N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I try to be more critical of the media. But when I watch intellectualls they are on a completely different level.

In German media I read one centrist leftwing media outlet and one right-wing contrarian Swiss newspaper. When I mentioned the NZZ (the name of the outlet) many college students insult the newspaper and its readers. Which is sort of funny because I read it. A girl at a party just insulted the readers and a friend of mine could not hold back to laugh because a few days later I sent him an article I really liked.

I also read German yellow press sometimes. The most powerful newspaper (Bild) in Germany. I disagree with most things that is writen in the NZZ or BIld. But I want to know their narratives and maybe I can widen my spectrum.

I want to know the arguments of my enemies to understand and reach them. Or maybe I can learn something.

I neglected too much scientifical articles. They are way more nuanced. But I need to learn more about the biases of science. At the same time I worship science too much.

It is difficult to keep up with German and US politics at the same time.

Reactions: avoid
avoid

avoid

⦿ ⦿
Jul 31, 2023
When I watch intellectuals they are on a completely different level.
I think you're placing the bar too high for yourself. You're comparing yourself with intellectuals whom, I presume, make a living by speaking on complex topics at events recorded for broadcast. Self-awareness has its benefits, but comparing yourself to the best may lower your self-esteem.

I want to know the arguments of my enemies to understand and reach them. Or maybe I can learn something.
Reading this doesn't remind me of sheep behavior at all. If anything, it shows that you're open-minded, and look at the ideas rather than the person who speaks on them. I wish more people would consider different views for what they are rather than outright dismiss them for the person who speaks on them.

I need to learn more about the biases of science.
Could you elaborate?

• Love
Reactions: noname223
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think you're placing the bar too high for yourself. You're comparing yourself with intellectuals whom, I presume, make a living by speaking on complex topics at events recorded for broadcast. Self-awareness has its benefits, but comparing yourself to the best may lower your self-esteem.

Reading this doesn't remind me of sheep behavior at all. If anything, it shows that you're open-minded, and look at the ideas rather than the person who speaks on them. I wish more people would consider different views for what they are rather than outright dismiss them for the person who speaks on them.

Could you elaborate?
Biases of science. For example the pros and cons of peer review, economization of science -> the goal is not to get new knowledge rather than to make a lot of money with and through new projects/also in which way new projects are founded, the way different forms of ethics prevent or contribute to gain more knowledge, science communication and how it is done in popular media

Reactions: avoid
Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
I agree. Understanding the opposition and putting yourself in their shoes, to the point where you can say you understand and even emphasize with the reasons they think the way they do, is not a sheep behavior, it helps you have a better idea of your own position and the world it exists in.

Sheep are people who claim the other side is fundamentally a lost cause. That the other side is simply dumb or can't be understood. Sheep tend to be evenly distributed and chalk up all media outside of their spot on the spectrum to be blatant lies or propaganda. They never budge politically.

If there are places where 80% of the people support a party that only has %20 support somewhere else, there is probably something fundamentally different about their experiences that lead to them thinking that way.