S

Stinger4771

It's never too late. Unless you’re dead.
Jul 26, 2023
I have no hope of making a positive change in the world. I can't even imagine what a better world will look like. I constantly get annoyed by things, but realise I have no idea what the solution is, or if there is a cure better than the disease.

I have nothing to live for. I have no community of like minded people. I have no need to labour for my survival. I'm sorry for people genuinely struggling, but I have such a safety net that I run no risk of starving if I just decided to perpetually lay in bed and pretend that I don't exist. So what's the fucking point?

Where is progress getting us?

Reactions: Celerity, movinout17, sserafim and 2 others
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
As a fellow atheist, I feel the same way. This is why I think Sam Harris has looked to the meditative practices of Buddhism to help fill the gap. However, without the fantasy elements of religion, I'm not sure his stripped-down spiritualism is enough. Most people, at the end of the day, would like to believe that their lives have meaning, that heaven awaits, and that an all-powerful being of light and love guides everything. It's a much nicer dream than the cold, unforgiving universe in which we live.

Rapière

Rapière

On the brink
Jul 7, 2022
I can be your god. But only if you ask nicely.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: 𝗟𝗼𝗻𝗲𝗹𝘆
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
Lack of trust in other people increases the need for religion.

Reactions: 𝗟𝗼𝗻𝗲𝗹𝘆
spirol

spirol

Dec 19, 2022
there's no progress, humans have done the exact opposite of progress. the earth is a resource and humans have destroyed it, like ants on carrion. most societies measure achievements based on how much they help humanity prosper and advance - but helping humanity prosper seems perverse, when you consider that the best way of predicting future behavior (of humans) is to look at past behavior.

Reactions: Celerity
hanz

hanz

Nov 14, 2023
I relate, I don't think a lack of belief has to be depressing thing but it certainly can be for me. But then again I feel like with my mentally ill mind I'd make believing in God a negative experience too. Some people genuinely live in fear of going to hell and feel shame about every little thing they do. At least I'm free from that.

Reactions: Celerity