S

SadLoser

Jul 31, 2021
I had an ENTIRE week to do a bunch of assignments and study for exams and I barely got 10% of it done. I would turn on my computer and say "okay, just a few minutes of youtube/reddit/whatever and i'll get to work and before I know it, it's 1am. EVERYDAY basically. I have no attention span. I can't believe I just did that. I am so dumb omg. I'm only in my first year of college so my grades don't count towards my degree and I only have to pass, but it's still really demoralizing.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: waitingforrest, demuic, Passersby and 7 others
Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
I deal with this periodically.

Note that on the one hand, I have a PhD and about 100 publications, but on the other, have spent years in a funk getting almost nothing done.

One of the most effective startegies for me has been go create daily and weekly to-do lists: specific pages to read, specific writing targets, etc.

I would have tasks A, B, C, D, E. Listed for each day. Beside each, I'd estimate how much time it would take. Then, I have an hourly schedule for the day and plug each in, plus breaks.

Get your head organized first thing each day, then move down the list, crossing off tasks once completed.

Amend as necessary, but if you procrastinate, take away evening free time to make up for it.

That's what I did through 13 years of university, with 4 degrees. I did that also through the early years of my career and periodically still when needed (I'm almost ready to retire).

As long as you keep your workflow mushy in your head, you'll continue to be very prone to procrastinate.

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic, allesistgut, Deleted member 8975 and 4 others
Deadly_Intention

Deadly_Intention

Apr 10, 2021
I have a highly organized brain and work flow so I know what to do and when, but I'm seriously lacking motivation at the moment. I'm just too tired, think my CTB is coming soon, I've been fighting too long. I'm in my last year of studies too so the pressure is on and I can't even afford a 30min break if I actually want to pass, yet Here I am on my 4th day of not even touching my books. Doomed to fail. Doomed in anycase.
My advice is, once you start don't even stop. Don't even start your computer for anything other than to study, heck don't even take a break or tell yourself you'll do it tomorrow cos you don't feel like it today cos when tomorrow comes you could feel worse than the day before and then the guilt of not having done anything builds.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: allesistgut, Deleted member 8975 and SadLoser
thinkkank

thinkkank

Experienced
Oct 16, 2019
a fellow adhd sufferer?

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 8975 and SadLoser
S

SadLoser

Jul 31, 2021
I deal with this periodically.

Note that on the one hand, I have a PhD and about 100 publications, but on the other, have spent years in a funk getting almost nothing done.

One of the most effective startegies for me has been go create daily and weekly to-do lists: specific pages to read, specific writing targets, etc.

I would have tasks A, B, C, D, E. Listed for each day. Beside each, I'd estimate how much time it would take. Then, I have an hourly schedule for the day and plug each in, plus breaks.

Get your head organized first thing each day, then move down the list, crossing off tasks once completed.

Amend as necessary, but if you procrastinate, take away evening free time to make up for it.

That's what I did through 13 years of university, with 4 degrees. I did that also through the early years of my career and periodically still when needed (I'm almost ready to retire).

As long as you keep your workflow mushy in your head, you'll continue to be very prone to procrastinate.
Thank you. I try to create schedules but honestly it rarely does much for me. Even when i'm not distracted by my phone or the internet I just start getting random thoughts and then I walk around my room etc. I just can't concentrate no matter what.

I have a highly organized brain and work flow so I know what to do and when, but I'm seriously lacking motivation at the moment. I'm just too tired, think my CTB is coming soon, I've been fighting too long. I'm in my last year of studies too so the pressure is on and I can't even afford a 30min break if I actually want to pass, yet Here I am on my 4th day of not even touching my books. Doomed to fail. Doomed in anycase.
My advice is, once you start don't even stop. Don't even start your computer for anything other than to study, heck don't even take a break or tell yourself you'll do it tomorrow cos you don't feel like it today cos when tomorrow comes you could feel worse than the day before and then the guilt of not having done anything builds.
you're right. Oh God, I am tired despite doing absolutely nothing though lol.

a fellow adhd sufferer?
not sure, was never diagnosed.

thinkkank

thinkkank

Experienced
Oct 16, 2019
you should check out dr K's stuff on ADHD and dr todd grande, it might help

Reactions: SadLoser