Terry A. Davis

Terry A. Davis

Aug 28, 2023
My life is a complete joke. It's barely a life. I work 12 hour shifts every day, come home in pain have almost no time to do anything other than minimal stuff and then it's time to do the whole thing again.

I make this money to pay for shit that only makes it easier to work. It's a fucking scam. I hate working and I have never enjoyed working.

Whenever I get a couple of hours to hang out with my friends, all they talk about is what they got up to at work and their amazing news that they bought a new kitchen sink and dishwasher. Wow! So interesting! They are like hollowed out versions of themselves.

When I look at one of the relationships of my friends, you can just tell there is animosity between them. His girlfriend works as well as him. I was around at his a little while ago and all she does when she gets home is eats and complains. Every time I have been there that is what happens. I wonder if she doesn't like me very much and wants me to stop coming round?

Though I feel I've been left behind somewhat since I've never had a super long term relationship and struggle to get into anything in the first place, I'm not exactly upset about THAT anymore. This world turns couples into angry slobs constantly worried about money and never having time to enjoy themselves. Even when they schedule things they are constantly worried about time. They can never live in the moment.

I myself worry about time ALL the time because I need to get to work, need to get on break, need to come back etc. It's terrible and I hate it and I want to go back on Universal Credit (government benefits) again.

I'm just venting here but I seriously think we are all slaves. Especially in the UK. I can't even use this website without using a VPN because offcom wants to stop me from finding ways to end my hellish life. The british government wants me to linger on as long as I am making them money and being productive. They wouldn't give a shit about me if I wasn't thinking of ending myself. It's only when you want to check out they start their whole 'mindfulness' schtick.

Its fucking evil. And nobody wants to do anything about it because nobody wants to be the first person to speak up.

I wonder if governments create these 'big issues' for people to get mad about so it takes the limelight off of them. Makes sense right?

• Hugs
Reactions: Ambivalent1, LonelyKitten, Forever Sleep and 9 others
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
I'm sorry you're suffering in such a way. It must be terrible being forced to endure such long hours and repeating the same process of tirelessly working and going home only to do the same thing again the next day.. It's so cruel how people are forced to live like this and then the majority of people don't even begin to question this, continuing to glorify life and shunning those who want to put an end to their suffering. They even view them as fit for being admitted to the psych ward and encourage this to happen, without even acknowledging how they feel.

Another terrible thing is how the government wants to censor places giving information on how to put an end to suffering for supposed encouragement, without addressing the real issue causing people to resort to suicide. It is pure cruelty and absolutely evil and I'm sorry you're trapped in this loop that you were unfortunately brought into. I hope you can find peace soon. Best wishes.

Reactions: sserafim, Terry A. Davis and Praestat_Mori
Terry A. Davis

Terry A. Davis

Aug 28, 2023
I'm sorry you're suffering in such a way. It must be terrible being forced to endure such long hours and repeating the same process of tirelessly working and going home only to do the same thing again the next day.. It's so cruel how people are forced to live like this and then the majority of people don't even begin to question this, continuing to glorify life and shunning those who want to put an end to their suffering. They even view them as fit for being admitted to the psych ward and encourage this to happen, without even acknowledging how they feel.

Another terrible thing is how the government wants to censor places giving information on how to put an end to suffering for supposed encouragement, without addressing the real issue causing people to resort to suicide. It is pure cruelty and absolutely evil and I'm sorry you're trapped in this loop that you were unfortunately brought into. I hope you can find peace soon. Best wishes.
The funny thing is if I were to be admitted to a psychiatric institution I'll finally have a holiday/vacation to relax so I'm almost tempted to sign myself up.

But that means I will lose my job. They wouldn't keep me on if they found that out.

• Hugs
Reactions: アホペンギン
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
The funny thing is if I were to be admitted to a psychiatric institution I'll finally have a holiday/vacation to relax so I'm almost tempted to sign myself up.

