A

aloneinwinter

Dec 15, 2022
Hello everyone, thanks in advance for reading my mess here.

I've lurked this place on and off since it existed on reddit. I'm in my 30s now, but I've wanted to die since my mom introduced the idea into my head at a very young age around 7. For a while when things SEEMED to be going well in my mid 20s, I didn't think about it hardly at all. But in the past few years, just about every person I knew and thought cared about me showed otherwise OR I interpreted it otherwise and those relationships are done. I also made mistakes myself that rightfully contributed to ending at least 1 or 2 friendships, but mainly, men have abused me/I've allowed them to and I am unable to have balanced friendships. Funny enough, when I wanted to die in my teens and 20s, it was because I hated myself, but in more recent times it became because I dislike humans in general and think as far as they go I'm actually not that bad. That means though that I started calling people out in their wrongs, and no one likes that person, so here I am.

Recently even with things fallen completely apart, I didn't want to die quite yet, so I decided to leave a newly dangerous situation that had been fine for years though slowly degrading. I wanted to give my cat and dog another chance. I raised them both since they were babies for many years now. So I tried to find housing that would work, in a new area, and start over fresh... and of course ended up sexually harassed by the one new roommate I needed to trust. I can't feel safe here now despite the person telling me to stay, and I just got here a week ago. Every time I get retraumatized like this, I lash out in anger and it really makes people hate me.

I'm moving out tomorrow into my car with my animals. I've now had to list my dog for adoption when I wasn't ready, and I regret not taking more time to do so before (ironically) getting kicked out for calling out animal abuse combo with a hoarding situation with my ex and his family. I'm scared no one will take my dog because she barks so much and can be scary, but luckily she is a more-popular breed, so maybe that will help?

I've been making stupid emotional decisions like trauma dumping to basically acquaintances and it's like I can't stop now, and it's actually starting to mess up the few people I have a little bit of emotional/item storage support from. I've done so much therapy and nothing has worked. So many dozens of medications. I am willing to try again, but right now, I'm literally going to be sleeping in the forest in winter with my 2 animals tomorrow. I have never been homeless/stayed in my car for more than just a few nights. I'm not worried about myself at all, but my animals. I have to find them a home before I run out of money, and unfortunately, it's the worst time ever to find new homes for animals.

Man, there is so much I want to say on this forum, but I can't believe it came to where this is what I need to write about. I guess I could use some words of encouragement or something. I've been reading tons of advice on living out of my car but I know I'm still not ready for it.

Going to post in some other threads to up my post count while I wait for replies to this.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: ryo the frog, Lostandlooking, nil243 and 7 others
T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
It sounds like you have some gumption to tackle tough problems. You might consider contacting some churches to see if they know of any elderly loooking for a roommate. Social workers might know of someone but would be reluctant to get involved if they don't know you. Pharmacies and some volunteer groups might also know of someone.

Reactions: Uber and aloneinwinter
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
What a horrible situation to be in. If I had any advice to give, you would have it. I would be completely overwhelmed in your shoes. I am so sorry you don't have anyone to rely upon. We all need someone to look out for us, and all you have had are the abusive and disloyal.

If you are a woman, I wonder if you would qualify for a women's shelter. Some municipalities are starting to offer shelters for men who have faced domestic and sexual abuse as well, but they seem to be much rarer.

Reactions: aloneinwinter
A

aloneinwinter

Dec 15, 2022
Thank you guys for replying! The support means a lot. I feel SO MUCH SAFER now in my car with my dog in the middle of nowhere - feels crazy to say that but it's true! My few friends have been so absolutely supportive and are helping me survive by storing items, giving dog food, etc. And after a vague Facebook post some I reconnected with some good people who reached out. Sadly, I had to leave my cat with the harasser because after weighing out all options, it was the absolute best option given the situation. That was hard. One of my trustworthy friends offered to house me until back on my feet, but, it's across the country so it would be costly and I know no one there and nothing about that place, so I think I will stay closer to my support system for now.

I wanna write more sometime but gotta go for now.

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34, Celerity and Uber
Uber

Uber

Jan 14, 2023
Good morning Winter,

In case you're not aware, lots of people are choosing to move into their vehicles even with their canine friends.

There is one YouTube channel in particular I am reminded of. For a couple of years Nikki lived out of a Toyota Prius and even adopted a dog that she found while she was hiking.

Living in a Prius. <--Link here

I think she has since moved into a van probably because of all the money she made on YouTube sharing her adventures.

I'm involved in a number of vehicle camping groups. There are lots of ways to meet your needs even in such a scenario. For example, I use my engine heat to create a hot water shower! There are all sorts of things you can do.

My hope in sharing this is that you might embrace it as an adventure and see where it leads. Let me know how I can help! BTW, you are my first post. I had been lurking, but really wanted to share this with you.

Reactions: aloneinwinter
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Thank you guys for replying! The support means a lot. I feel SO MUCH SAFER now in my car with my dog in the middle of nowhere - feels crazy to say that but it's true! My few friends have been so absolutely supportive and are helping me survive by storing items, giving dog food, etc. And after a vague Facebook post some I reconnected with some good people who reached out. Sadly, I had to leave my cat with the harasser because after weighing out all options, it was the absolute best option given the situation. That was hard. One of my trustworthy friends offered to house me until back on my feet, but, it's across the country so it would be costly and I know no one there and nothing about that place, so I think I will stay closer to my support system for now.

I wanna write more sometime but gotta go for now.
That's wonderful news! I'm so happy for you. Awesome that these folks stood up.

Reactions: Uber