M

merem

Jul 23, 2019
Hello,

It'is my story

I have just learned today that I could have an assisted suicide for psychiatric illness with a Swiss association but which only accepts Swiss people or people who live in Switzerland.

BUT there are other associations in Switzerland that accept foreigners living abroad for assisted suicide due to mental illness.

I am in my late thirties. I have had psychological problems since adolescence: personality disorders (bordenline) / recurrent depressions etc. I have been followed in psychiatry for 15-20 years, I have had between 15-20 hospitalizations, I have had lots of therapy, I have had lots of different drug treatments etc. etc. Rather, it was a failure.
I have been thinking about assisted suicide since 2017-2018. At first it got me a lot of problems and troubles; especially with doctors, psychiatrists, caregivers etc. You cannot imagine all the problems I had as a result of this and the "medical violence" suffered.
After that I stopped talking about assisted suicide and I realized that I had to do my own thing (buying things on the internet). Several times I had problems, delays in my projects but I never gave up. Finally, I preferred to abandon this project because I didn't really have a choice. I was still in trouble because of this, but less serious.
Since I had no choice, I took the risk of talking to my psychiatrist about assisted suicide last summer (2019). At least with him, I did not have medical violence but he was opposed, it was the first time that I spoke to him about this. J
I got back in touch with the assisted suicide association and there they provided me with 4-5 names of psychiatrists who might be willing to help me.
It was difficult and it was only the 3rd psychiatrist who agreed to see me again. I had to wait 3 months. Then the procedure was long (10 months) because the psychitric evaluation must be serious and the "expert" psychiatrist doctors must provide a good report to the association. As a rule (but not always), the association also needs the report of the patient's psychiatrist + the patient's doctor. Fortunately for me, my psychiatrist had changed his mind and also agreed to make a report for the association and my doctor also agreed.
All of these reports are only valid for 6 months and assisted suicide can only be done within 6 months. So if we want to wait more than 6 months for the suicide, we must be sure that the doctors will agree to redo the reports.

You see it is possible to have an assisted suicide for psychic illness. There are also Swiss-to-Swiss associations for foreigners living abroad. But the hardest part is finding doctors who will agree to make these reports.

This is my story. I haven't chosen a date yet.
I still have time.

If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate.

However, I will not be able to answer before Tuesday.

See you next time.

Sorry for the mistakes.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Shinobi, Sinkinshyp, Lux and 26 others
redbutterfly

redbutterfly

Jul 31, 2020
actually this made me hopeful for a peaceful death. i hope everything turns out as you want

Reactions: merem, Living_Hurts_so_Much and DeathIsTheWayOut99
R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
Happy for you that you will have a peaceful exit. I would love to apply but I don't think my doctor would ever sign off on it.

Reactions: merem and Living_Hurts_so_Much
L

Lostandlooking

In limbo
Jul 23, 2020
I'm also happy for you. I hope this will become a viable option in more countries. The suffering mental illness can cause is underestimated in my opinion. There's a Dutch documentary by Vice called 'Too young to die'. Which is about young people with mental illness who have applied for assisted suicide. So yeah, it's already possible in some countries. It has English subtitles.

Reactions: merem
R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
If the OP could provide links or more information on how to begin/apply for this process that'd be much appreciated!

Reactions: merem and esse_est_percipi
Sinai Silence

Sinai Silence

I think I'ma die alone inside my room
Jul 6, 2020
Glad to hear you will have a peacful exit, best of luck to you buddy.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and merem
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Glad to hear that you are approved for the process and I hope you find peace in whatever you choose to do as well as during the interim. :hug:

E

ERASED

Student
May 17, 2020
GOD!!! I wish had assisted suicide for mentally ill people in america. Would make my life way more easier.

Reactions: merem and Wrennie
M

meerpasta

Jan 29, 2020
That's amazing, I really hope it works out for you and maybe helps make a case for more to follow in the future as well.

Reactions: merem and ERASED
FriendofDeath

FriendofDeath

Elementalist
May 22, 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience and your openness to further questions. Like the others, I wish this was an option for more people, but at least we know it's possible, though a very challenging path you followed to fulfill your personal goal.

Reactions: ERASED
Zappfe lover

Zappfe lover

Experienced
Jun 24, 2020
I'm so happy for you (:

Reactions: merem, leiche and ERASED
M

merem

Jul 23, 2019
Hello,

It'is my story

I have just learned today that I could have an assisted suicide for psychiatric illness with a Swiss association but which only accepts Swiss people or people who live in Switzerland.

BUT there are other associations in Switzerland that accept foreigners living abroad for assisted suicide due to mental illness.