But that means I will lose my job. They wouldn't keep me on if they found that out.
Funnily enough, some people voluntarily admit themselves to the psych ward to get a vacation from work or to do some other stupid things while in the ward.. usually hitting on people among other things but such things can really only be encountered in the lower security wards. Still crazy nonetheless..

It is actually a good opportunity to do this, considering your current situation and how you're tired of your life but of course knowing the risk of losing your job keeps you from it. I'm sorry.

Reactions: Terry A. Davis
Old Friend

Old Friend

Sleep well, Airstrip One.
Sep 24, 2023
I could never do 60 hours a week. Even if it otherwise meant no food or shelter. 40 was bad enough. Felt like I did nothing else but work and spend the rest of my time recovering from it. Was not much up to doing anything else. I certainly didn't have the time or energy to hit on anyone.

And I get the dull "got a new dishwasher the other day" normie conversations. It's boring and I don't give a fuck. Almost feels like I'm broadcasting on a slightly off frequency, or at least I'm cycling on a different phase. It's lonely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 65988, sserafim and Terry A. Davis
Terry A. Davis

Terry A. Davis

Aug 28, 2023
I could never do 60 hours a week. Even if it otherwise meant no food or shelter. 40 was bad enough. Felt like I did nothing else but work and spend the rest of my time recovering from it. Was not much up to doing anything else. I certainly didn't have the time or energy to hit on anyone.

And I get the dull "got a new dishwasher the other day" normie conversations. It's boring and I don't give a fuck. Almost feels like I'm broadcasting on a slightly off frequency, or at least I'm cycling on a different phase. It's lonely.
It was silly of me to do it but I've made my bed now. Gotta just keep toiling away until I can no longer

• Hugs
Reactions: Old Friend
tiger b

tiger b

AI without the I
Oct 24, 2023
Twelve hour shifts are brutal, especially three or four in a row. You have my sympathy.

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Doesn't the UK have a labor law? 60h sounds a lot.

Old Friend

Old Friend

Sep 24, 2023
Yes, you can't be forced into doing overtime (> 40 hours) but you can opt in. Reality is, many either feel pressured by their employer or feel they have to because the 40 hours doesn't pay enough.

I was weighing this up when I was doing 40 hours up until three weeks or so ago. If I were live on my own, I'd have had little left over after rent, food & bills. It worked out better than unemployment but not by that much and not 40 hours worth of much.

Reactions: lex and Terry A. Davis
Terry A. Davis

Terry A. Davis

Aug 28, 2023
Yes, you can't be forced into doing overtime (> 40 hours) but you can opt in. Reality is, many either feel pressured by their employer or feel they have to because the 40 hours doesn't pay enough.

I was weighing this up when I was doing 40 hours up until three weeks or so ago. If I were live on my own, I'd have had little left over after rent, food & bills. It worked out better than unemployment but not by that much and not 40 hours worth of much.

@Praestat_Mori Thats my situation. Overtime is 'optional' but if you don't take it they will scrutinize everything you do for the week you were supposed to take overtime and then sack you

• Aww..
Reactions: BrainShower, LonelyKitten and lex
TheRottingContinues

TheRottingContinues

Low consciousness
Aug 23, 2023
The situation is so absurd, it's almost comical. I once heard somebody say that the ideal day is evenly split across 24 hours: 8 hours work, 8 hours leisure, 8 hours sleep. Well if you take a look at the life of the average worker, it sure looks a lot different. Even I, as a student, spend more than 12 hours a day at school or doing other school related activities: it's insane. I'm sure that, in actuality, much less work is required to keep our lives stable with food, water, shelter, etc. But we are kept working to feed the "money machine." It's so absurd and unfair, it loops right back around to being funny and amusing. It's just so weirdly funny how a human's life has been reduced to repetitiveness.
We're all miserable in the climate.

