W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
I feel like death wouldn't be viewed as such a negative thing, because people would see instances of very peaceful deaths rather than accidental causes or someone dying after protracted suffering. I think part of why people have a phobia of it is because of the negative circumstances that usually surround it. I also sometimes wonder why people view longevity as so important, when in the grand scheme of things, having potentially long life expectancy is quite a recent development for mankind.

What other reasons do you think cause society to portray death so negatively? We're encouraged to live in denial that it'll ever happen to us.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Superfluous
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I think from the beginning of mankind, it has also been a challenge to survive, given the harsh conditions, where death is always around the corner, the human species as a whole find ways to overcome dangerous situations. Thus, in turn, the survival instinct grows and humans evolve to fear things that cause 'death.' Also, over time throughout history, up until modern times, death was rather prevalent due to poor understanding of healthcare or lack of advances in medicine at those times, which resulted in a lot of deaths. Maybe death was so common in the early times that people die without even intending to die by their own hands (suicide). Then as technology progressed, medicine advanced, and the world became modern (which is what we live in nowadays), people are living longer, things are safer, and most natural predators and things that used to kill us are no longer a main threat. However, due to the evolution of the human survival instinct and societal programming that death is always bad, it has persisted even to present day.

I am an atheist and believe in evolution so this is the explanation that makes most logical sense to me.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, CornerE and 1 other person
W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
I'm agnostic, I also believe in evolution. It's all a bit of a mystery.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Jc40