Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Sobriety over everything else • 30 • Midwest
Mar 24, 2021
Sometimes I forget that you can't be 100% transparent about your thoughts.

I like to write essays on my social media, and I wrote one recently about unemployed people, and how they are viewed by society.

In this essay, I listed various reasons why people distance themselves from the unemployed, and I think it struck a nerve with my friend.

I logically pointed out that an unemployed person would likely not be able to afford food, and be a liability to someone who had to buy meals for them. I also stated that unemployed people would be potentially less-interesting to talk to, because their ability to travel and have new experiences would be greatly limited by a lack of money.

She screenshotted the part where I said that unemployed people were "less interesting", and sent it to me with the caption "Wow ok, bye then"

I wasn't aware that she may have been unemployed, but regardless, that essay wasn't targeting her specifically. I've enjoyed speaking to her and I think she's nice, I was just exploring potential reasons why society looks down upon the unemployed.

I feel really bad now, because obviously she felt personally-targeted by what I said. I don't like losing friends, and I am kicking myself for not making normal posts like she does where she puts on quirky acts for the camera and makes funny faces.

I'm flying very close to the sun with my essays, but to me, that is what makes my social media special and interesting. I like to make thought-provoking and incendiary observations, but it's painful when that results in losing someone who seemed to be interested in a genuine friendship.

• Hugs
  • Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: LADY007, OrcWitch, Molded foundation and 7 others
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
I like to make thought-provoking and incendiary observations, but it's painful when that results in losing someone who seemed to be interested in a genuine friendship.
Was she really? People who are interested in a genuine friendship don't "Wow ok, bye then" at the drop of a hat like this.

• Love
Reactions: LADY007, BeautifulMosaics, BitterlyAlive_ and 3 others
Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Sobriety over everything else • 30 • Midwest
Mar 24, 2021
Was she really? People who are interested in a genuine friendship don't "Wow ok, bye then" at the drop of a hat like this.
Well, for context, I met her through a BPD (borderline personality disorder) group on Discord. She was really interested in engaging with me from the start, and she got very excited about being penpals. I tried to match her enthusiasm, even though I am a bit more cynical when it comes to online friendships, but it was rare to see someone so eager to get to know me. It was going great at first, and she asked for my other social media accounts; presumably to get to know me more.

She replied to my posts constantly, and said that she thought I was a really smart and thoughtful person. It felt nice to get showered with so many compliments.

Fast-forward a week or so, and I hadn't really talked to her much since I'd been busy with work. She may have taken it as a sign of disinterest, and used my essay as an excuse to cut things off, but I was intending to reach out to her again when I had some extra time. I just wasn't expecting her to burn the bridge and unfriend me so suddenly.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, WatermelonMel, BitterlyAlive_ and 1 other person
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
I am kicking myself for not making normal posts like she does where she puts on quirky acts for the camera and makes funny faces.

Maybe you, someone who makes thought-provoking & even incendiary observations, didn't have enough things in common with a gal who makes normie posts, so it's actually not a tragedy that she said goodbye? My bf isn't educated, so I don't talk to him about the pretentious crap I enjoy, like Rimbaud's poetry, but we have lots of important stuff in common.

I'm sure there are at least a dozen serious-minded SS members who would be genuinely interested in your essays, btw.

Reactions: LADY007, WatermelonMel and Celerity
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Isn't this the explanation then?
@AnxiousSchizoid

This.

Having lived with someone who has BPD and run the gambit of being her friend, pseudo-therapist, and now ex-friend, the behavior you describe in your posts sounds par for the course.

People with BPD are still individuals with diverse life experiences, and many are misdiagnosed. That said, turning on people quickly like this is a characteristic of the disorder. I would recommend you look up the concept of "splitting" in BPD or refresh your memory if you know of it.

You don't have to swallow all of the theory about how/why splitting occurs (and IMO you shouldn't), but I found it to be pretty useful for explaining the wildly fluctuating loyalty of my ex-friend. For weeks, she'll tell you about how wonderful and perfect and smart XYZ person is only for them to become a cruel, untrustworthy, vicious twat in the span of less than a single day because the former Jesus-figure did or said something that offended her. This is how she talked about various people one after the other: one minute, idealized; next minute, denigrated utterly.

From what you posted here, I'm guessing something similar happened with you.

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, WatermelonMel, OrcWitch and 3 others
D

Deleted member 8975

Some people are easily triggered. I'm one of them. Ironically I am a subject in your essay but I do not feel animosity towards you. In fact I agree with you. People like me are uninteresting. We hold little to no value.

I'm sorry you lost a friend.

• Hugs
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics
O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
She sounds unstable. That doesn't make it any easier though, this kind of thing hurts. At least you are able to authentically be yourself instead of putting on a mask in order to maintain friendships.

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics and Celerity