L

ljyip

Sep 29, 2019
I will rebut all anti-suicide questions at http://www.suicide.org/don't-i-have-the-right-to-die-by-suicide.html

* "Do you have the right to devastate your family?" The way this question is worded essentially blames the suicidal victim for such grief passed on towards loved ones and others. In this progressive era, it is accepted that suicidal people are never at fault for any consequences caused, and yet this common argument against suicide continues to put these victims in pain. In any situation, either the suicide victim or their loved ones will be in pain. The suicide victim should morally have the right to recognize that situation and escape from their pain and that fact. I could also argue about how this question discriminates against what society calls "loners," but I think I've made my point.

* "Do you have the right to cause intense, almost unbearable pain for all of the loved ones that you leave behind?" Very similar to above question, thus is addressed above.

* "Do you have the right to take away any possibility that you would get better?" The way I see life is just a measure of pain versus the absence of pain. If I were to commit suicide, I believe that the absence of my consciousness results in the absence of all pain, therefore fitting my definition of perfect "happiness." Although my opinion does not apply to everyone else, my opinion should be included and accounted for. When encountering a suicidal person, how would one know if they have the same opinion as me? As society cannot just discern that information, it should be better to just give them full autonomy of their body.

* "Do you have the right to take away all of the wonderful things in life that you have yet to experience?" Very similar to above question, thus is addressed above.

* "Do you have the right to take an action that is a permanent solution to a temporary problem?" This question assumes that all pain is temporary. Again, I think that the existence of pain, no matter how trivial, is permanent problem and requires suicide as the permanent solution. With my opinion established, my answer to the 3rd question should also connect this opinion of mine to society.

* "Do you have the right to cause irreversible brain damage to yourself if your suicide is not completed?" It's true that there is always a probability, small or big, that the pain increases in an unintended way. With my answers above defending suicidal victims, I believe that people should not go through physical means to interrupt suicide attempts as the suicidal victim has already established their decision. Even if nobody knew about such attempts of a victim, I also believe that the government should provide services to help reduce the accident rate. It will never be 0%, but there's also the possibility of having a painful medical condition due to old age. Thus, there is the decision to approach inevitable death through the means of one's choice and it should not be interrupted.

* "Do you have the right to cause yourself to become disfigured if your suicide is not completed?" Very similar to above question, thus is addressed above.

* "Do you have the right to cause yourself permanent paralysis if your suicide is not completed?" Very similar to above question, thus is addressed above.

* "Do you have the right to end your life instead of focusing on ending your pain? (It is the pain that you want to end, not your life.)" This question assumes that society's definition of pain also applies to suicidal victims, which is usually false. I think I've made my point with my answers above.

* "Do you have the right to not receive treatment for the mental illness that you probably have -- the treatment that will make you better?" What's the definition of better? How about the definition of treatment? I think suicide is a better treatment to stop pain and many suicidal victims would agree with me.

* " The question should not be whether you have the right to die by suicide. But should be, What do you need to do to get better? " Very similar to above question, thus is addressed above.

I also want to address, "How about those who are caught up in the moment and aren't thinking rationally? What if they regret it when they're rational" In my defense, I believe that all suicidal people should be treated as if they were acting rationally as it is impossible to differentiate between those the question addresses and those who are rational.

BTW, I posted this as a reddit post on r/unpopularopinion, but it seems that the spam filter removed it. I just want to share my thoughts.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, jakaranda3, Efilismislife and 8 others
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
Your effort is appreciated, but arguing with most people about this topic is most certainly in vain.
Comme d'habitude, most can only relate to certain feelings or ways of thinking if they have experienced them themselves.
Besides, I believe that some people are afraid of facing these arguments, since they might end up accepting them.
They work hard, try to improve, go to psychologists in an attempt to convince themselves that life is worth continuing, so that
accepting the validity of suicide would render all their efforts a waste of time.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Journeytoletgo, listeningpost1379 and 3 others
eternalmelancholy

eternalmelancholy

waiting for the bus
Mar 24, 2021
The author of that page is a real asshole. His argument against suicide falls into two categories:

1) Using guilt and shame to silence people
2) Using false hope and fear to control people

This person is extremely manipulative and once you see through their deception their argument falls flat.

The fundamental truth is that you and you alone have complete agency over your life. If you choose to end it then it is your choice to make. Society puts up immense barriers to stop you. Coupled with our natural instinct to survive, suicide is very difficult to pull off.

You have to ask yourself why do these people pretend to care about whether you live or die? After years of thinking about this question the only conclusion I came up with is that they can't have us lower class plebs killing ourselves en masse. Otherwise the entire system will crumble.

They need an underclass of workers to keep the cogs turning. That is why society always promotes pro life and pro natalist agendas.

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, jakaranda3, Journeytoletgo and 9 others
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
The author of that page is a real asshole. His argument against suicide falls into two categories:

1) Using guilt and shame to silence people
2) Using false hope and fear to control people

This person is extremely manipulative and once you see through their deception their argument falls flat.

