Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty.
Mar 11, 2022
But if so, would we even know it?

• Love
Reactions: niki wonoto
T

ThePaleWhiteLight

Mar 28, 2022
Personally, I believe so. There are a number of different ways this could happen:

If the universe is a closed system (i.e. it receives no information from outside sources) and is finite in space, it may undergo Poincaré recurrence.

If the universe is an open system, that implies multiverses. If the universe ends in heat death it may still end up repeating itself via spontaneous decreases in entropy

Last edited:
  • Love
Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
Personally, I believe so. There are a number of different ways this could happen:

If the universe is a closed system (i.e. it receives no information from outside sources) and is finite in space, it may undergo Poincaré recurrence.

If the universe is an open system, that implies multiverses. If the universe ends in heat death it may still end up repeating itself via spontaneous decreases in entropy

If so, how likely is it that this is our first life?

T

ThePaleWhiteLight

Mar 28, 2022
If so, how likely is it that this is our first life?

That depends on what you think time is. If you think of time as a linear sequence of events, it could be arbitrary. If you think that time is just a description of space, as many physicists do, it's more like all your lives occur simultaneously.

• Love
Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
That depends on what you think time is. If you think of time as a linear sequence of events, it could be arbitrary. If you think that time is just a description of space, as many physicists do, it's more like all your lives occur simultaneously.
So then what happens when I die in that scenario?

Reactions: Shu