Install-Gentoo

Install-Gentoo

Aug 23, 2022
In the movies they always talk about selling your soul to the devil or doing horrible acts to appease some deity, and getting wishes in return. Why can't that be a real thing? I would certainly love to trade aspects of my life in order to, well, have a reason to live. I would gladly give up my mathematics skills, my engineering knowledge, my physical fitness, my lack of allergies, my good vision (maybe?), and even the lives of some family members and friends, all so I could be able to do the things I want to do. So I could go back and edit parts of my life.

• Love
Reactions: Wilting Daisy and Sick of it all
Wilting Daisy

Wilting Daisy

Loves Me, Loves Me Not
Aug 15, 2022
I've said this to myself too. My most frequent thought is: "I think I would trade all of my mental illness for cancer, given the option. That way I would be clear-headed, be able to take positive, consistent action and my loved ones would see me as a hero and a fighter before I died, compared to how they see me now: weak, playing the victim..."

• Aww..
Reactions: veryhappyhuman
Install-Gentoo

Install-Gentoo

Aug 23, 2022
I've said this to myself too. My most frequent thought is: "I think I would trade all of my mental illness for cancer, given the option. That way I would be clear-headed, be able to take positive, consistent action and my loved ones would see me as a hero and a fighter before I died, compared to how they see me now: weak, playing the victim..."
That's a really interesting perspective. I'm sorry to hear that, of course, but I think you have a good way of putting it. You're going to die either way, but it's so stupid that people think less of you for dying one way or another. Everybody dies.
I personally wouldn't prefer the hypothetical trade you put forth, but it certainly could be preferable to some.

I hope I'm not considered an evil person for thinking of this kind of thing. Especially with the "trading some of my family/friend's lives in exchange for a better life for myself". That does seem very selfish, but it'd be more like as if that person never existed in the first place.

• Love
Reactions: Wilting Daisy