SuicidalOrganism

SuicidalOrganism

Experienced
May 31, 2023
Would the majority of humanity press it? Do a lot of people like those you consider to be "normies" secretly have a slight wish to ctb and never point it out to anyone else but themselves and never act on it?

How do you believe it would turn out? How would things go like?

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Sweet Tart and The anhedonic one
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
I think it would interesting and that A LOT of people would press it the world would be an emptier place because not much good is happening in the world at the moment even for those with seemingly normal or happy lives

I feel like a lot of people would do so out of fear that the future will just stay the same or get worse I assume no one would want to constantly worry about when they will experience poverty, homelessness, war, or hatred, and death by the hands of another rather than natural causes or their own hands

I don't know

(edit: also I would like to think or believe the world being emptier would increase productivity and improvement but I doubt it)

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, loopdaloop, The anhedonic one and 1 other person
The anhedonic one

The anhedonic one

Dead inside
May 20, 2023
I think a lot of people in this world have suicidal thoughts due to the financial and social pressures of life.
You can see these people everywhere stuck in traffic jams on their way to work, or walking down the street.
They have that certain look of defeat on their faces, I recognise that look on my own face when I see myself in the mirror.
The vast majority of people are stuck in a job they hate, and tied to a parasitical mortgage. They are probably married to someone who makes life difficult and have kids that make life equally difficult.
I am sure if I was trapped in that kind of scenario then I would most definitely be unhappy. I would definitely think of " escaping ".
In fact, 3 males have committed suicide in a 5 mile radius of where I am in the past 6 months. By all accounts these people were " normal " and their deaths were totally unexpected. No history of mental illness etc. So I think that there are many others out there who are " normal " yet have a secret desire to put themselves out of their misery.

Last edited:
Reactions: MeltingBrain and Praestat_Mori
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
I would wait to witness the fallout of such an event.it would solve overpopulation and many other things. Affordable housing and jobs would be common. I'd stick around

Reactions: figure8 and Praestat_Mori
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I don't know really. Lots of people have families and feel obliged to stay for them. People are here on this forum with this same issue. That wouldn't change- even if it was suddenly made painless and easy.

That said- maybe the taboo around suicide would slowly start to lift. I'm sure a lot of people in chronic pain would do it and be supported in doing it. Sometimes I do wonder- like- if it were easier to talk about- WOULD it be possible to convince our friends and family members that it was what we really wanted. Not to feel sad or guilty (where applicable!) but to support us in our wishes.

I thought you were going to ask whether we would push a button that kills everyone or everything! That's harder. I personally wouldn't because I believe in the right of the individual to choose. Still- there are arguments as to why it would be the 'kindest' option. The mechanisms- both natural and manmade running this world do seem to be based on exploitation, predation and degradation and result in suffering. You've got to wonder if everything would be better off not existing! Plus- nothing would have to grieve the loss- we'd all die at once. Still- yeah- I couldn't fo it. I'm not so sure even the most die-hard Nihilist could.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I think that so many people would press it, probably most. Having that option to prevent all unnecessary suffering certainly would be so incredibly ideal, it would prevent so much torment as the reality is that we are all enduring futile existences, destined for nothing and nowhere but to decay.
I hate how such a thing doesn't exist as it would be such a relief, I certainly think it's always preferable to cease existing than to be trapped in this hellish and harmful reality, existence was a horrific mistake.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and loopdaloop
Sweet Tart

Sweet Tart

Arcanist
May 10, 2023
I'm not sure how to answer, and would LOVE to see this as the premise for a movie or other type of creative format. Incredibly interesting question.

• Love
Reactions: MeltingBrain
theslasher

theslasher

psychonaut
Jun 12, 2023
I think that if everyone had a button making it so easy, they would actually take a lot more risks in life. Then if it wouldn't go their way they'd press the button.

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
This is a great question and answering it is certainly not straightforward.

Among my family and wider circle of relatives I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one who'd press that button. Whether a majority of mankind would press this button or not is subject to so many different factors that have to be put in accout here. Maybe not many people are overwhelmingly happy with their lifes on the one handside but on the other handside it's not so bad for them either to just press the button to erase themselves.

delusionalgirl

delusionalgirl

I have my ticket. Awaiting my journey
Jun 17, 2023
I think a minimum of 5-10% would push it for various reasons. Hell even if I was planning to ctb I would just because curiosity would win out.

• Love
Reactions: SunnyDay_NoSunshine and MeltingBrain
MeltingBrain

MeltingBrain

Mage
May 29, 2023
Would the majority of humanity press it? Do a lot of people like those you consider to be "normies" secretly have a slight wish to ctb and never point it out to anyone else but themselves and never act on it?

I imagine, most "normies" life is cyclical but it averages out to less than CTB levels . Many normies would impulsively press the button during their downturn leading a high CTB rate.
I'm not sure how to answer, and would LOVE to see this as the premise for a movie or other type of creative format. Incredibly interesting question.
Yeah actually I would love a movie about this too .

Reactions: Sweet Tart
L

loopdaloop

-
Apr 16, 2023
difficult to fathom who would choose to continue going when it's that easy to stop existing, probably mostly people who believed they would be punished from religious reasons or who felt responsible for something/someone that was dependent on them

Reactions: 12_Years_Late
O

outatime_85

Warlock
May 17, 2022
I don't think a lot of people would press it right away.

When thinking about such a device.

One must keep in mind those who think things will get better or that they have found a way out of the hole they are in. (might not be likely to use it right away.)

Then there are the people on this rock who want to witness societies collapse and see the world burn. (would miss out on the massive world war.)

So with that in mind, I think those in the above camps would most likely view such a device the same way Yautja does: as a weapon of last resort to be used as a means to self-destruct only in the face of imminent defeat.

I might be off the mark with this thought.

Last edited:
SunnyDay_NoSunshine

SunnyDay_NoSunshine

Jun 11, 2023

I think 5% would press it immediately. maybe another 15% would in few years

Reactions: 12_Years_Late
Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
Pop goes the weasel
we'd all be gone at some point

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
if every living thing had a inbuilt way to cease functioning nothing would be alive here it would set of a mass exodus

Reactions: MagicianKing
M

Mocon33

Dec 15, 2021
Perhaps a few percent would press the button. That's quite a lot considering that globally 1.3% of deaths are attributed to suicide. A greater percentage would be comforted just by having the button.

12_Years_Late

12_Years_Late

“May it please you.” — Ben Pollack
Jun 19, 2023
At this point, I would press such a button immediately.

WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
Happy people would still be around, and miserable people wouldn't be taking up space living lives they hate.

T

Twntysix

ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
Aug 26, 2021
Yoo give me that buttons puhleeeseee 😅
go do it GIF

Another scary scenario : there are powerful ppl who collect all those button to held other ppl hostage 👀 idk goes both way i guess? like prevent ppl go/ "press" or threatening to press that button in order to get what they want. Does that makes sense lmao sorry i'm rambling here