I am in my late thirties. I have had psychological problems since adolescence: personality disorders (bordenline) / recurrent depressions etc. I have been followed in psychiatry for 15-20 years, I have had between 15-20 hospitalizations, I have had lots of therapy, I have had lots of different drug treatments etc. etc. Rather, it was a failure.
I have been thinking about assisted suicide since 2017-2018. At first it got me a lot of problems and troubles; especially with doctors, psychiatrists, caregivers etc. You cannot imagine all the problems I had as a result of this and the "medical violence" suffered.
After that I stopped talking about assisted suicide and I realized that I had to do my own thing (buying things on the internet). Several times I had problems, delays in my projects but I never gave up. Finally, I preferred to abandon this project because I didn't really have a choice. I was still in trouble because of this, but less serious.
Since I had no choice, I took the risk of talking to my psychiatrist about assisted suicide last summer (2019). At least with him, I did not have medical violence but he was opposed, it was the first time that I spoke to him about this. J
I got back in touch with the assisted suicide association and there they provided me with 4-5 names of psychiatrists who might be willing to help me.
It was difficult and it was only the 3rd psychiatrist who agreed to see me again. I had to wait 3 months. Then the procedure was long (10 months) because the psychitric evaluation must be serious and the "expert" psychiatrist doctors must provide a good report to the association. As a rule (but not always), the association also needs the report of the patient's psychiatrist + the patient's doctor. Fortunately for me, my psychiatrist had changed his mind and also agreed to make a report for the association and my doctor also agreed.
All of these reports are only valid for 6 months and assisted suicide can only be done within 6 months. So if we want to wait more than 6 months for the suicide, we must be sure that the doctors will agree to redo the reports.

You see it is possible to have an assisted suicide for psychic illness. There are also Swiss-to-Swiss associations for foreigners living abroad. But the hardest part is finding doctors who will agree to make these reports.

This is my story. I haven't chosen a date yet.
I still have time.

If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate.

However, I will not be able to answer before Tuesday.

See you next time.

Sorry for the mistakes.

Thank You everybody
actually this made me hopeful for a peaceful death. i hope everything turns out as you want
Thank you
Happy for you that you will have a peaceful exit. I would love to apply but I don't think my doctor would ever sign off on it.
Thank you. Maybe you can find another doctor. But it's true that it's very hard to find.
I'm also happy for you. I hope this will become a viable option in more countries. The suffering mental illness can cause is underestimated in my opinion. There's a Dutch documentary by Vice called 'Too young to die'. Which is about young people with mental illness who have applied for assisted suicide. So yeah, it's already possible in some countries. It has English subtitles.

Thank you so much. I will have to watch this documentary.

It is true that no one realizes how much we can suffer psychically.

You have all my empathy.

I know that 2 countries are even more open than Switzerland for assisted suicides for mental illness: Belgium (Flemish region) + the Netherlands.
If the OP could provide links or more information on how to begin/apply for this process that'd be much appreciated!
I would give some information on this procedure after having all the messages.
Glad to hear you will have a peacful exit, best of luck to you buddy.
Thanks my friend.
Good luck to you too
Glad to hear that you are approved for the process and I hope you find peace in whatever you choose to do as well as during the interim. :hug:
Thank you so much. For now I'm not going to "rush",
GOD!!! I wish had assisted suicide for mentally ill people in america. Would make my life way more easier.
Yes, you're right. I understand you. You have all my sympathy and compassion for your suffering. I hope things will change.
That's amazing, I really hope it works out for you and maybe helps make a case for more to follow in the future as well.
I thank you. Cases of assisted suicide for mental illness are very rare in Switzerland (the country is not very open). Belgium (Flemish region) and the Netherlands) are much more open to this.
I hope this will evolve and everywhere on the planet. And that it will be a free thing too.

No one on earth deserves to suffer and everyone has the right to go whenever they want.

But we have to change things.

You are all in my heart.
I'm so happy for you (:

Thank you for your kind message
Thank You everybody

Thank you

Thank you. Maybe you can find another doctor. But it's true that it's very hard to find.

Thank you so much. I will have to watch this documentary.

It is true that no one realizes how much we can suffer psychically.

You have all my empathy.

I know that 2 countries are even more open than Switzerland for assisted suicides for mental illness: Belgium (Flemish region) + the Netherlands.

I would give some information on this procedure after having all the messages.

Thanks my friend.
Good luck to you too

Thank you so much. For now I'm not going to "rush",

Yes, you're right. I understand you. You have all my sympathy and compassion for your suffering. I hope things will change.

I thank you. Cases of assisted suicide for mental illness are very rare in Switzerland (the country is not very open). Belgium (Flemish region) and the Netherlands) are much more open to this.
I hope this will evolve and everywhere on the planet. And that it will be a free thing too.

No one on earth deserves to suffer and everyone has the right to go whenever they want.

But we have to change things.

You are all in my heart.

