S

SadLoser

Jul 31, 2021
Just like with highschool, my life is too messed up for me to care about it at all. I sit down to do an assignment and I can literally be there all day without writing more than the title. My mind is all over the place, I have no attention span. I hate living with my parents, but I can't move out until I finish college if I want to continue with college. I'm seriously thinking of just dropping out and getting a job that doesn't require any qualifications. I want to live a simple life - a small apartment, food, a little bit of disposable income for video games and the gym and things like that. I don't need any more than that. I'm not sure if that's possible though.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, LADY007, waitingforrest and 4 others
1000YellowDaffodils

1000YellowDaffodils

the end is still nigh
Mar 13, 2022
Maybe you could take a gap year if that's possible? Get your apartment and figure out if you still want to finish school?

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere
S

Shouldhavebeendone

Feb 10, 2022
Yeah a gap year could be a good idea. See what options you have for postponing your studies. Might be nice to have a break from education and figure yourself out and what you want to do. I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with it atm I hope it gets better.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I agree with @1000YellowDaffodils, as I did not go to college till, I was 24. I did not have the money but first and fore most I did not know what I wanted and so I got a job, that I liked and 6 years later, I could not get promoted because I did not have any college, so I left the position and went to school.

I had money saved up, but more importantly, I knew what I wanted and why I was there. I got my 4-year degree with 1 major and 4 minors.

One thing that always has stuck in my mind since that time, that was in 1980, is that it was somewhat hard for me to get back in the swing of going to school, BUT, like I said before, I 1005 knew what I wanted and did not waste time nor money.\

Best of luck in your endeavors and you are and will do great! Finding one's path is one of the hardest aspects of life, at least it was for me, but it was so satisfying the last 38 plus years.

YOU are awesome and lots of well wishes my friend.

Always around if you want to talk.

Walter

• Hugs
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Shouldhavebeendone
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
@SadLoser prices are so high today, that without college or skills training, you will never make enough to be comfortable on your own. You definitely don't have to go to college - some skilled jobs like electrician pay more than some college-based careers.

Here's why you need college/training. Let's say you don't have college and make a decent amount, like $25/hr vs college/training and $40/hr

Gross Pay 52000 83000
Net Pay 39000 62000
Rent 18000 18000
Car 6000 6000
Remaining 15000 38000

Basically, you will have $1200/month spending money if you don't go to college. That's for everything, food, gas, health insurance, entertainment, clothes, and savings. That $400/week doesn't go far at all. If you make $40/hr, you'll double that to $800/week.

O

OldDrummer

Arcanist
Feb 4, 2022
Just like with highschool, my life is too messed up for me to care about it at all. I sit down to do an assignment and I can literally be there all day without writing more than the title. My mind is all over the place, I have no attention span. I hate living with my parents, but I can't move out until I finish college if I want to continue with college. I'm seriously thinking of just dropping out and getting a job that doesn't require any qualifications. I want to live a simple life - a small apartment, food, a little bit of disposable income for video games and the gym and things like that. I don't need any more than that. I'm not sure if that's possible though.

Are you doing a course that you're interested in? Do you have general career plans?

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I agree with @threesummers, as one of the reasons I went to college at 24 was the position I had for 6 years paid decent but there was zero room for advancement and I was do good but at a dead end.

After getting out of college with a 4 year degree my income more than doubled and I live in a large metro of over 4 million, so the living costs are high.

One can go to tech school or learn on the job opportunities, but still it comes down to using brain over brawn, if one wants to make a decent go of it.

I grew up on a working dairy farm and one worked morning till night and made enough to live and that was it, no vacations, no nothing extra ever.

Life is too short not to enjoy the world and all the fine folks within.

Walter

Reactions: summers