If you hold Nihilistic type views, do you find them empowering or crushing?

• I work, hold Nihilistic views and find them empowering.

• I work, hold Nihilistic views and find them crushing.

• I don't work, hold Nihilistic views and find them empowering.

• I don't work, hold Nihilistic views and find them crushing.

• I don't care- I'm a proper Nihilist- nothing matters!

• I don't hold Nihilistic views.

Results are only viewable after voting.
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I'm always curious about how people experience their own state of mind- if that makes sense? Like ideation- some people fight it, some people hate it, some people openly embrace it.

I get the impression that people with Nihistic views might be the same. I recall someone saying learning about Nihilism was like peeking behind the curtain in 'The Wizard of Oz'. Once the illusion of life and what we're taught it's supposed to be is dropped- it's hard to un-see the 'reality'. I think some people feel empowered by knowing 'the truth'- while for others- maybe it robs them of their joy- if their joy was wrapped up in what are now seen as delusions.

I also wonder whether it's harder to live with Nihilistic views and yet- still have to do things like- go to work. I imagine it's harder to commit to having to live life when your heart really isn't in it.

For me- I'm not a total Nihilist- although, I do hold some Nihilistic beliefs. For me- I think my cynicism has helped me in a way! My actual character is fairly placid and polite- which tends to leave me open for exploitation. I think it's my cynical, Nihilistic side that sometimes stops that from happening. Plus, I think recently, it has helped me to relax! At one point, I'd be panicking and be wracked with guilt at any time I wasn't working. I'm finding it so much harder to care now! It likely won't last- I do need to earn money in the long run but for now honestly- it's nice! It can feel liberating knowing you don't need to be part of the rat race.

• Informative
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: lonegore, noname223, H.O.Xan and 1 other person
NoLoveNoHope

NoLoveNoHope

Mage
Mar 25, 2023
I find Nihilism to be comforting especially my time being apart of sasu, the ideas do comfort me if I were to ctb. I'm not particularly a full Nihilist, I try not to live any different despite my views because they don't really matter. I find it empowering in the sense I can do whatever I want and it won't matter either way.

I don't really have a plan for my life, I just do want I find interesting and when I find that boring I move on in an infinite cycle. I don't find meaning or purpose in long-term goals so I stick to short term ones. Right now it's technology, it's surprisingly a useful skill for the world we're headed towards but I doubt I'd ever use it.

I just live shallowly and try not to think too much except when I find the concept disturbing or anxiety-inducing. I just live in the moment I guess, I'm not insanely suicidal at the moment but I do have shorter episodes of it. I'll just live until I can't do it anymore and that's fine; I don't need to stress because it won't matter either way.

• Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I find Nihilism to be comforting especially my time being apart of sasu, the ideas do comfort me if I were to ctb. I'm not particularly a full Nihilist, I try not to live any different despite my views because they don't really matter. I find it empowering in the sense I can do whatever I want and it won't matter either way.

I don't really have a plan for my life, I just do want I find interesting and when I find that boring I move on in an infinite cycle. I don't find meaning or purpose in long-term goals so I stick to short term ones. Right now it's technology, it's surprisingly a useful skill for the world we're headed towards but I doubt I'd ever use it.

I just live shallowly and try not to think too much except when I find the concept disturbing or anxiety-inducing. I just live in the moment I guess, I'm not insanely suicidal at the moment but I do have shorter episodes of it. I'll just live until I can't do it anymore and that's fine; I don't need to stress because it won't matter either way.

It's definitely this I think. Just shedding yourself of the pressure to comply or- to not be made to feel guilty when you don't. Plus yeah- I think it does also help with being more fluid about things. Seeing as everything matters less, it's maybe easier to let things wash over and take things as they come.

I think I'd prefer it if I'd found this mindset the happy-go-lucky route more. It's not quite so enjoyable when you feel relaxed because you're too unhappy to particularly care! Still, I think it beats being unhappy and uptight. Lol.

alonely

alonely

exists by being merely labeled
Jul 1, 2023
I work, hold nihilistic views, and find them both empowering and crushing

• Hugs
Daxter_87

Daxter_87

If my name is crossed out, hopefully I'm dead.
May 28, 2023
When I was a teenager, I discovered nihilism and pessimism through several books, videos and the likes. During that period, such schools of thought were the most fitting for me, as I was depressed and suicidal. Therefore, that's what I became – a nihilist and a pessimist.

Currently, I still "believe" in pessimism and existential nihilism, a subcategory of nihilism that denies the unbiasedness of any purpose. And I put "believe" in quotes because I don't consider it a belief, but rather a non-belief – in the meaning of life. Indeed, it's similar to the case of atheism – the non-belief in God.

On another note, I no longer hold moral nihilism, a type of nihilism that rejects the objectivity of all ethics and morality. Obviously, such an insane worldview can lead to wrongdoing of the worst kind; in fact, I'm sure that many criminals think this way. And who saved me from such psychopathy? I owe it all to antinatalism, efilism and especially to Inmendham, the legitimate founder of the latter philosophy.

• Love
Reactions: Astral Storm and Forever Sleep
H

H.O.Xan

Experienced
Feb 1, 2023
There's two types of nihilism. Active (empowering) passive (crushing). I'm an active nihilist. I don't work atm

• Hugs