Thank you for your kind message

Now I can tell you about assisted suicide in Switzerland.
Here is the message I had prepared:

Here,

Sorry for only writing now.
I wanted to talk to you about assisted suicide in Switzerland.
In Switzerland there are a lot of organizations for assisted suicide, of which I give you the links:

You will see, some associations give a lot of information and others very little.
Some provide information in a foreign language and others in one of Switzerland's national languages (German, French, Italian, Romansh).
If sometimes you lack information, it is best to write an email to one of the associations.

But one thing is certain, it is possible to have assisted suicide for mental illness in Switzerland, but it can be easy but above all difficult.
It all depends on the organizations whether you are Swiss or foreign, whether you live in Switzerland or abroad.
In short, it is more difficult (procedurally) if you live abroad and it is very expensive if you live abroad.

The procedure (at the doctor's level) can be as difficult as it is not always easy to find doctors who will agree to do the medical paper explaining your mental health for the association. Sometimes you will need 1 or 2 doctors. Sometimes they have to work in Switzerland. It's not easy to find (even your own psychiatrist), sometimes you can do without your psychiatric doctor (but you will still need papers from 1 or 2 doctors).
It is best to ask the association if they know and have contact details of psychiatrists in Switzerland; often associations do not give a list of psychiatrists.
BUT my advice, ask other associations (even those that refuse foreigners etc.) if they have a list of psychiatrists in Switzerland. You can have nice surprises. Some of these psychiatrists in Switzerland speak foreign languages.

Each association with "its exceptions" some refuse foreigners, some refuse to carry out assisted suicides for mental illnesses only etc.
The procedure in case of mental illness can be as complicated or easy. It all depends on the associations.

I said that it can cost "little to a lot" depending on whether you are Swiss or foreign and whether you live in Switzerland or abroad.
Between CHF 100 to CHF 10 -13'000. I would like to point out that CHF are roughly worth EUR and USD. At most there is a factor of 1.1 I guess

Some associations, depending on the state of the proceedings, make small refund and can sometimes help a little by making the cost cheaper ( if you don't have a lot of money).

There is also a rule in Switzerland for assisted suicide: one must be of legal age, have the capacity for discernment, and even perform the act of assisted suicide (drink the product or activate the dial of the infusion).

Here is more information on associations.

It seems to me that the last 3 associations accept foreigners but do not agree to practice assisted suicide for mental illness. A person has the right to have a mental illness, but that is not why he should request assisted suicide. Assisted suicide is expensive.

It seems to me that the 1st association accepts foreigners and it is possible to have an assisted suicide for mental illness. But it's also very expensive (it doesn't matter where you live.)

For the 2nd association, I am not aware.

It seems to me that the 3rd and 4th associations work in a similar way and that their regulations are similar. I don't know anything about the 3rd association but I have a little more information about the 4th association. It seems to me that she does not accept foreigners. You can have assisted suicide for mental illness. Since apparently it's only for the Swiss in Switzerland, it's inexpensive.

What I wrote is my current knowledge and things may have changed and may change in the future. I may also have made mistakes.

There will surely be mistakes in my way of expressing myself but I did my best. Please excuse me.

Hope I could have helped you.
Bye
THIS IS THE GOOD MESSAGE

Now I can tell you about assisted suicide in Switzerland.
Here is the message I had prepared:

Here,

Sorry for only writing now.
I wanted to talk to you about assisted suicide in Switzerland.
In Switzerland there are a lot of organizations for assisted suicide, of which I give you the links:

DIGNITAS

Exit International

Exit
Exit Romandie

Pegasos
Life Circle
Eternal Spirit

You will see, some associations give a lot of information and others very little.
Some provide information in a foreign language and others in one of Switzerland's national languages (German, French, Italian, Romansh).
If sometimes you lack information, it is best to write an email to one of the associations.

But one thing is certain, it is possible to have assisted suicide for mental illness in Switzerland, but it can be easy but above all difficult.
It all depends on the organizations whether you are Swiss or foreign, whether you live in Switzerland or abroad.
In short, it is more difficult (procedurally) if you live abroad and it is very expensive if you live abroad.

The procedure (at the doctor's level) can be as difficult as it is not always easy to find doctors who will agree to do the medical paper explaining your mental health for the association. Sometimes you will need 1 or 2 doctors. Sometimes they have to work in Switzerland. It's not easy to find (even your own psychiatrist), sometimes you can do without your psychiatric doctor (but you will still need papers from 1 or 2 doctors).
It is best to ask the association if they know and have contact details of psychiatrists in Switzerland; often associations do not give a list of psychiatrists.
BUT my advice, ask other associations (even those that refuse foreigners etc.) if they have a list of psychiatrists in Switzerland. You can have nice surprises. Some of these psychiatrists in Switzerland speak foreign languages.

Each association with "its exceptions" some refuse foreigners, some refuse to carry out assisted suicides for mental illnesses only etc.
The procedure in case of mental illness can be as complicated or easy. It all depends on the associations.

