C

calendulo

Enlightened
Jun 13, 2019
I would need a translation for an expression, guess will be an expression from US English,.............or not.
It belongs from this sentence, what It is a lyrics of a song from record named "Closing time" of Tom Waits.
What means "lickety-splicky".
Thanks in advance.

"Well my time went so quickly, I went lickety-splickly out to my old 55
As I drove away slowly, feeling so holy, God knows, I was feeling alive."

Reactions: Brick In The Wall
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
I would translate it as "very quickly".

Reactions: calendulo, mesohappy and Brick In The Wall
C

calendulo

Enlightened
Jun 13, 2019
thank you, so kind of you.

There is sometime expression certainly so difficult to translate, especially in order to understand the conext.

Reactions: Brick In The Wall and Epsilon0
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I find this intriguing for a few reasons. To me the substance of this message is to move quickly as @Epsilon0 stated. But in the context they're moving quickly to a slower time. They long for a slower time in life because things were so much simpler, understandable, and potentially happier for them.

Reactions: calendulo and Epsilon0
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
The actual term is lickety-split, but Waits poeticized it. Yes, it means very quickly, in an instant. People often say something like, "She/he/it went lickety-split, just like that," and then snap.

• Love
Reactions: Epsilon0 and calendulo
C

calendulo

Enlightened
Jun 13, 2019
I find this intriguing for a few reasons. To me the substance of this message is to move quickly as @Epsilon0 stated. But in the context they're moving quickly to a slower time. They long for a slower time in life because things were so much simpler, understandable, and potentially happier for them.
The actual term is lickety-split, but Waits poeticized it. Yes, it means very quickly, in an instant. People often say something like, "She/he/it went lickety-split, just like that," and then snap.

Both seems to coincide, a kind of contradiction, slow and fast.
It is so complicated translate to Waits. He has a lot of expressions too much figuratives and all songs are full of this kind of sentences.
It is a sad record.
Thanks to both of you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Epsilon0, Brick In The Wall and GoodPersonEffed