aubrey!

aubrey!

internet angel
Mar 11, 2023
something i thought about a while ago is how normal people will often idolise mentally ill people, but when they succumb to their illness and do bad things people mock them. and when they die, people make memes about it.

i find it weird.

i feel like i'm in the position right now where the people would celebrate my death.
all because i did something bad succumbing to what someone wanted out of me.
my friends dont want to be my friends anymore.
im scared to tell the friends i dont know, and its really stressing me out.

it feels like me vs everyone else and i can't take it

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep, EternalShore and GuessWhosBack
GuessWhosBack

GuessWhosBack

The sun rises to insult me.
Jul 15, 2024
normal people will often idolise mentally ill people
Could you give examples? I certainly think people romanticise mental illness for disturbing reasons. But I don't know if it's idolisation really.

aubrey!

aubrey!

internet angel
Mar 11, 2023
Could you give examples? I certainly think people romanticise mental illness for disturbing reasons. But I don't know if it's idolisation really.
it's people who weren't idolised necessarily for their mental illness, but i feel like because people knew they were struggling they were held closer to people's interest.

twomad comes to mind. he was a funny guy, but during the pandemic things got bad and nobody who knew him irl wanted to help and just scrutinize him and his behaviours became more erratic and deranged as he went deeper into drugs. people loved him, then people memed his death. he died young, 23. it's tragic, really.

• Hugs
Reactions: GuessWhosBack
Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

"Life's a mirror, but 'whose' mirror?"
Mar 23, 2023
Perhaps it's for art's sake, or someone's imagination admires weird and dark things.

-Link-

-Link-

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
it's people who weren't idolised necessarily for their mental illness, but i feel like because people knew they were struggling they were held closer to people's interest.

twomad comes to mind. he was a funny guy, but during the pandemic things got bad and nobody who knew him irl wanted to help and just scrutinize him and his behaviours became more erratic and deranged as he went deeper into drugs. people loved him, then people memed his death. he died young, 23. it's tragic, really.
So this is about idolizing people who happen to be mentally ill rather than idolizing somebody because they're mentally ill. And then people hypocritically celebrating or making fun of their death.

The people who would do this are literally not worth a second thought. They are horrible, horrible people. There's nothing else to it. Push them out of your mind. Don't engage with them. Don't engage any writing or social media content of theirs. They don't deserve your mental energy.

i feel like i'm in the position right now where the people would celebrate my death.
all because i did something bad succumbing to what someone wanted out of me.
What's happened in your life that makes you think people would celebrate your death?

aubrey!

aubrey!

internet angel
Mar 11, 2023
What's happened in your life that makes you think people would celebrate your death?
it's not something i wish to discuss in detail, but someone used tactics of manipulation to get what they wanted out of me, wiped their messages, and went on to post mine without any context.

this can happen to anyone, but they specifically took hold of my issues with attachment and needing to feel validated.

they know what they are doing. and are getting away with it.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
What? First off, the issue you are proposing seems to have more to do with people idolizing those who happen to be mentally ill, rather than it to having to due to with people idiolizing others because they are mentally ill. That makes the title is a bit misleading.

Secondly, the example you used doesn't really work. Maybe I am reading it wrong, but the issue here is that people who knew him in real life didn't bother to get him the help he needed and instead treated him with scrutiny. The example doesn't seem to have anything to do with others idolizing him, it seems to have more to do with how people in his life treated him. Along with that, you are talking about somebody who got famous online. Most of the people making memes about him likely aren't the same people who were idolizing him. Most of them are likely trolls and edgy middle schoolers.

aubrey!

aubrey!

internet angel
Mar 11, 2023
What? First off, the issue you are proposing seems to have more to do with people idolizing those who happen to be mentally ill, rather than it to having to due to with people idiolizing others because they are mentally ill. That makes the title is a bit misleading.

Secondly, the example you used doesn't really work. Maybe I am reading it wrong, but the issue here is that people who knew him in real life didn't bother to get him the help he needed and instead treated him with scrutiny. The example doesn't seem to have anything to do with others idolizing him, it seems to have more to do with how people in his life treated him. Along with that, you are talking about somebody who got famous online. Most of the people making memes about him likely aren't the same people who were idolizing him. Most of them are likely trolls and edgy middle schoolers.
thats cool but i didn't come here to have my interpretation judged. i simply wrote it down how my mind understood it. that's fine though, i don't know you so i won't let it bother me.

obviously if he had friends irl at one point, those people liked him, and then they left him in the dust. some who knew him, saying terrible things about him.

you'd be surprised at how many people mock bad guys dying.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
obviously if he had friends irl at one point, those people liked him, and then they left him in the dust. some who knew him, saying terrible things about him.
Having friends is not the same as having people idolize you.

-Link-

-Link-

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
it's not something i wish to discuss in detail, but someone used tactics of manipulation to get what they wanted out of me, wiped their messages, and went on to post mine without any context.

this can happen to anyone, but they specifically took hold of my issues with attachment and needing to feel validated.

they know what they are doing. and are getting away with it.
You stick to your story and hold your head up high as you do so. If anyone calls you on what happened, that's all you need to retort with: Your messages were shared without context. There are two sides to every story, and there is a lot more to your side that doesn't come across in what was shared.

The average person just goes with whichever way the wind is blowing. If the popular thing to do right now is to go against you, then yeah, maybe people will be inclined to speak out against you. But that doesn't necessarily coincide with what they're actually thinking. You may have more allies than you think, even among those who have voiced something against you.

Of course, without knowing the details, I'm only looking at this in a general sense. But consider how many objectively awful people there are in the world and consider that those objectively awful people still have friends and other allies. Surely you wouldn't consider yourself an "objectively awful person"? You must be better than that, so if those horrible people are capable of having friends and allies, then I think it's safe to believe you can too despite whatever might have happened here.

• Love
Reactions: aubrey!