The fundamental truth is that you and you alone have complete agency over your life. If you choose to end it then it is your choice to make. Society puts up immense barriers to stop you. Coupled with our natural instinct to survive, suicide is very difficult to pull off.

You have to ask yourself why do these people pretend to care about whether you live or die? After years of thinking about this question the only conclusion I came up with is that they can't have us lower class plebs killing ourselves en masse. Otherwise the entire system will crumble.

They need an underclass of workers to keep the cogs turning. That is why society always promotes pro life and pro natalist agendas.
An impeccable analysis.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Your effort is appreciated, but arguing with most people about this topic is most certainly in vain.

Exactly! They'll just keep on saying nonsense stuff about how precious life really is.

I don't waste my time with that kind of people anymore.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Journeytoletgo and lanax09
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
"Do you have the right? Do you have the right?"
We get it, we have no rights whatsoever. May we at least crawl on our bellies like the worms we are before the Lord, our Master, please?

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Seiba, darkwater and 4 others
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
This is a very good point.
A commonly cited argument against voluntary human extinction or to prove that suicidal tendencies are symptomatic of a mental illness is that "most people enjoy their lives". If so, they surely wouldn't mind it if the tiny minority of mentally ill suicidal people killed themselves. After all, the majority enjoys life just fine.
There's the rub: they know exactly that a large part of the world's population harbours suicidal thoughts, be it consciously or unconsciously. Letting these people kill themselves would conflict with the point you raised above. This is one of the reasons why suicide will never be accepted.

Reactions: ConfusedAndWeird, eternalmelancholy, Bleh and 2 others
All Things Must Pass

All Things Must Pass

Mage
Apr 14, 2021
That website looks like it was last updated in 2005. And how come he acts like all suicide causes are temporary but mentions 3 permanent suicide causes right after?

Last edited:
Reactions: motel rooms and lanax09
eternalmelancholy

eternalmelancholy

waiting for the bus
Mar 24, 2021
This is a very good point.
A commonly cited argument against voluntary human extinction or to prove that suicidal tendencies are symptomatic of a mental illness is that "most people enjoy their lives". If so, they surely wouldn't mind it if the tiny minority of mentally ill suicidal people killed themselves. After all, the majority enjoys life just fine.
There's the rub: they know exactly that a large part of the world's population harbours suicidal thoughts, be it consciously or unconsciously. Letting these people kill themselves would conflict with the point you raised above. This is one of the reasons why suicide will never be accepted.

Even if euthanasia were to be legalized, it would be kept inaccessible by being hidden away behind labyrinths of bureaucracy. Maybe the fourth industrial revolution with the advent of AI and automation will render human slaves useless. Then our masters will no longer have a need for us.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
CatabolicSeed

CatabolicSeed

they/them
Feb 19, 2020
Ugh, just reading the first few sentences on that site make me mad. No one else is entitled to my life and existence, it's MY OWN.

• Love
Reactions: Journeytoletgo and it's_all_a_game
Futile

Futile

Tired of being lonely
Sep 3, 2020
You have done a very great job, but I feel everything would be more easy by simply saying "yes"

Do you have the right to devastate your family?
Yes
Do you have the right to cause intense, almost unbearable pain for all of the loved ones that you leave behind?
Yes
Do you have the right to take away any possibility that you would get better?
Yes
Do you have the right to take away all of the wonderful things in life that you have yet to experience?
Yes
Do you have the right to take an action that is a permanent solution to a temporary problem?
Yes
Do you have the right to cause irreversible brain damage to yourself if your suicide is not completed?
Yes
Do you have the right to cause yourself to become disfigured if your suicide is not completed?
Yes
Do you have the right to cause yourself permanent paralysis if your suicide is not completed?
Yes
Do you have the right to end your life instead of focusing on ending your pain?
Yes
Do you have the right to not receive treatment for the mental illness that you probably have -- the treatment that will make you better?
Yes

This life is mine and I get to decide how it goes, sorry prolifers but my body my choice

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Journeytoletgo and it's_all_a_game
it's_all_a_game

it's_all_a_game

I remember...death in the afternoon...
Nov 7, 2020
This life is mine and I get to decide how it goes, sorry prolifers but my body my choice
Funny how that argument works for abortion but not ctb.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Journeytoletgo and Sprite_Geist
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
A right to die should be a basic human right, this is as we did not ask to exist so we have no obligation to stay alive. Prolifers can say 'suicide is never the answer' but it should be viewed as an rational alternative to a life filled with pain and suffering. People should at least have a choice. Many of the arguments against suicide are either from a selfish perspective of those left behind, or people who simply cannot comprehend what it is like wanting to take your own life.

• Love
Reactions: puppet_nihilist and Journeytoletgo
qwertylmno

qwertylmno

nine millimeter on the side swing it if you like
Jun 10, 2021
"Do you have the right to not receive treatment for the mental illness that you probably have -- the treatment that will make you better?"

you and what army
but for real, money exists. i've never had a good psychologist or psychiatrist. they never diagnose me right. they threaten to put me in a ward. the few in my state are actually notably equal to prisons, you do not come out better. it's costly, not everyone has that right.