Then WHY am I forced into a world view that tells me I have to have

-a car
-money
-good looks
-a nice house
-a lot of friends
-romantic partner
-and I have to work

to be successful. Why force your standard onto me? Why only one life style what about the multitude of life styles ? This is why I want to CTB im
Tired of society forcing its standard into me

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: nan.noe, Undefined, Escape Artist and 9 others
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Thanks for the shout-out. Many people are not made for what this world is now, I am also one of them.

• Yay!
Reactions: Journeytoletgo, Undefined, death137 and 5 others
J

Journeytoletgo

Broken and hated 7-14 years long overdue
May 14, 2018
Thanks for the shout-out. Many people are not made for what this world is now, I am also one of them.
Me too. My life has been horrific, I haven't had a chance with my genetics/looks in this artificial system. If I am to be a social being I cannot survive without being social.

Reactions: Undefined
hahabye

hahabye

always say never
Sep 14, 2019
I think these standards have as much importance as you allow them to have. Can't you choose not to live by what society thinks is "cool"?

And yet, even though I don't care about those standards, I still can't figure out what my own standards or true desires are. If I could, maybe I wouldn't want to die.

Reactions: Celerity and puppet_nihilist
J

Journeytoletgo

May 14, 2018
I think these standards have as much importance as you allow them to have. Can't you choose not to live by what society thinks is "cool"?

And yet, even though I don't care about those standards, I still can't figure out what my own standards or true desires are. If I could, maybe I wouldn't want to die.

true however i know if I continue I'll be miserable with memories. I just don't want this anymore

• Hugs
Reactions: hahabye
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
I actually want all those things, except for the necessity of work. I don't want to live in a world where you die or suffer greatly if you don't work. Sadly, that's our world. I actually want to work but I'm not simply happy to do any kind of work.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're not saying you don't want these things per se, but you hate the expectation to achieve all of those things despite genes + environment restricting and determining exactly where you win and where you lose. That is a sentiment which really resonates with me. People go around judging the obese for example, assuming that they're not ripped models purely by their own ''''free'''' choice, completely ignorant to the environmental and genetic causes. There is no real freedom, you're on a track shaped entirely by the uncaring universe, and you might get very lucky, or very unlucky.

Reactions: Bauhaus, FuneralCry, Escape Artist and 2 others
BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit

Staring at the edge
Apr 28, 2021
Many people are not made for what this world is now, I am also one of them.
Most people are not adapted to this civilization. We evolved to live in tribes of about 100 people, with predetermined tasks whose purpose were always evident. We haven't had enough time to adapt as a species to the agricultural and industrial revolution and this man-made, artificial civilization.
The things that are needed to be considered successful in this world are simply not what we were designed to strive for. Why else would living be so hard for so many of us? I highly doubt that hunter gatherer societies had as many deaths of despair as we have today.

• Love
Reactions: demuic, FuneralCry, Fehler and 3 others
B

Beachedwhale

Mage
Mar 3, 2021
Most people are not adapted to this civilization. We evolved to live in tribes of about 100 people, with predetermined tasks whose purpose were always evident. We haven't had enough time to adapt as a species to the agricultural and industrial revolution and this man-made, artificial civilization.
The things that are needed to be considered successful in this world are simply not what we were designed to strive for. Why else would living be so hard for so many of us? I highly doubt that hunter gatherer societies had as many deaths of despair as we have today.
Nailed it!

• Love
Reactions: BottomlessPit
J

Journeytoletgo

May 14, 2018
I actually want all those things, except for the necessity of work. I don't want to live in a world where you die or suffer greatly if you don't work. Sadly, that's our world. I actually want to work but I'm not simply happy to do any kind of work.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're not saying you don't want these things per se, but you hate the expectation to achieve all of those things despite genes + environment restricting and determining exactly where you win and where you lose. That is a sentiment which really resonates with me. People go around judging the obese for example, assuming that they're not ripped models purely by their own ''''free'''' choice, completely ignorant to the environmental and genetic causes. There is no real freedom, you're on a track shaped entirely by the uncaring universe, and you might get very lucky, or very unlucky.

yup! No wonder why we are always stressed

B

Beachedwhale

Mage
Mar 3, 2021
@BottomlessPit yes, it has been shown that there is a negligible amount of suicides among modern hunter gatherers, even ones whose environments have been somewhat encroached upon by non hunter gatherers but with their lifestyles still intact. Suicide and mental illness tend to shoot up when they are forced to convert to our way of living due to the aforementioned encorachment

Last edited:
Reactions: BottomlessPit
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Exactly!
Due to the fact that we never asked to be born, we should have the right to get the hell out of this blue rock if we feel it's not for us.

Reactions: GreenTree and Beachedwhale
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
This life is forced. We are given the illusion of having control, but in reality we have none. We had no choice in being here, our existence comes from the selfish desire to procreate. We are denied a right to die and any attempts to leave are opposed. Society forces this standard on to us as it benefits the capitalist system. The fact is many people are simply not programmed in a way to thrive from the expectations of society due to factors out of their control. It can explain why there is so much suffering in this world.

• Love
Reactions: Beachedwhale, Sprite_Geist and Journeytoletgo
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
The OP has raised an interesting point.

We are told that there are certain things in reality which are out of our control, such as genes like you have mentioned, and that we must accept this and "just get on with it and stop moaning!" Yet we are also told that all of our failings are down to our own choices - which implies we do have control over life.

...How do you work that one out?

• Love
Reactions: demuic, FuneralCry, Undefined and 2 others
B

Beachedwhale

Mage
Mar 3, 2021
The OP has raised an interesting point.

We are told that there are certain things in reality which are out of our control, such as genes like you have mentioned, and that we must accept this and "just get on with it and stop moaning!" Yet we are also told that all of our failings are down to our own choices - which implies we do have control over life.

...How do you work that one out?
They usually cite the serenity prayer.