T

Toptock

Experienced
Jun 6, 2020
At my work I have a fairly high responsibility role, its one of those "tons of free time but things can go wrong quick" jobs. Easy pay but depressing and lonely.

I was offered a "promotion" after giving 6 years for no raise or reward, by now I don't want anything but to ctb, so the idea of taking it doesn't at all appeal to me. Its 50 cents more and a lot more responsibility that I'm not interested in. Tbh it's a lateral move but I'm the only realist here...

Anyway, they offered it to me and i declined, primarily because my new supervisor in that role is a damn jerk. I am comfortable here and it shows, a new guy said I should accept the role due to my experience and practical knowledge. I told him I couldn't accept it due to circumstances at home demanding I keep my same schedule.

My problem is, I had to explain this decision to both my bosses and defend my reasoning. I couldn't tell them that i was planning on ctb so i didn't see any point to doing it, so i just said "I dont see myself in that role."

Am I an ass for turning it down? I'm aware that even small changes can lead to a positive outcome, but I'm of the mindset that says "I'm not playing on staying here much longer, so it wouldnt make sense to put myself in a potentially stressful situation if i can avoid it."

Is this illogical?

• Hugs
Reactions: Noodlebug, not4us, demuic and 6 others
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
Tbh I think you made a good decision. Change like that creates stress anyway, even if it's positive stress... and I wouldn't want more responsiblities with an asshole for a boss. That would just make me feel even worse. And all for a 50 cent raise? Nah.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, demuic, GoodPersonEffed and 4 others
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
It doesn't sound like the move would have improved your life any. Even the minimal raise doesn't seem worth it. Your happiness is most important. It sounds like you made the right decision.

And it's not weird. People turn down promotions all the time and for a variety of reasons. Nothing to be concerned about. Congrats, though, on being recognized for your good work!

• Love
Reactions: demuic, GoodPersonEffed, puppy9 and 3 others
R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
50 cent raise? I would've told them to eat shit. That's a slap in the face.

• Love
Reactions: Noodlebug, demuic, GoodPersonEffed and 7 others
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
50 cents is bs.
for that much additional responsibilities it's not really worth it.

Putting aside the idea of ctb or not, I would have preferred the current role either way.
I reckon you made the right decision. If you think about it, the new supervisor is an ass, it'll just make u unhappy and stressed.
That's no good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, demuic, puppy9 and 2 others
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
50 cents WTF that ain't a raise!!! its a fucking piss take.do you not get yearly rises anyway?

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, puppy9, LonelyNick and 1 other person
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
50 cents WTF that ain't a raise!!! its a fucking piss take.do you not get yearly rises anyway?

Im assuming not every company has those perks......

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and checkouttime
T

Toptock

Experienced
Jun 6, 2020
No, the excuse is since our parent company is a contracting agency they determine where raises go, and they don't handle raises. In the 6 years I've been with this company I haven't even heard of a manager getting a raise. It's always being thrown around as a potential benefit though.

Reactions: KleinerWolf
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
A lot of companies are cheap as hell. Last year I got a 15 cent raise, this year I got a 39 cent raise. When I worked at McDonald's as a teen, minimum wage kept going up but we never kept our meager raises - so we were constantly being paid minimum wage despite getting one or two raises a year.

It's all bullshit anymore

• Love
  • Hmph!
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed, puppy9, checkouttime and 2 others
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
No, the excuse is since our parent company is a contracting agency they determine where raises go, and they don't handle raises. In the 6 years I've been with this company I haven't even heard of a manager getting a raise. It's always being thrown around as a potential benefit though.

man, i'm not going to ask what you earn, and i know this shit can make a difference to people. but that seems like slave labour sort of pay rises. i would of expected a couple of dollars maybe $1.50

It's hard i used to earn alot (by the way i earn fuck all now) and so i don't know if it might make a difference to you personally.

it really fucks me off though, like they expect more work from you for 50cnts. no fukin wonder i set up my own business ,i remember why now.

man your worth more than that, thats just an insult, the cheek to offer a rise like that. disgusting!

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, puppy9, BitterlyAlive and 1 other person
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
A lot of companies are cheap as hell. Last year I got a 15 cent raise, this year I got a 39 cent raise. When I worked at McDonald's as a teen, minimum wage kept going up but we never kept our meager raises - so we were constantly being paid minimum wage despite getting one or two raises a year.

It's all bullshit anymore

Let's hope everyone end up in a good company somehow,
or starting own business oneday.

Working for shitty corporations truly does suck.

• Hugs
  • Love
Shades of Grey

Shades of Grey

Student
Jun 17, 2020
No, you're not an ass.

You have the right to look out for your own interests, and are under no obligation to accept a position that will bring you increased stress with little reward.