I said that it can cost "little to a lot" depending on whether you are Swiss or foreign and whether you live in Switzerland or abroad.
Between CHF 100 to CHF 10 -13'000. I would like to point out that CHF are roughly worth EUR and USD. At most there is a factor of 1.1 I guess

Some associations, depending on the state of the proceedings, make small refund and can sometimes help a little by making the cost cheaper ( if you don't have a lot of money).

There is also a rule in Switzerland for assisted suicide: one must be of legal age, have the capacity for discernment, and even perform the act of assisted suicide (drink the product or activate the dial of the infusion).

Here is more information on associations.

It seems to me that the last 3 associations accept foreigners but do not agree to practice assisted suicide for mental illness. A person has the right to have a mental illness, but that is not why he should request assisted suicide. Assisted suicide is expensive.

It seems to me that the 1st association accepts foreigners and it is possible to have an assisted suicide for mental illness. But it's also very expensive (it doesn't matter where you live.)

For the 2nd association, I am not aware.

It seems to me that the 3rd and 4th associations work in a similar way and that their regulations are similar. I don't know anything about the 3rd association but I have a little more information about the 4th association. It seems to me that she does not accept foreigners. You can have assisted suicide for mental illness. Since apparently it's only for the Swiss in Switzerland, it's inexpensive.

What I wrote is my current knowledge and things may have changed and may change in the future. I may also have made mistakes.

There will surely be mistakes in my way of expressing myself but I did my best. Please excuse me.

Hope I could have helped you.
Bye

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: StateOfMind, meerpasta and redbutterfly
A

ayb

"I'd feel trapped if I couldn't CTB at any time."
Feb 15, 2019
I wish you peace. Good luck.

W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Very happy for you!

I was considering moving back home to Canada, but maybe I should be figuring out how to move to Switzerland or the Netherlands!

sadworld

sadworld

existence is a nightmare
Aug 25, 2020
I hope you find peace :hug:

• Love
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, merem and (deleted member)
M

merem

Jul 23, 2019
Very happy for you!

I was considering moving back home to Canada, but maybe I should be figuring out how to move to Switzerland or the Netherlands!
Thanks you Wish dom, but I thinkNetherland is more open for suicide assited (in mental illness)
I hope you find peace :hug:
Thank you sadword. I hope i'll will find that

Niirvana

Niirvana

♥Soon♥
Sep 18, 2020
Wow, congratulations. What was your diagnosis?

Bauhaus

Bauhaus

Specialist
Jan 18, 2020
Glad you finally found peace, it must have been hell going through this whole procedure with docs and psychiatrists.

AlreadyGone

AlreadyGone

Taking it day by day
Jan 11, 2020
Good luck. I am happy this worked out for you.

Reactions: merem and Deleted member 4993
M

merem

Jul 23, 2019
Thank you. I hope you will find peace
Glad you finally found peace, it must have been hell going through this whole procedure with docs and psychiatrists.
Thank you.
Oh yes, you can say it: but before this procedure of a complicated year I had already lived 3 years earlier 1 year of hell: multiple hospitalization forced, put in 2 "madhouse" for a year when I have lived through hell, loss of all my rights (on decisions of justice because of doctors) I lost my civil and civic rights, the right to have access to my goods, fortune and to manage them myself, I had lost the right to make medical decisions etc.) All this is obviously expensive and I had to pay to be in these homes when I was put against my will. And I also had to pay the person who managed all my property and administrative affairs at my discretion when I had nothing to ask. I was forced to ask for help to accept someone to run my business, they pressured me. And I was put in these homes against my will. And you cannot know all the violence (physical, psychological and mental) that I suffered from the nursing staff, doctors, patients and my own entourage.
In any case, after this hellish year I came out traumatized and my fortune was greatly reduced.
In any case I can tell you that when we talk about suicide or assisted suicide for mental illness, this report full of troubles = 1 year of hell.
I didn't only get into trouble for that and I also have my share of the responsibility, but it was still a main cause.

Fortunately, I regained all my rights. After for a year I tried to find my own project "but unfortunately it could not be completed and there are plenty of problems which made me live" intense mini hell ". So I found myself forced to again talking about assisted suicide a year ago, but this time it worked without any problems, but it was very hard.

But I can tell you that between 3 years ago and now. All "these hells" have demolished me, I am even worse and I suffer even more. See or meet doctors, psychiatrists, patients etc. terrorize me. For me they are not human, it is they who need care. And for me these hospitals, homes etc are only places of torture filled with madmen, torturers etc.
I no longer trust the medical world.
If we put them through what they put us through, I don't know in what state he would come out. They are the sick.

Sorry for those very harsh words, but I have had very bad experiences in recent years. But I suppose there are also good places with good caregivers but this is rare.

Last edited: