedom or bodily autonomy. I don't say this to be callous, but the vast majority of psychiatrists are far more concerned about potential liability than they are actually helping a client.

Once they hear certain "crisis related" buzzwords, it sends off alarm bells in their heads and they will start to worry about the hit their career will take if they have a suicidal patient who candidly admits to their ideation and feelings, and goes on to do any act of self harm. They do not want to be held responsible, which is why they employ punitive measures like forced hospitalisations rather than taking into account what their client wants, their circumstances, and w hat would actually help them.

These professions operate under the framework of beurocratic procedures and guidelines, rather than holistic approaches which consider your comfort and stability. It is unfortunate, but they are bound by law to use forceful measures once their subjective judgement has deemed an individual as a harm to themselves. This varies a lot by country and institution, with some places like the USA having laxer guidelines for detaining suicidal people compared to countries like the UK where it is more of a last resort.

I think it saves a lot of heartache, pain, and potential trauma to know exactly what you want out of these types of services, acknowledging what they are able to provide and what they aren't. If rapid medication changes are what you think would help, I would emphasise that to your psychiatrist instead, because in a ward the patient has essentially no say in the medications they are given and often times these changes can be very harmful as unpleasant side effects are attributed to one's "condition" and not the sudden paradigm shift in drugs that the patient is subjected to.

I hope that you're able to find anything that helps you, and can express your pain in a way that doesn't result in forced sectioning. I have seen a lot of people go into wards much worse than they go in, and psychiatrists do not understand how unproductive and cruel it is to take away someone's bodily autonomy rather than just listening to what they have to say.

• Love
Reactions: ConstantPain, Eternal🌈Rainbow, Skathon and 1 other person
8evergo

8evergo

Mage
Oct 20, 2021
never make that mistake bro psychiatrists and the like are only there to boost the pharma industry the legal ones are real sick be smart don't show your heart to anyone who doesn't deserve it

• Love
DarkNearDeath

DarkNearDeath

Student
May 1, 2021
I should be. It's literally hell on earth. It's like being in Friday the 13th.

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
My suggestion would be to talk openly about your suicidality. I have done that to many professionals. And only one time I was forced to the psych ward. Though I negotiated succesfully for a better more open clinic. I was in the psychiatry but not where all the psychotic, acute suicidal people are. They considered me acute suicidal but I could stay in this clinic. The clinic was way better than the psych ward.
It kind of was relieving to be there. At least a little bit. I was acute suicidal and thought about how to do it 24/7. Taking me to option to leave was in some sense relieving. At home I always had the thought I just have to do it. And already got plans how to do it.

And to add one thing: they only can force you to the psych ward if you are acute suicidal. I think this is a common policy in most western countries.
If your psychiatrist considers you honest and you tell him you are not acute suiciday he cannot force you to do anything.

I think it is important to talk openly to a psychiatrist. Maybe he has an idea which medication could improve your mental state.

Last edited:
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
@Torvi a psychiatrist is not a counselor. Their sole purpose is to prescribe you drugs or have you institutionalized. They don't care about you or your problems.

So unless you want to be locked up, which won't do anything except make you more suicidal, don't mention wanting to kill yourself. Don't even mention suicide. Just say you feel like your stuck in neutral, struggling but not really getting anywhere. Or that you have no energy and procrastinate. You can search for what to say for the drugs you want.

You may also get assigned to a counselor. Again, not your friend, doesn't give a shit. Mention suicide, hopelessness, anything like that, and kiss your freedom goodbye.

You have to remember, these people spent years of time and hundreds of thousands of dollars on their degrees and certificates. That's the most important thing to them. The second you place them in jeopardy by talking about killing yourself, they go into defense mode. You are a job to them, they will help if it's easy and risk free.

Other than drugs, your best bet is to spend some time in the recovery section. Make some friends there. Those people want to live, and have strategies that actually work.

• Informative
Reactions: Ringo and waitingforrest
Moonlight Tears

Moonlight Tears

I will put the fire out with my tears.
Jun 15, 2022
It's ok to tell your psychiatrist you have suicidal thoughts, just don't tell them you have a plan to kill yourself. As far as how terrible a psych ward can be that just depends on which one you go to. Some are ok and some are bad.