Or any position. Period.

Good on you for doing what was best for you.

Reactions: puppy9, BitterlyAlive and KleinerWolf
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
man, i'm not going to ask what you earn, and i know this shit can make a difference to people. but that seems like slave labour sort of pay rises. i would of expected a couple of dollars maybe $1.50

It's hard i used to earn alot (by the way i earn fuck all now) and so i don't know if it might make a difference to you personally.

it really fucks me off though, like they expect more work from you for 50cnts. no fukin wonder i set up my own business ,i remember why now.

man your worth more than that, thats just an insult, the cheek to offer a rise like that. disgusting!
good man.
work for yourself,
way to go!

• Hugs
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
so guys, i remember i got qualified and got my own business etc. the job centre used to advertise jobs on £10 hour. this was for people with their own tools,van etc. probably end of a week, you would come out with £320. now to some people that might be alot of money, this is where the bastards get you. i would noway work for it i used to earn £500 a week working for someone, it was down to principle. I lived at home though

i then went onto earning £300-£500 a DAY sorry im not bragging, like i said i have fuck all now, i don't even work.

the problem is these twats, know someone will need to take the job.....grrrrrr it really annoys me. treating people like dirt, taking advantage. man i would of loved to smash that guy in the gob with a fist full of 50 cnts, see how he likes that :devil: .
good man.
work for yourself,
way to go!

hey you can all do it, its totally possible.i bummed about when i was younger, didn't know what i wanted to do. i went to college and was 25 when i got qualified. by the time i was 36 i had a supercar, my own home earning £ 70,000-£100,000 year. It wasn't down to looks or whatever them people say. it was down to hard work, learning listening and wanting to be the best at what i did.

you dont have to believe me, i'm probably giving too much info out. i don't care though i just want you to know things are possible, you just need to work at it. if thats what you want. you guys do whatever you want, i just want you to know you can all do it,I IF thats what you want( which is upto you)

sorry for the rant peeps!! just i hate poeple trying to take advantage/use others!!!

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: puppy9, Ghost2211, KleinerWolf and 1 other person
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Oh boy .50 more and more responsibility.... Amazing they made you justify not wanting that bs. Seems like the wiser and less stress choice even if you didn't intend to ctb.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, puppy9 and KleinerWolf
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
so guys, i remember i got qualified and got my own business etc. the job centre used to advertise jobs on £10 hour. this was for people with their own tools,van etc. probably end of a week, you would come out with £320. now to some people that might be alot of money, this is where the bastards get you. i would noway work for it i used to earn £500 a week working for someone, it was down to principle. I lived at home though

i then went onto earning £300-£500 a DAY sorry im not bragging, like i said i have fuck all now, i don't even work.

the problem is these twats, know someone will need to take the job.....grrrrrr it really annoys me. treating people like dirt, taking advantage. man i would of loved to smash that guy in the gob with a fist full of 50 cnts, see how he likes that :devil: .

hey you can all do it, its totally possible.i bummed about when i was younger, didn't know what i wanted to do. i went to college and was 25 when i got qualified. by the time i was 36 i had a supercar, my own home earning £ 70,000-£100,000 year. It wasn't down to looks or whatever them people say. it was down to hard work, learning listening and wanting to be the best at what i did.

you dont have to believe me, i'm probably giving too much info out. i don't care though i just want you to know things are possible, you just need to work at it. if thats what you want. you guys do whatever you want, i just want you to know you can all do it,I IF thats what you want( which is upto you)

Thanks dude.
I'm sure thats inspirational to many people here on SS including myself.
Thank you for the wisdom and for being real.
:hug::heart:

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, puppy9, checkouttime and 1 other person
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
Thanks dude.
I'm sure thats inspirational to many people here on SS including myself.
Thank you for the wisdom and for being real.

your welcome

people might say i'm lying, not believe me. thats fine. but i tell you what i'm not, i could quite easily show proof about things i had/have. I'm not quite that stupid though lol. I don't have a need to lie to you all, don't need attention. what i would like to do, is maybe help some people, possibly stop people getting treated like shit.
I don't live in a massive mansion, my house could of been beautiful if i din't waste money on crap! but i lived a very comfortable life. and yes i will say i was enjoying life and was happy. i did not have a clue what i wanted to do, but when i did i hit college, passed and went out into the world to earn. I won't lie when i was qualified i struggled to find work, it used to piss me right off,. i knew how good i was ,i stayed at college for longer so i was more qualified.yet still no 1 would accept me. In the ned i worked for some one then went it alone. i never advertised for business.i was well known for my work(thats the best advertisement you can have). I had people in the business for years asking me regulations and rules etc, i put everything into it, and got alot out. its down to hard work.

