N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
In my favorite philsophy show there was a female mathematican/physicist. Due to quantum physics she came to the conclusion free-will does not exist. She went to therapy because of that.

Now applied to me. I think there are extremely complicated questions or explanations I will never fully understand so I think I might stay out of that and remain uncertain. Maybe that is ignorance. But in the end I do not want that something like that influences my daily actions.

Determinism or soft-determinism (compatibilism) in the end it does not change the chores I have to do. And it won't change the fact that I will ctb. I am scared of fatalism so I am hesitant with determinism. In my opinion there is too much uncertainty for a final answer so I will choose the truth which influences my well-being in the best way.

And honestly whether I kill myself because of free-will or determinism it does not make a big difference for me. I feel forced to do it already due to bullying and abuse. These abstract philosophical or physical constructs do not really comfort me. And I have bigger fears or concerns than to ruminate about that.

• Hugs
Reactions: Kit1, LoiteringClouds, AllCatsAreGrey and 3 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
That's a really interesting question. I think it would go one of two ways for me. Either- I'd be so outraged at being a slave to destiny that it would make me want to CTB even more. (Although presumably- that would have been predestined too.) Or- I'd feel absolutely vindicated for doing as little as possible for the rest of my life because 1.) That was predestined too- right? And 2.) Why should I put in shit loads of effort if I'm destined to fail? Why should I play a game that's rigged from the start? Maybe it's been rigged to work in my favour but- do I really want to take that risk?

Personally- I think we do have free will to a larger extent. Yes- it's a crapshoot initially when it comes to genes, upbringing and environment but- choice and responsibility play a huge part. Not everyone who has criminal, deviant thoughts act on them. I hate the way the whole predestiny thing just seems to let people off doing terrible things. They have a brain. Yes, it may have been messed up but- I'd say most people know right from wrong and they make a choice. Unless I suppose they truly are psychotic but not that many criminals get off with that. Most seem to be declared competent.

I think it's just lazy and irresponsible to blame laziness and irresponsibility on fate! They are both ultimately decisions. We likely know the ideal thing to do in any given situation and we make a choice. Like now- I should be tidying up but- I'm on here- because I'm feeling lazy. I know what I should be doing but I choose not to. I don't think I was fated to make this choice- I did it because I wanted to.

Where does predestiny come from? God? But surely- God wants to test us. No point in having a heaven and a hell if there isn't right and wrong. But then- how can there be right and wrong if everything is predestined?

I'd want to know where they think this destiny stuff comes from and why? Why let the story play out if you already know the ending?

• Informative
Reactions: Kit1 and noname223
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
I think about a lot of things including free will often.

it makes me feel weird. Especially when it comes to our own identity. I feel like a puppet as a human and sometimes I have a fear when it comes to unknown. I was doomed to exist and I am a slave of my brain and body in general. What I still don't get is where does the awareness of these things comes from. Is it legit or just another projection from our robotic nature that serves a purpose.

All of my emotions and everything that I think I know or don't know feels like a fog in the end. But what can I do. I am nothing more than a human, I can only be what my body is. I accepted that, even if I have 0 free will.

I do feel that emotions make me more illogical tho compared to when I can think with less of them involved. But I am not saying I have control that way either. It just makes me more at peace and curious to scratch the surface on everything. One of the reasons I rarely feel at home anywhere. Even here. Because I can observe others just like myself and some things they do remind me of old self. When you question everything you are a drifter forever. You change shapes often.

Reactions: Kit1
ohyouknow

ohyouknow

Jun 11, 2022
I do not believe in free will, and I do not care. I still experience the illusion of free will. Whatever.

Reactions: Kit1 and AllCatsAreGrey
real person

real person

Experienced
Dec 11, 2023
In my favorite philsophy show there was a female mathematican/physicist. Due to quantum physics she came to the conclusion free-will does not exist. She went to therapy because of that.

Now applied to me. I think there are extremely complicated questions or explanations I will never fully understand so I think I might stay out of that and remain uncertain. Maybe that is ignorance. But in the end I do not want that something like that influences my daily actions.

Determinism or soft-determinism (compatibilism) in the end it does not change the chores I have to do. And it won't change the fact that I will ctb. I am scared of fatalism so I am hesitant with determinism. In my opinion there is too much uncertainty for a final answer so I will choose the truth which influences my well-being in the best way.

And honestly whether I kill myself because of free-will or determinism it does not make a big difference for me. I feel forced to do it already due to bullying and abuse. These abstract philosophical or physical constructs do not really comfort me. And I have bigger fears or concerns than to ruminate about that.
what was the show

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
My reaction: Hmm...that's interesting. Now do I want pizza or Indian?

• Yay!
Reactions: Fire
real person

real person

Experienced
Dec 11, 2023
Sternstunde Philosophie From Switzerland

although it's not like its a settled fact free will doesn't exist though lol but yeah a lot of scientists don't believe in free will (by a particular definition of free will)

K

Kit1

Enlightened
Oct 24, 2023
I think free will exists to a certain extent in some countries and some places. It is complex. Where I live (UK), I can do.most ofnwhat I would like to do. But I work with extremely vulnerable people where they don't always have the access to be able.to do what they want to do - even in what they want to eat, whether they have a roof over their heads etc. But we are in with a chance.

There are fellow human beings oppressed within families, communities, countries where free can never be entertained.

Maybe I am getting myself confused about what is being discussed. If I am, please ignore me