uglyugly

uglyugly

Student
Aug 24, 2024
My dad is in his mid-80s and I am a caregiver. He has dementia. The man is losing his mind and his personality is really awful now. Yesterday I got a real education on why I'm going to take myself off this planet long before I'm that age.

He's in an old folks home and that place is the seventh circle of hell. I would much rather die than wind up there. There is NOTHING pleasant about being in an old folks home. It has to be one of the shittiest places on the planet and that's even if it is a 5 star place. Yesterday he wanted to go to dinner at the dining room there, but got pissed off waiting to be seated, so we left. Even though I was dizzy from not eating, I was glad we left. All around were old people with their walkers, canes, hunched over, barely walking, and talking about their fucking health problems. They are rude, talk over each other and shout because half of them can't hear. Some of them were not home mentally. Some had attitudes. Some, like my dad, have dementia. Some can barely function. There is nothing more annoying then a room full of old people because all they do is complain about their health and shout.

And fuck that. I don't want to live to be that age. My whole life would be about doctors and drugs and other old people who can't and won't shut up about their aches and pains. Or worse, to be so old and incompetent that I need someone else to wipe my ass. NOT going to happen. Fuck all of that. At the point I am in too much pain, start to lose my mind (will I even know?), can't walk without a rollator, and have nothing to think about except my physical problems, I absolutely want to die. It pisses me off to no end that people who are in real pain can't legally end their lives in this country.

I was pissed off, weak, hungry as hell and tired. I had been waiting on that meal and had not eaten since morning. He would not leave the building to eat dinner anywhere else, so that meant he ate at home, but I had nothing. I am so fucking sick and tried of being too broke to buy basic food. I am so tired of being hungry. I don't just want but NEED real food at this point. Not shit from a dumpster or a box mix... REAL FOOD. That's another rant for another day.

Anyhow, then after his dinner, he kept wanting me to stay and do this and do that. He wanted to talk about a DNR (do not resuscitate order). He could not understand a 1 page form. I explained his two options over and over and over and over. I went to 3 different websites and read their verbiage to explain it. He still didn't get it. I started drinking alcohol out of frustration (at least he had that) and to calm myself down because I was going to blow a head gasket. I finally said let the damn doctor explain it because clearly I'm too incompetent to explain it properly. He got upset because I washed the dishes - which were absolutely disgusting, unsanitary and had clearly been there for days. But because I did that, the clean dishes were exactly where he sets his fucking ice cream bowl down.... never mind that there is an entire counter he could have used. No gratitude at all for trying to help him clean that goddamn, unsanitary pig sty up. He needs to hire someone because I have had it. Let them make 40 goddamn dollars an hour to be treated like you can't do a fucking thing right. But, that may be hard when he's pissing his money away on political donations and my drug/gambling/alcoholic sibling. You can treat me like shit or pay me like shit, but not both... and he isn't paying me.

He has lost it to the point that my need to eat was a non-issue for him. THAT is dementia talking. Before that took over his mind, he could have seen that I needed dinner, even if that meant discussing the DNR another day. I finally got home around 9 and was so depressed I knew if I had a gun within reach, I would have blown my head off right then and there. .I am NOT living, I am existing. My relationship with him is shit, my job is shit, and I'm fucking broke, depressed, exhausted and just DONE. I do not want to live like this another day!

But I do have an interview this week. Wish me luck. I need out of this hell.

Reactions: libitina, Jarni, wCvML2 and 5 others
memoriesofyesterday

memoriesofyesterday

Sep 24, 2024
You sound really upset as you absolutely should be!

DNR discussions are a bitch.

"There is nothing more annoying then a room full of old people because all they do is complain about their health and shout."

Oh Gosh! Don't get angry at me. But isn't that kind of what we're doing here more or less?

And I'm not trying to belittle you, or anything. Thank you for being a caregiver. I know what this is like.

Good luck with your interview!

Reactions: uglyugly
N

NoPoint2Life

Why is this so hard?
Aug 31, 2024
Good luck on your interview.
The thought of growing old absolutely horrifies me. I think of it every time I see an elderly person. Just this morning I read that our former president of the US, Jimmy Carter, turns 100 today. I thought that was the most awful thing ever. As if it's a good achievement.
I live with my parents and help care for my mother who has a ton of health issues issues. She started getting health issues at a younger age, and I am terrified I will wind up the same. She is housebound by health issues. Where as I like to stay in the house by choice and would never leave if I could.
The one thing I have really not had to deal with yet is dementia. It sounds awful and I'm sorry you're going through it with your dad. Closest gotten, is my grandmother who had a brain tumor, which gave a lot of symptoms very similar to dementia and Alzheimer's. My mom did full-time caretaking for her. I don't want to get stuck like that.