Reactions: LonelyKitten
Rational man

Rational man

Enlightened
Oct 19, 2021
Thats long hours I never did even as self employed. I think many people place emphasis on a materlist lifestyle so the expenditure is always there and to be honest, I dont think we get happy from it. Debt is terrible and our UK housing situ is a joke. Maybe your wiser to this like I was. Eventually Sunak will be kicked out and young people will have a better chance of turning things around instead of living in this swamp that our government has created. My friend keeps showing off his new car but in mind i jut say its just a fxxxcking car!.

Reactions: Terry A. Davis and piddincir
piddincir

piddincir

Student
Nov 6, 2023
@Praestat_Mori Thats my situation. Overtime is 'optional' but if you don't take it they will scrutinize everything you do for the week you were supposed to take overtime and then sack you
haha yeah what a bullshit country we live in, I remember when they brought in the EU working time directive (when we were still part of the EU) and limited working weeks to max 48 hours but my company made everyone sign wavers to this.

It's totally bullshit, I endured this bullshit all my life (im 35 been working for 10 year) and have to until I retire, which at this rate will be when we are in our 70s. I had a reason to live and keep on struggling but my wife killed herself recently and I can't see myself going back to the 'rat race' after as I have nothing to work or struggle on for. It was bearable when I had her but without what's the fucking point.

very few people live to work whilst the rest of us work to live, what's the fucking point we all end up dead anyway.

Rant over

• Aww..
Reactions: LonelyKitten, Terry A. Davis and Deleted member 65988
D

Deleted member 65988

and have to until I retire, which at this rate will be when we are in our 70s. I had a reason to live and keep on struggling but my wife killed herself recently and I can't see myself going back to the 'rat race' after as I have nothing to work or struggle on for. It was bearable when I had her but without what's the fucking point.
I'm so sorry for your recent loss, in your shoes, I'd be absolutely demotivated to even carry in the "rat-race" seeing as your reason to live and keep struggling isn't there.

Terry A. Davis

Terry A. Davis

Aug 28, 2023
haha yeah what a bullshit country we live in, I remember when they brought in the EU working time directive (when we were still part of the EU) and limited working weeks to max 48 hours but my company made everyone sign wavers to this.

It's totally bullshit, I endured this bullshit all my life (im 35 been working for 10 year) and have to until I retire, which at this rate will be when we are in our 70s. I had a reason to live and keep on struggling but my wife killed herself recently and I can't see myself going back to the 'rat race' after as I have nothing to work or struggle on for. It was bearable when I had her but without what's the fucking point.

very few people live to work whilst the rest of us work to live, what's the fucking point we all end up dead anyway.

Rant over
Sorry to hear about your wife. I've imagined that having someone like that to care for makes the slavery worth it. I think if I had a wife I would quite happily work 60 hours if it meant we could have a life together.

Completely understand why someone would think of dropping out after something like that. I would.

Terry A. Davis

Terry A. Davis

Aug 28, 2023
Thats long hours I never did even as self employed. I think many people place emphasis on a materlist lifestyle so the expenditure is always there and to be honest, I dont think we get happy from it. Debt is terrible and our UK housing situ is a joke. Maybe your wiser to this like I was. Eventually Sunak will be kicked out and young people will have a better chance of turning things around instead of living in this swamp that our government has created. My friend keeps showing off his new car but in mind i jut say its just a fxxxcking car!.
Yeah. People like to brag about the items they've bought after working very hard. But I hold back in saying 'what's the point if you have no time to enjoy any of it?'

I try to bring people around me up because I know I bring myself down all the time. But its frustrating to hear someone go on and on about their purchases when 2 weeks later that item just sits gathering dust and was a pointless purchase in the long run.

I hardly buy anything so I just save. Save for what? I don't know.

Reactions: Rational man
piddincir

piddincir

Student
Nov 6, 2023
Yeah. People like to brag about the items they've bought after working very hard. But I hold back in saying 'what's the point if you have no time to enjoy any of it?'

