Majin K.

Majin K.

too weak for this world
Jan 9, 2020
If the only thing which awaits us after death is nonexistence then why do our lives matter anyways? Regardless of how long you have lived, nothing you have ever done will hold any meaning when you'll lose the capacity to remember and care about it. What does it matter if I die now or in 40 years? It will not change the end result.

Fellow atheists usually say that the concept of nonexistence after death makes life even more important and that we therefore must delay nonexistence as long as we possibly can, but I honestly don't understand that argument.

• Love
Reactions: Journeytoletgo, TheDevilsAngel, ImsooDone1N and 5 others
BooGirl

BooGirl

Warlock
Jan 10, 2020
You're right. That's why we have the right to do so whenever we please :)

• Love
Reactions: TheDevilsAngel, Majin K. and WhyIsLife56
FreedomInDeath

FreedomInDeath

Ready to leave
Jan 6, 2020
I agree. I also feel guilty existing and making waste. I recycle as much as I can etc. but cannot get past being a human waste machine.

Reactions: TheDevilsAngel and Majin K.
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
It's really cruel to have to live meaninglessly like this. People say things like "humanity is special", "we have to uncover the mysteries of the universe", even "life is a gift". That is just nonsense – facing the truth is hard. It can make people, like yours truly, even more depressed.

• Love
Reactions: TheDevilsAngel, Majin K., ImsooDone1N and 3 others
garcelle

garcelle

Oct 24, 2019
there really is no point, but if we say that openly we might get thrown into a psych ward

• Love
Reactions: TheDevilsAngel, Majin K., WhyIsLife56 and 3 others
FreedomInDeath

FreedomInDeath

Ready to leave
Jan 6, 2020
It's really cruel to have to live meaninglessly like this. People say things like "humanity is special", "we have to uncover the mysteries of the universe", even "life is a gift". That is just nonsense – facing the truth is hard. It can make people, like yours truly, even more depressed.

I agree. I tried the spirituality point of view until I realized it really is silly for a source energy to rely on humans for understanding, as it is always the same shit in different ways - perpetually.

Reactions: TheDevilsAngel, Majin K., BabyYoda and 1 other person
WhyIsLife56

WhyIsLife56

Antinatalism + Efilism ❤️
Nov 4, 2019
I'm glad that someone else understands this. ❤️
Life has no purpose. And reality doesn't care whether you have a purpose or not. All it cares about is killing you when the time comes. (or unless if you kill yourself first before nature does)

Reactions: Majin K.
CynicalHopelessness

CynicalHopelessness

Messenger of Silence
Jan 9, 2020
We exist in a heartless world, that just so happened to have low entropy at some point due to singularity fluctuations we don't understand, and is getting back to its original state, where existence itself is a meaningless term.

Then life emerged as a quite effective way to increase entropy. And stuff evolved from there, mostly at random, but genes were pressured to keep existing, until we arrived at a human. Our main difference vs. animals is some degree of self-awareness and intelligence high enough to make a language. So we can talk about our low-level animal survival machinery in some abstract sense that each of us understands, to a degree. Sadness and happiness, love and hate are just descriptions that we made up over time to express how our basic drivers work. Even our discussion about "meaning" is tied to that ability to detach from oneself and think about grander scheme of things.

Logically, no meaning can exist in a world I just described. It's just something we ponder about, because we suffer a lot. Suffering is a signal that something is wrong with what we do, but more complex structures - societies - developed to reduce suffering only for a select few individuals at the expense of others. Those others suffered more though, so they made up a temporary plug in an idea of an afterlife. Suffer, but be rewarded later.

It resonated nicely to the pain due to loss of a close person. I believe this was also vital to survival of genes, to make people in tribes care for each other, making tribe more resilient. The bonds are conveniently formed based on some genetic similarity and shared location. With afterlife, you would never lose people, since you'll join them on the other side. Oh, but don't be a bitch and go against those who suffer less than you, or you'll be sent to a fiery saucepan and won't see them.

So, the weights were tipped by all the added suffering, driving people to think about meaning, and needed to be counterbalanced. Afterlife was a crude idea, but it worked well enough to keep majority complicit. Of course, some would think that afterlife is meaningless without afterafterlife, and so on, but they were an exception, and as long as they didn't disturb the majority, they could be allowed to exist.

Anyway, the existence of an individual is driven to keep the weights in balance, in any way possible. That's it. There's nothing more to it.

But since we can think, we can notice patterns and changes, many of us here know that our personal weights won't budge anymore, stuck in a low position until there's no "I" anymore that can perceive them. That's one step until being suicidal, that's why I'm here. But if you let go of your own ones and try to imagine what other feels, you are tipping their weights down to suffering, even if a bit. That's why they resist suicide at all costs. They hope to be dead before you do. Or that at least they don't have to think about "why", as the umbrella answer is always "lots of suffering" they don't need on their plates.

I see "Nonexistence means life is important" is just an atheist way of co-opting that coping mechanism that was traditionally religion zone. Having a need in meaning is an indicator that your scales are dangerously tipped already. You either can go on with your day to day life without one, satisfied with a non-answer, or not.

Reactions: Majin K. and TheSoulless
Majin K.

Majin K.

too weak for this world
Jan 9, 2020
I simply don't see the point in continuing my struggle and suffering in this world when there's no reward at the end. To be "gifted" consciousness and self awareness only for it to be stripped from us is truly cruel. I also couldn't care less about the pain my death will inflict upon others, so you have the perfect recipe for a suicidal person. Oh and add a spice of PTSD and social anxiety while you're at it.

• Hugs
Reactions: CynicalHopelessness and TheSoulless