Reactions: uglyugly, pthnrdnojvsc and alienfreak
alienfreak

alienfreak

Sep 25, 2024
Completely agree, being old and having to take care of old people can only be described as horror to me. I can't understand at all why people dont want to die earlier, avoid all that and being a burden on the young

Reactions: uglyugly, Jarni, pthnrdnojvsc and 1 other person
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I agree, old age seems absolutely hellish and undesirable. I don't know why normies want to live past old age. It makes no sense to me. I'm extremely terrifies of old age and I want to end my life now to be at peace but I can't because euthanasia is illegal

Reactions: uglyugly, NoPoint2Life and alienfreak
memoriesofyesterday

memoriesofyesterday

Sep 24, 2024
Completely agree, being old and having to take care of old people can only be described as horror to me.
It was an honor for me. I would love to go back and change the potty chair and hook up the oxygen machine and pray with my Mom at night.

I'd cut off both my legs and crawl in front of speeding traffic to have even two months.

avoid all that and being a burden on the young.

I think that's why maybe my Mom chose comfort care. I hope not though.

I told her I liked the dialysis days.

• Hugs
Reactions: uglyugly and Jarni
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
My dad is in his mid-80s and I am a caregiver. He has dementia. The man is losing his mind and his personality is really awful now. Yesterday I got a real education on why I'm going to take myself off this planet long before I'm that age.

He's in an old folks home and that place is the seventh circle of hell. I would much rather die than wind up there. There is NOTHING pleasant about being in an old folks home. It has to be one of the shittiest places on the planet and that's even if it is a 5 star place. Yesterday he wanted to go to dinner at the dining room there, but got pissed off waiting to be seated, so we left. Even though I was dizzy from not eating, I was glad we left. All around were old people with their walkers, canes, hunched over, barely walking, and talking about their fucking health problems. They are rude, talk over each other and shout because half of them can't hear. Some of them were not home mentally. Some had attitudes. Some, like my dad, have dementia. Some can barely function. There is nothing more annoying then a room full of old people because all they do is complain about their health and shout.

And fuck that. I don't want to live to be that age. My whole life would be about doctors and drugs and other old people who can't and won't shut up about their aches and pains. Or worse, to be so old and incompetent that I need someone else to wipe my ass. NOT going to happen. Fuck all of that. At the point I am in too much pain, start to lose my mind (will I even know?), can't walk without a rollator, and have nothing to think about except my physical problems, I absolutely want to die. It pisses me off to no end that people who are in real pain can't legally end their lives in this country.

I was pissed off, weak, hungry as hell and tired. I had been waiting on that meal and had not eaten since morning. He would not leave the building to eat dinner anywhere else, so that meant he ate at home, but I had nothing. I am so fucking sick and tried of being too broke to buy basic food. I am so tired of being hungry. I don't just want but NEED real food at this point. Not shit from a dumpster or a box mix... REAL FOOD. That's another rant for another day.

Anyhow, then after his dinner, he kept wanting me to stay and do this and do that. He wanted to talk about a DNR (do not resuscitate order). He could not understand a 1 page form. I explained his two options over and over and over and over. I went to 3 different websites and read their verbiage to explain it. He still didn't get it. I started drinking alcohol out of frustration (at least he had that) and to calm myself down because I was going to blow a head gasket. I finally said let the damn doctor explain it because clearly I'm too incompetent to explain it properly. He got upset because I washed the dishes - which were absolutely disgusting, unsanitary and had clearly been there for days. But because I did that, the clean dishes were exactly where he sets his fucking ice cream bowl down.... never mind that there is an entire counter he could have used. No gratitude at all for trying to help him clean that goddamn, unsanitary pig sty up. He needs to hire someone because I have had it. Let them make 40 goddamn dollars an hour to be treated like you can't do a fucking thing right. But, that may be hard when he's pissing his money away on political donations and my drug/gambling/alcoholic sibling. You can treat me like shit or pay me like shit, but not both... and he isn't paying me.

He has lost it to the point that my need to eat was a non-issue for him. THAT is dementia talking. Before that took over his mind, he could have seen that I needed dinner, even if that meant discussing the DNR another day. I finally got home around 9 and was so depressed I knew if I had a gun within reach, I would have blown my head off right then and there. .I am NOT living, I am existing. My relationship with him is shit, my job is shit, and I'm fucking broke, depressed, exhausted and just DONE. I do not want to live like this another day!