I try to bring people around me up because I know I bring myself down all the time. But its frustrating to hear someone go on and on about their purchases when 2 weeks later that item just sits gathering dust and was a pointless purchase in the long run.

I hardly buy anything so I just save. Save for what? I don't know.
Yeah I have lots of friends like this, wasting money on pointless shit they never use and bragging about it. My wife family were the worst for that, it's all about show and keeping up with the neighbours. I've got a shit car that I love, I can afford a better one but why would I waste money on something that does the same thing. I used to spend all my money on travelling instead and savings, experiences last a lifetime in memory where material things are just the trappings of capitalism. Savings do me no good now so might just fucking travel and not come back

Love was my reason to work. I could bear coming home and just being with my wife - we used to both work from home which made working so much better. She lost her job in April got made redundant, she hated work but ironically at the end missed the structure of it and I think the thought of having to do it forever go to her.

I can't go back to it.

What I would say to you mate is it does get slightly easier the older you get - not only because you just get conditioned to accept it. I haven't progressed far in my career, I am good at what I do and happy with what I earn and have no lofty ambitions to be senior management. I prioritised time with my wife over climbing the ladder, we both did. But the more you do your job the better you get at it so can become a lot more efficient the at doing it the older you get. I used to work 12 hours in my early 20s before I met my wife (made more money than I do now) but not I can get the same amount of work done in like half the time.

Not that there's any point to it now.

Reactions: Deleted member 65988
Old Friend

Old Friend

Sep 24, 2023
The situation is so absurd, it's almost comical. I once heard somebody say that the ideal day is evenly split across 24 hours: 8 hours work, 8 hours leisure, 8 hours sleep.
I think that just looks neat. I doubt there's much scientific evidence to support it.

8 hours work, five days a week is 40 hours. That was invented by Henry Ford over a century ago. Yes, it was better than what most similar employers were offering at the time but it's still arbitary. It could just as easily be 35 or 45.

It also works out more than 40 hours when you add in commuting, getting ready etc. My job is 40 hours a week. But there's an hour lunch. I don't need an hour for lunch. This makes the working day 9 to 5:30, half an hour longer every day than the standard 9-5. I don't get paid for that hour. Rightly, perhaps, because I'm not working in that hour but it's not really free time. I'm restricted in what I can do in that hour, even if I don't eat. It's not worth going home. I can maybe do a bit of shopping but then I'll have to carry it back to the office and then carry it home. I could go to the pub but it's not a good look.

As for sleep, they say 8 hours but everyone's different. I honestly think I need 10. So that further eats into the "free" time. I think most depressive-type people do need more sleep and also have a natural tendancy towards getting up late and going to bed late. This puts us at a disadvantage when trying to function in normal society. I think many would function better if they could work part time and be able to live off it. That's not an option for most though.

I'm so relieved I'm signed off at the moment.

Last edited:
Iva

Iva

Student
Mar 4, 2023
My life is a complete joke. It's barely a life. I work 12 hour shifts every day, come home in pain have almost no time to do anything other than minimal stuff and then it's time to do the whole thing again.

I make this money to pay for shit that only makes it easier to work. It's a fucking scam. I hate working and I have never enjoyed working.
this is the price of being born a man. they cut your foreskin off so life is less pleasurable then only value you for how productive you can be. They shove people in our faces like alexander the great and tell us he is the epitome of what a man should be. However, all he did with his life was work work work and then die young at 31. As men we are fodder and worth absolutely nothing to anyone. Our only purpose is to seek to be like Alexander the Great and win every battle in life until we fizzle out in a shortlived blaze of glory. The biggest problem is it's damn near impossible to win every battle in life like he did and as men we are immediately replaceable if we underperform. Biology or God or whatever you believe in designed us like this. To be easily replaced and insignificant in the grand scheme of the world we live on.

Reactions: LonelyKitten