I just want you guys to know what you can achieve, if i can inspire you then i would love that, but i'm also not trying to make you do something you dont want. its upto you totally, but thats my story.

If you knew me, i was a bum didnt work for years(like now!! except now i want to CTB) i had fuck all, noway anyone thought i would do anything with my life, i'm pretty sure family also. part of me did it to prove them wrong, i'm stubborn like that!!!

just dont do the end part and fuck it all up like me!!!

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, puppy9 and KleinerWolf
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
your welcome

people might say i'm lying, not believe me. thats fine. but i tell you what i'm not, i could quite easily show proof about things i had/have. I'm not quite that stupid though lol. I don't have a need to lie to you all, don't need attention. what i would like to do, is maybe help some people, possibly stop people getting treated like shit.
I don't live in a massive mansion, my house could of been beautiful if i din't waste money on crap! but i lived a very comfortable life. and yes i will say i was enjoying life and was happy. i did not have a clue what i wanted to do, but when i did i hit college, passed and went out into the world to earn. I won't lie when i was qualified i struggled to find work, it used to piss me right off,. i knew how good i was ,i stayed at college for longer so i was more qualified.yet still no 1 would accept me. In the ned i worked for some one then went it alone. i never advertised for business.i was well known for my work(thats the best advertisement you can have). I had people in the business for years asking me regulations and rules etc, i put everything into it, and got alot out. its down to hard work.

I just want you guys to know what you can achieve, if i can inspire you then i would love that, but i'm also not trying to make you do something you dont want. its upto you totally, but thats my story.

If you knew me, i was a bum didnt work for years(like now!! except now i want to CTB) i had fuck all, noway anyone thought i would do anything with my life, i'm pretty sure family also. part of me did it to prove them wrong, i'm stubborn like that!!!

just dont do the end part and fuck it all up like me!!!

what if you can recover from whatever it is the "bad thing" you did?
:hug:

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
what if you can recover from whatever it is the "bad thing" you did?
:hug:

I wish it was that easy, im 40 now. i have done what i wanted to achieve and proved people wrong. that was the main goal. I set myself the target i said i would own this car and that i have done it all. I just don't have the motivation anymore.

i got involved in drugs, i lost a massive contract(it was a massive amount of money), got ill and shut my business. I just don't have it in me anymore. I just have this thing where i seem to want to fuck things up. i had it sooo good, what people dream of( but not unachievable). by the time i got myself sorted to work again, if i could i would of lost absolutely everything. i don't want that to happen, i want to leave family what i have left. I'm not a nice person either, i have done said done horrible things, i don't want to continue doing this. I'm 40yrs old i will never change.if i sorted myself out i would just fuck it up all over again anyway( i know me well).

but people shouldn't be downhearted by what happened to me, if anything use what happened to me as a rule of what not to do, the end part certainly.

i just have a self destruct sort of thing!

but i just want others to know there is hope! especially when your young

I don't want to sound pro life though, i don't know everyone circumstances and problems. what each of you decide is totally upto you though, i don't judge

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, KleinerWolf and puppy9
puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
WTF 50 cent. You don't owe those fuckers any explanation. They owe you an explanation.

• Love
Reactions: checkouttime, Deleted member 4993, Eurus and 1 other person
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
I wish it was that easy, im 40 now. i have done what i wanted to achieve and proved people wrong. that was the main goal. I set myself the target i said i would own this car and that i have done it all. I just don't have the motivation anymore.

i got involved in drugs, i lost a massive contract(it was a massive amount of money), got ill and shut my business. I just don't have it in me anymore. I just have this thing where i seem to want to fuck things up. i had it sooo good, what people dream of( but not unachievable). by the time i got myself sorted to work again, if i could i would of lost absolutely everything. i don't want that to happen, i want to leave family what i have left. I'm not a nice person either, i have done said done horrible things, i don't want to continue doing this. I'm 40yrs old i will never change.if i sorted myself out i would just fuck it up all over again anyway( i know me well).

but people shouldn't be downhearted by what happened to me, if anything use what happened to me as a rule of what not to do, the end part certainly.

i just have a self destruct sort of thing!

but i just want others to know there is hope! especially when your young

I don't want to sound pro life though, i don't know everyone circumstances and problems. what each of you decide is totally upto you though, i don't judge

Most people have this part of themselves they'd wish didn't exist or perhaps have even a glimpse of hope for fixing things.

I'm not sure how I feel about life.
Speaking from my own experience, some things are so beautiful, some things are so messed up.
I guess at end of the day, everyone's got problems, somewhere down this journey, people gonna be content with themselves.
It'd be nice too if it doesn't involve suicide.
I pray for everyone and myself.
Praying for good outcomes.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: checkouttime and Deleted member 4993