Student
Oct 27, 2020
would they respect my request?

Reactions: AQUA
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
No. But why do you think you are important enough for the media to report on? Media rarely reports on suicides unless they take place in a public manner that disrupts daily life. I know someone who actually CTB in public and was never reported in media.

Reactions: x~Sophia~x and Skathon
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
That is pretty bold to do to me. But Curious is right in that the media sadly seldom reports on suicide. It either has to be public or a popular person who had 'attributes' and 'good looks.' Note* I'm not attacking anyone who has those things and has committed CTB, I just think the world needs to report more suicides and actually try to DO something. Sorry.
I prefer CTB be left out of the media. The intimate details of the lives of ordinary, non exceptional private citizens should be ignored.

Reactions: LastFlowers, Skathon and Ender
wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
The media exists because of "the public's right to know," not because of "the individual's right to privacy." My advice is not to contact them for any reason, since all that's likely to accomplish is to get first responders rushing to your house. If you are found still alive, the media will report on all the drama, but will probably not use your name. If you are found deceased, they will still report on the heroic suicide rescue effort that started in their very own newsroom, and then they will identify you. (Dead people don't have privacy rights.).

The vast number of suicides are not reported on because they are considered boring, everyday occurrences. If you CTB in an ordinary enough way, no one will report on it.

Reactions: gtrfvr, rabbithole, Miss_Takes and 1 other person
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
I am curious about this as well.

In the US, HIPPA laws protect patient health information for 50 years after death. There are a few exceptions to this that I am aware of:
  • Insurance policies typically have clauses with respect to suicide, so a death certificate or information on cause of death may be released to them.

• Other official parties may obtain cause of death information, but this is likely provided in an anonymous format for analysis purposes.

• Medical professionals also have access to your health records and may disseminate this information to other health professionals; however, this is typically done "behind the scenes" as medical professionals are also bound by HIPPA laws and the only way they can legally release your health information is if you sign a waiver permitting them to do so
There may be other means that this information is released, but from what I know, this is not to the media through legal means.

One thing that concerns me, is that relatives are typically informed of cause of death regardless of HIPPA laws.

The most frequent reports of suicides that I have seen in the media are those of high-profile people who have killed themselves (eg, Robin Williams and Anthony Bourdain).

There have been other reports of non high-profile people who have killed themselves, but from what I have seen, these are reports approved by grieving relatives who want to erase any information regarding methods of ctb on the net. I am not sure if that might apply to you.

One option you might have is to create a will, and indicate your wishes with respect to any obituary or reports of your cause of death in the media? Ie, Include in your will that any public information published about your death is to include the following and then describe exactly what you want said (eg, xxx born to xxx died on xxxx and was survived by xxx).

In addition, make it very clear in your will that if the media or any other public forum publishes any information about the manner of your death aside from what you have indicate that you want reported, you consider this to be a violation of your rights and HIPPA laws and have instructed your lawyer to sue on your behalf for disregarding those rights, and to take it a step further, detail that any money won in such a suit would be included in your estate and is to be donated to xxxx. This just might prevent media from reporting anything about your death - although I am not sure about that.

I am not positive about any of this except that HIPPA laws do extend to 50 years after your death in the US. It might be worth asking a lawyer, without mentioning anything about suicide.

I too would be very interested to hear other's thoughts on this.

<3

Last edited:
Reactions: demuic
gtrfvr

gtrfvr

live and let live or die
Dec 4, 2020
The media exists because of "the public's right to know," not because of "the individual's right to privacy." My advice is not to contact them for any reason, since all that's likely to accomplish is to get first responders rushing to your house. If you are found still alive, the media will report on all the drama, but will probably not use your name. If you are found deceased, they will still report on the heroic suicide rescue effort that started in their very own newsroom, and then they will identify you. (Dead people don't have privacy rights.).

The vast number of suicides are not reported on because they are considered boring, everyday occurrences. If you CTB in an ordinary enough way, no one will report on it.
was once on a train that was stopped unexpectedly. they didn't even tell the passengers someone ctb on the tracks (happened to be able to see the body covered up then moved). unless one goes out with a flourish it'll never be known. family will usually lie about it too. life is for the living, let them say whatever gets them through the day.

Reactions: polarbear
A

autisticalex

Student
Oct 27, 2020
Seems like a lot of people get reported about suicide in my neighborhood but tbh it is always the young, good looking people whilst other suicides are ignored holy shit our superficial sick society. The news reports are usually "shock as popular young man found dead". What a load of shit, if you don't get enough Facebook likes people won't even cafe about you when you off yourself lol
I mean there are news reports of people killing themselves and links to this forum. For example I'm worried inquest found sick forum helped autistic man kill himself. Some clickbait lol fuck the media

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Weary Soul and demuic