J

JayBot2005

Aug 23, 2020
wouldn't your consciousness continue the second after you pass out from your SN (or other method)?

If consciousness is just a configuration of atoms, the very same elements that constitute your current consciousness would exist somewhere else, maybe a billion years in the future in a different universe, but your subjectivity wouldn't be interrupted, so to you it would be no different than going to sleep and waking up.

My head hurts pondering these things but I actually find some comfort in that I will soon know what happens when we die.

Reactions: _Minsk, Zyntkalla, death137 and 3 others
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
If consciousness is just a configuration of atoms, the very same elements that constitute your current consciousness would exist somewhere else, maybe a billion years in the future in a different universe, but your subjectivity wouldn't be interrupted, so to you it would be no different than going to sleep and waking up.
Perhaps we've already gone to sleep forever in one universe and woken up in another... several times even.

Reactions: Zyntkalla and death137
theguineapigking

theguineapigking

Useless piece of trash
Dec 5, 2019
This philosophical thought process hurts my mind too! I've pondered similar things. Will we repeat our lives over and over(block universe theory)? Will we be reincarnated? Will the Mandela effect take place? Will there be a heaven or hell? An astral realm? Nothing? We may not even realize that we die, in your example. If we transition into a different life, we may not remember doing so. For all we know, maybe we've repeated our exact same life billions of times.( I know this is different than the multiverse theory)

The world could be a simulation of sorts as well. Just because the laws of physics here say that it would be nearly impossible due to the amount of computing power needed, doesn't mean it is. The laws of physics in the 'real' world may be way different. Perhaps a flash drive in that world is trillions of gigabytes worth in storage...(an example to prove my point).

The thing is that I've shut down. I was(and still am, definitely) absolutely terrified, so much so, that my brain just shut off. It's so anxiety inducing that I can't even think about it without triggering derealization and depersonalization.

Also, even if consciousness is constituted by a specific arrangement of atoms(although there's probably something on the quantum scale then, because I doubt simple atoms would be the only source of something so unique and complex..), it doesn't mean that your memories or personality would be the same, right? It depends on how consciousness really works. Your personality may be simply due to genetics and the way that your body is(health, looks, etc) as well as life experiences and memories. So without that, 'you' may not be the you as a whole(no memories and different personality due to a different body...)

It's nice to see another deep thinker out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: death137, Wayfaerer and Homecoming
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
Man, I really wished that I had given more thought to all of this stuff before my life got all fucked up in a hurry. I've always just assumed we died and then heat death of the universe and that was that. Eternal Recurrence is my worst nightmare. It's truly the most horrific fucked up thing I've ever heard of outside the realm of fiction.

Anyway, I made a general metaphysics thread in the OT in case you're interested.

• Hugs
Reactions: death137, JayBot2005, Homecoming and 1 other person
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
wouldn't your consciousness continue the second after you pass out from your SN (or other method)?

My head hurts pondering these things but I actually find some comfort in that I will soon know what happens when we die.
Total misunderstanding of the multiverse theory.
The theory basically says that all probabilities described in quantum theory are descriptions of actual outcomes, though not all of which happen in our universe.

Reactions: death137
H

Homecoming

Wizard
Aug 14, 2020
I have feelings that consciousness seems to be a kind of energy, it is not like a material energy and it does not obey material laws. What we think of as the laws of physics function only in this material universe, and this universe is just a small part of a much greater whole.

Each of us is a part of Consciousness, and more powerful than we can imagine. The "I" that is in your mind is eternal: you never began, and you never will end. Indeed, the very notions of "eternity" and of "beginning" and "ending" are, like "size," human ideas or constructs. Without objective time, they mean nothing.

Your "I" and my "I" are not separate. The concepts of "separate" and "the same" are human notions. It doesn't seem possible in human terms to express precisely how we are connected, but it is not wrong to say that we all are part of one great whole.

All matter is composed of Consciousness, so in some way, everything may be somewhat conscious. Your dog and cat surely, but also perhaps the trees, plants, and even the rocks in your backyard is part of consciousness.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and deleted
S

Singapope

Sep 3, 2020
Yeah this is a complete butchering of the many worlds theory. Even if it was true, it simply means there exist infinite (or near infinite) versions of yourself out there who represent the whole range of probability of the universal wavefunction. It is conceptually impossible for any interaction to happen between these different worlds. If you died here, you might be alive in a number of other universes but none of them would ever be conscious of this.

Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
Yeah this is a complete butchering of the many worlds theory. Even if it was true, it simply means there exist infinite (or near infinite) versions of yourself out there who represent the whole range of probability of the universal wavefunction. It is conceptually impossible for any interaction to happen between these different worlds. If you died here, you might be alive in a number of other universes but none of them would ever be conscious of this.

Man, death is a lot more complicated when you factor in quantum mechanics. Why can't we just die and stay dead ffs? I don't want to shift universes unless it's one of the good ones I'm in! Or are you supposing something like quantum immortality, which is also really horrifying but not as much as eternal return?

Nevermind, I see what you're saying. Our subjective experience does not cross over. So it would have no effect on our reality anyway practically speaking.

Last edited:
Reactions: death137
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
Oh my goodness, the utter misunderstanding of science here is laughable.
I cannot continue to contribute to this thread or I'll just get frustrated.

death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
I usually think about the aftermath. Is there nothing or something? If something then what kind? Is the something one or more than one? If its more than one then what is/are the criteria/s for one person to go to this direction and the others to another directions? Do our inner decide or do we asked and decide or is it radome or do higher thing decide? It can go on and on....

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993
S

Singapope

Sep 3, 2020
Man, death is a lot more complicated when you factor in quantum mechanics. Why can't we just die and stay dead ffs? I don't want to shift universes unless it's one of the good ones I'm in!

For what it's worth, the many worlds theory is not the only nor the most mainstream interpretation of quantum mechanics. At this stage, believing in it is an act of faith similar to believing in heaven or hell (though with more math backing it up). I don't see the use of worrying about it.

Reactions: Wayfaerer
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
Oh my goodness, the utter misunderstanding of science here is laughable.
I cannot continue to contribute to this thread or I'll just get frustrated.

Was it really necessary to verbalize (figuratively) that?
For what it's worth, the many worlds theory is not the only nor the most mainstream interpretation of quantum mechanics. At this stage, believing in it is an act of faith similar to believing in heaven or hell (though with more math backing it up). I don't see the use of worrying about it.

Yes, the Copenhagen interpretation is the most accepted one but I've heard the MWT is gaining ground. Anyway, if the Copengagen interpretation is correct that would necessarily mean that ER is impossible due to indeterminism? I root for that one. At least that's what I assume.

I hear these theories tossed around and then I hear that they are nothing more than abstract thought experiments that have no grounding in reality but then I see other people keep bringing them up as if they were literal... It is a bit confusing.

Last edited:
deleted

deleted

Wizard
Jul 31, 2020
thinking about it is fucking agonizing

• Aww..
Reactions: Homecoming and Wayfaerer