But I do have an interview this week. Wish me luck. I need out of this hell.
Every thing u said is true.

I worked in a nursing home . It's Unimaginable hell . This is hidden from people to keep up the lie that "life is good" . Life is not good . Life is bad

Last edited:
Reactions: uglyugly, Jarni and foreverfalling
sevennn

sevennn

Experienced
Sep 11, 2024
don't have to be old to experience. just have to be disabled

Reactions: uglyugly and Jarni
alienfreak

alienfreak

Sep 25, 2024
It was an honor for me. I would love to go back and change the potty chair and hook up the oxygen machine and pray with my Mom at night.

I'd cut off both my legs and crawl in front of speeding traffic to have even two months.

I think that's why maybe my Mom chose comfort care. I hope not though.

I told her I liked the dialysis days.
It's beautiful that you had a connection like that with her, I hadn't been able to imagine it being like that

sevennn

sevennn

Experienced
Sep 11, 2024
Every thing u said is true.

I worked in a nursing home . It's Unimaginable hell . This is hidden from people to keep up the lie that life is good
i think people know life = bad but escapism is vice and sin we love too much. love closing eyes to everything

Reactions: uglyugly, Jarni and pthnrdnojvsc
foreverfalling

foreverfalling

Experienced
Jul 22, 2022
Yes I can't imagine spending the last years of my life like that. Fuck these people who are going to force me to suffer through that. Life is already unbearable as is whilst I don't have major health problems.

Reactions: uglyugly and pthnrdnojvsc
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I'd never wish for such as well, personally I find it so horrific how a human can suffer in this existence for so long just to face the torture of old age, I also just wish to be gone, in fact non-existence is all I truly hope for.

uglyugly

uglyugly

Student
Aug 24, 2024
Oh Gosh! Don't get angry at me. But isn't that kind of what we're doing here more or less?

And I'm not trying to belittle you, or anything. Thank you for being a caregiver. I know what this is like.

Good luck with your interview!
I'm willing to bet no one on this site has dementia. IMO, there's a huge difference between knowing a person wants their life to end, thus they are on SS and talking about it, and not having a clue that they said the same thing in the previous sentence, or where they are or what they are doing. Yes, caregiving is exhausting. The worst part is I am starting to question my own sanity and intelligence. Am I going nuts and unable to explain anything anymore, or has he really lost it?

Thanks for the well wishes! This job would mean enough money to get real food. :)

memoriesofyesterday

memoriesofyesterday

Sep 24, 2024
I'm willing to bet no one on this site has dementia. IMO, there's a huge difference between knowing a person wants their life to end, thus they are on SS and talking about it, and not having a clue that they said the same thing in the previous sentence, or where they are or what they are doing. Yes, caregiving is exhausting. The worst part is I am starting to question my own sanity and intelligence. Am I going nuts and unable to explain anything anymore, or has he really lost it?

Thanks for the well wishes! This job would mean enough money to get real food. :)
Keep focused. You're going to do well.

Thanks for the reply.

Your going to nail this interview friend!

uglyugly

uglyugly

Student
Aug 24, 2024
Good luck on your interview.
The thought of growing old absolutely horrifies me. I think of it every time I see an elderly person. Just this morning I read that our former president of the US, Jimmy Carter, turns 100 today. I thought that was the most awful thing ever. As if it's a good achievement.
I live with my parents and help care for my mother who has a ton of health issues issues. She started getting health issues at a younger age, and I am terrified I will wind up the same. She is housebound by health issues. Where as I like to stay in the house by choice and would never leave if I could.
The one thing I have really not had to deal with yet is dementia. It sounds awful and I'm sorry you're going through it with your dad. Closest gotten, is my grandmother who had a brain tumor, which gave a lot of symptoms very similar to dementia and Alzheimer's. My mom did full-time caretaking for her. I don't want to get stuck like that.
100??? Nooooo way. Yes, our country treats that as an achievement.

I don't blame you for not wanting to be old and for not wanting to care give for someone who has dementia like problems. Being a care giver is so, so hard. My hat is off to you! I'm glad your mom still has her mind. It's an additional level of screwed up when they do not, not that everything isn't already hard.

My dad and I don't live together.... we'd kill each other. Don't get me wrong - he is a wonderful person, or was, until dementia started eating his mind. My biological grandma (I'm adopted) spent the last 7 years of her life in bed with dementia. No. Just no. Nooooo.