deadwinter

deadwinter

i want to see angels
Apr 7, 2023
Hi,

I've struggled w hygiene for years and I feel so hopeless & alone. I shower maybe once a week and I'm lucky if I brush my teeth twice a week. I just don't wash my face or brush my hair. I feel disgusting most of the time; I hate feeling dirty, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I can't remember how I used to take care of myself so effortlessly. I desperately want to change but I feel so stuck & routine seems impossible.

To anyone struggling, please remember that you're not alone. I'm so proud of you for trying because I know firsthand how hard it is. I would love to hear your experiences, if you feel comfortable sharing of course. Have a lovely day/night :)

• Hugs
Reactions: Sannti, Sweet Tart, Lostandlooking and 4 others
P

permanent_solution

Aug 5, 2023
do you have a bathtub? i used to just do everything in the bathtub, id brush my teeth sitting down while the water ran and then id plug it and wash myself, face, and hair and all. i was too sad to stand and take a shower. if you dont, you can bring your face wash and toothbrush and use them while you shower. its less daunting when its all one big task. (also you can go weeks without showering - buy wet wipes, and use them on your feet/pits/groin (the last one is better to be washed with just water, just pour some in a water bottle and wash) morning and night, then deodarant where needed. honestly you can go a long while without any smell, i do live in a cold climate, but still. if you cant do the big thing, just do what you can. if it starts to smell with this method (it will and deodarant will build up = nasty itch), go to the sink and wash your pits with soap, its a bit awkward but doable +and your feet with soap/gel in like a bucket or a bidet if you have +on top of that wet a towel and just scrub your body/face). its all quick and easy, can be done separately (make sure to change what you wear frequently, i mean the articles of clothing that are worn closest to the body, i didnt want to be condescending and name them) i just assume you have depression, i do too, i found this to be of help when i needed it, its still something. like a refresher. i had to shave my head once or twice. if it comes to that - you can wash it in the sink, if you dont want to go crazy like me, maybe consider a chop? my hair grows super fast and i feel progressively worse as it does tbh (+a wet cotton disk is good for the face, a little spray bottle and some disks = you can wash your face any time basically, +im not sure what you mean by washing your face, water is fine on it, nothing fancy really is needed, when you wash your hands for whatever reason, just splash your face in the end. for the teeth? i dont even know, i started to brush and floss every day out of fear of dental appointments, lol). you can change. im sure of it. try to view it as something relaxing, instead of a chore. theres a certain joy to washing yourself, if you find it, it'll be easier. hope this helped. i feel this problem on a personal level and i just wanted to add, it doesnt have to be.. you know perfect. just do something. dont be bashing yourself because you cant do it how its supposed to be done, its no use. its a temporary hiccup anyone can have, you are not inferior to anyone, just struggling for now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: worldsapart, Sweet Tart and cgrtt.brns
T

TheMetalhead

Experienced
Aug 18, 2023
Been there, if it wasn't for my work I'd probably wash once a week too. Basic hygiene became a problem back when I was so depressed I wouldn't step out of bed.
Could leave my wounds blood stained for days before wiping them off.
Life sucks, but we gotta move on somehow or it's gonna consume us.
Unless you feel like ending it all, try some basics first, even if you hate it. Maybe it could help somehow?

• Love
Reactions: permanent_solution
.twilight.girl.

.twilight.girl.

Living off of miracles.
Aug 19, 2023
I started brushing my teeth twice a day about 2.5-3 months ago and I always try to do it before something gets in the way. I struggled at nighttime because I would use the excuse "I am just too tired, I'll do it in the morning" Instead, I will do before I know I am about to get tired or too lazy to get up. So if I am watching a movie and I get up to get a snack or drink, I'll try to do it then because I am already off my butt.

Sweet Tart

Sweet Tart

Arcanist
May 10, 2023
It's really, really hard to take care of my body. I shower 1-2x per week & brush my teeth in the morning. I don't leave my room much or do anything, so I don't sweat much. I change my clothes when they start to smell.

I feel much better after showering, washing my hair, and putting on something clean but even then, all I want to do is be cozy and sleep. I have no motivation to do it until being dirty starts to bother me. Depression is really fucked up. Sorry you are dealing with this stuff, too! Maintaining a body is hard work.

vitbar

vitbar

Escaped Lunatic
Jun 4, 2023
Honestly I relate. Things are less bad now than they have been, but I hardly wash my hair any more. Do brush my teeth everyday and shower most days. Work kind of demands it because I get very sweaty and it stops me sleeping if I've not washed. On weeks off I barely shower depending on what I've been doing.